Anyone have robotic hysterectomy... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have robotic hysterectomy... Anyone have robotic hysterectomy...

Unread 05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Anyone have robotic hysterectomy...

Any stories about the robotic hysterectomy? I just saw today on all my papers at the hospital that they are doing robotic surgery for my hysterectomy. My Urogyn had hinted at it, but I haven't seen my GYN yet....

and if you did have it, how was it? Inquiring nervous minds want to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM

I underwent a partial robot procedure -- my surgeon uses Da Vinci for his suturing. I'm told it allows for incredibly fine stitching. My TLH was my first major surgery, so I can't compare it to anything... but I healed up very well, quicker than expected, with no onfections or other nastinesses.
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM

I had a full hyst that was robotic assisted 11 days ago. I feel great. I am going back to next week. I would compare my recovery to my lap appy. I was out of the hospital the next morning and felt great in a few days. My doctor has done 6 and says that this method is the best he has ever seen. I am 29 and had this procedure for chronic abd pain. Doc found adhesions and a cyst. I honestly think I had more pain before the surgery then 2 days after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2007, 06:22 AM

I know someone whose surgeon used DaVinci for her myomectomy, and everything went well. That surgeon does robotic hyst too, but this person was wanting to preserve her fertility, so she chose myomectomy. The only issue is that now the fibroids may be growing back.

GOOD LUCK!
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:13 PM

txangel,

I am scheduled for a DaVinci modified radical hysterectomy on July 31st. After reading up on the procedure, it sounds like an excellent option. According to by gyn/onc, there is less pain, less bleeding and faster recovery time.

She also said she had done 6 procedures using DaVinci - that made me a little nervous but it sounds like your experience was good (I just don't want to be the first!)

It's been three weeks for you now since surgery -- how are you feeling?
Unread 06-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Hi Livinthedream,

What does "modified radical" mean?

I'm happy that I'm a candidate for less invasive surgery, but I'm starting to get nervous...

I have my last period right now -- wow!
Unread 06-10-2007, 09:39 AM

Hello. I had laparoscopy and Da Vinci for a complete hyst (BSO). The surgery is said to go more smoothly with less potential for harm. Some Da Vinci surgeons end up with three, four, or five tiny tiny incisions. I ended up with four, two just inside my hips, one longer one (about 1 1/4 inches) above my belly button, and one over near my left-side floating rib (the last rib, but slightly lower). Except for the one above the navel, the incisions were about 1/2 inch. I think my recovery was excellent as a result, and the problem I ran into was my own doing. Because I seemed to be healing so well externally, I ended up overdoing it with the lifting and bending, not listening to doctor's orders. I ended up tearing up my internal stitches (the vaginal ones) and on my bed, complete bedrest orders, for three weeks.

So it seems to me the only down side of Da Vinci is that the speed of healing might lead you to forget that you have internal stitches, so be careful and listen to what your doctor and the staff say about what you are able to do!

Best wishes with it.
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:57 PM

Hi Rainbow,
A modified radical (this is a non-medical version of the dr.s explanation) is similar to a total hysterectomy (cervix and uterus removed) but also removes more of the surrounding tissue around the cervix and near the upper vagina. They are recommending more tissue removal because of the adenocarcinoma diagnosis. They believe they removed all the tumor in the cervix, but there was more in situ (precancerous) cells throughout the sample, so to be sure there everything is clean they want to remove more than would normally done with just a total hysterectomy. I have had some ongoing pain in my left side and back, so I told my gyn/onc to take a good look at that ovary and if anything looks funky to please remove that while she is at it.

BlueHeron - thanks for the advice on taking it easy. I will definitely keep that in mind. I am actually looking forward to having some down time off from work, and think I will milk this for all its worth!
Unread 06-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Livingthedream, I'm sorry that you have to cope with that diagnosis and ongoing pain, in addition to all the other concerns about surgery, etc.

BlueHeron, thank you for the reminder that even if you feel good after lap hyst, your insides are still vulnerable because they are healing. I am going to tell my DH to keep an eye on me to make sure I don't overdo it!

Have a nice day, everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register