Chills 1 wk post op ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chills 1 wk post op ??? Chills 1 wk post op ???

Unread 03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

Hi girls! I'm sure you can help me with this one. I am usually VERY hot natured. But the last few days I have been freezing - chills and goose bumps. I need two big comforters to sleep and then I wake up with a sweaty chest & shirt! My feet sweat, but feel cold. I don't believe it would be from infection because I have no fever. Is it hormones? Anyone else with this problem?? Other than the chills, I am doing great!

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy with left ovary removal. I still have my right ovary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

Hi angeldawn. I had the same thing, but mine didn't kick in until 2-3 weeks post-op. I woke up freezing at about 3 in the morning 2 nights in a row. I was so cold (could practically feel it in my bones) that the only way I could warm up was to go sit in a warm bath (I wasn't "approved" to take a bath yet but I knew that I had to do it). Once I got out of the bath, I cranked up my heating pad on high and laid in bed under a heavy comforter with my heating pad on my swelly belly. It definitely helped. In addition, I told my dr. about my cold episodes. He took some blood to make sure that there was no infection (there wasn't). He said that it most likely had to do with my hormones/ovaries trying to restart after surgery and that it would only be temporary. So far, he's right. Haven't had it again. Just to be safe, you should check with your dr. about it, though. He/she may want to check you for an infection. Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

Thanks so much for the response. That's the same way I feel - I can not keep warm! If I get out from underneath my blanket the goose bumps automatically appear! It's good to know that someone else had this problem and are doing fine. I think I will give my Dr a call just to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

I usually sleep nude and sometimes have night sweats. Since the surgery though...very cold...going to bed in a sweatshirt, pants and socks! Not sure what it's about but at least others are experiencing the same thing.
Unread 03-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

I was very hot natured before surgery to the point of getting sick from being hot. Now I am cold all the time, I went to GP and he tested my thyroid and its not working like it should, now im still a little cold but have to wait on blood work to see if need increase in meds. right after surgery I was so cold I would set thermastat to 80 wear sweats and a blanket and still be cold. so glad its getting better. but its worth a check to see and not freeze. have a great day
Unread 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

Hi there, yes I was the same up to about 2 weeks post op. Doc told me that sometimes your thyroid can go sleepy after such an op which results in the shivers. It does get better when it decides to wake up x x
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

My doctor had some lab work done on Friday to determine if my one ovary is producing hormones. He said I may need HRT. We thought by leaving the one healthy ovary I would be okay hormonewise... Oh well!! Should know on Monday. Thanks again girls!

~ 10 days post op and doing great!!! ~
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Chills 1 wk post op ???

your ovary may also be sleepy i've read that on the site several times. you are only 10 days out, so i hope it wakes up soon and you can avoid hrt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register