Pre-op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op questions Pre-op questions

Unread 11-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Pre-op questions

Hi I need help!

I am to have surgery tomorrow morning but because I am doing in a county hospital through their clinic, I really have not had too much contact with a doctor. In fact I don't know the doctor who is doing the surgery and I have many questions, specially about my sexual satisfaction after the surgery. Like I said I haven't been able to speak to a doctor about this, and I am considering postponing my surgery. I have a prolapsed uterus, I don't have any bleeding, only the discomfort of the uterus pressing on my bladder and the urgency to urinate. I do experience pelvic and back pain, but it's not that bad. I am 48 years old and are post menopausal. The doctors at the clinic told me I was to have a complete hysterectomy, through the vagina. It is my option to remove one or two ovaries or leave them there. They have told me that my ovaries have already began their process I more than likely I will be complety meanaupasal in a few years. I believe I am going to have my cervix removed also. My question and fear is this, what's it going to be like after, I am still going to have the sexual sensation that I have now?, should I remove both ovaries or leave one. Should I get more information so I could be more prepared and ready for this surgery? I am scared and confused. The sexual thing has me really worried, as well as going into a sudden menopause, please can someone help me with this I need to make a decision right away I am only hours away!
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Re: Pre-op questions

It would be really nice if you could talk to a doctor about this. All I can do is tell youmy experience. I am 49 (48 at time of TAH/BSO) and was going into menopause according to my hormone levels,though my periods were still regular. I had everything removed, and sex is great. I have had some vaginal dryness but that is being taken care of through hormones - oral and cream. You have to make the decision as to what will be best for you. Remember that everyone is different and reacts differently to this surgery. Since you can't talk with a doctor, please do as much research as you can and make the decision that is best for YOU! Best of luck to you.
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Thank you junebugsgarden, I appreciate you telling me about your experience, I'm still scared and I feel I should be more informed. I would really like to hear from more women out there who have this shared experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM

I am 42 and just had my total LAVH/LSO on 10/5, I had to leave an ovary becuase I can not take hormones. I am not cleared for sex yet so I can not say from personal experience, but I can say that my good friend had her SVH/BSO last year at the age of 43 and is now wishing she would have had the cervix taken also because she still has to go for annual papsmears! I asked about the vaginal dryness thing and sex, she said she didn't notice much and that he just has to work a little harder now (she doesn't take hormones) but that sex was just as good as it used to be. The biggest issue for her was fear before the first time. She recommended when you have sex for the first time, make sure you are with a caring partner (i am single, she is married) who will go slow and put you first incase you want to stop, but she said no issues.

You will see the doctor before the surgery, at least i did, I had to ask to see my doc but she did take the time to come see me. So you can ask him/her...good luck!
Unread 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM

I had started to have symptoms of menopause about 2 yrs ago. I'd get night sweats, hot flashes and I was beyond cranky. My dr. put me on BCPs for HRT and it worked beautifully. I'd been on those right up to my surgery in July, so it's hard to tell where I was in the menopause cycle and I worried about being thrown into to full-blown menopause. I had a couple of night sweats right after surgery, but none since. I get warm flashes now and then, but they're not bad. I feel like my mood is better than ever (no highs and lows). The sexual part has also been wonderful too. I am using a Estrace vaginal cream but nothing else. I hope your experience will be as positive as mine has been.
Unread 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM

luly0104 -

I had a robotically assisted laproscopic hysterectomy last year. It was a total hysterectomy including uterus and cervix. I also had a bi-lateral oopherectomy where they took both tubes and ovaries. I went into surgical menopause (full-blown, felt like I was run over by a truck) 5 days after surgery. I have had to get pain issues w/ intercourse resolved and had some sexual dysfunction that is now clearing up (11 months after surgery date). Even if your ovaries are going menopausal on you they will continue to produce some hormones well into old age, just not as much as before. That being said they can go to sleep (due to changes in blood flow) brought on by the surgery sometimes they wake-up and sometimes they don't.

It took me a little time to get used to no cervix during intercourse because it caused me no pain previously. If yours does you may find intercourse more enjoyable.

Since you are scared, confused and haven't had time to talk to the doctor doing your surgery you may want to take a little time so you can get your questions answered but that is my humble opinion and not a medical opinion.

Everybody is different, many have no issues after the surgery at all. Some say knowing less is better but others say "why didn't anybody tell me"

Check out the hysterectomy checkpoints so you can know a bit of what to expect.

G.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register