Keep the cervix or no? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep the cervix or no? Keep the cervix or no?

Unread 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Re: Keep the cervix or no?

Tess, how often do you find yourself having a period and how long do they last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Reading through the many threads on the site on this topic, you will find that there are many women and doctors who have passionate opinions on the subject! Interestingly enough, many of them contradict each other, including some of the medical research! Additionally, there are a wide variety of outcomes from both camps. We have women on the site on both sides pleased with their decision, and women on both sides unhappy with their decision.

Thus, it is very important that each woman do her own research, talk to her own doctor, and seek at least a second opinion to determine what is right for her!

My entire uterus was removed as it was all affected by the condition that lead to my hysterectomy--endometriosis. I am pushing 10 years post op with absolutely no negatives from not having the cervical portion of my uterus. Pelvic support is fine, sex is fine, vaginal moisture is fine, everything is fine! Having had and now not having a cervix, I can say that there has been no noticeable difference in my body regarding that body part. I no longer have uterine contractions with orgasms but those would likely have been gone even if I had been able to keep the cervix. For what it is worth, my mother also had a complete hysterectomy over 20 years ago and she has had no ill effects from not having her cervix either.

There is no absolutely right or wrong answer, but we each have to live with our decision, right or wrong. What is right for one woman may be completely wrong for another.

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM

I had my uterus and cervix removed exactly one year ago today (LAVH). I remembering trying to decide what was best, also. I have not had any problems whatsoever with it being gone. Sex is the same. No incontenince. And NO PERIODS!!!! NO CRAMPS!! Wow, it is nice.
The recovery was hard, but in the long term it sure has its benefits. I feel strong and healthy now and am so thankful.
LAVH 8-4-09
kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ccScootergal View Post
I asked my surgeon whether I should keep my cervix or not and he said that the majority of women have the cervix removed during hysterectomy. He said that some women feel that the cervix is related to sexual function and that's why they choose to keep it. I asked what the difference would be and he said that if I had it removed I wouldn't have to get pap smears any more.

Any thoughts on this, ladies? Keep or leave? What difference will it make in the long run?
Keep it, my doctor is a woman and she says it is better for sexual function.

Hope it helps...
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Keep it, my doctor is a woman and she says it is better for sexual function.
Interesting. My doctor is a woman, too ... not that it matters. Female doctors don't take different classes or have access to different medical publications from male doctors.

For what it's worth, I am over eight years post TVH - that is, my cervix, as part of my uterus, was removed eight years ago. I do not miss it one tiny bit. I also continue to have pap smears every year, although now they're called vaginal vault smears, because it is still possible to get cancer on the vaginal cuff after the cervix is removed. In fact, I had one last week.

While some doctors insist that the cervix helps prevent prolapse and contributes to sexual pleasure, my experience has been that it did neither. My uterus prolapsed rather nicely while I still had my cervix; in fact, it was leading the way. There is no way that keeping it would have helped with pelvic support.

As for the sexual pleasure controversy, if you happen to be one of the minority of women for whom the sensation of your partner "bumping" the cervix is pleasurable, you might miss it. However, most of us find that sensation rather painful and are just as glad to have it gone. And I can attest to the fact that the cervix is not necessary in order to have adequate lubrication - that has much more to do with the ovaries, since the vaginal walls need estrogen to stay moist and elastic.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM

I agree with all of the above posts - the bottom line is to research, ask questions, weigh up the pros and cons of total versus partial hyst, and then decide for yourself. It IS a difficult decision, without a doubt. And sadly, neither option truly offers 100% guarantees of no potential problems down the road.

Good luck to the sisters agonizing over the choice, I have been there! My Gyn never mentioned a total hyst, from the word go he told me he would only be removing the uterus. I spent weeks doing research and did ask about mini periods, he said they were unlikely to occur and if they did, it would be a few drops. I can live with that (first prize would be no drops of course) but honestly, after years of bleeding to the point of extreme anemia this still sounds like hitting the jackpot! I am only 6 weeks post op, it may be too soon to tell, but so dar, no signs of anything crimson.

The important thing is to make sure your Gyn has a LOT of experience in doing the LSH. The outcome of any surgery rests on the skill of the surgeon, and this is not the time to be used as a guinea pig or to be one of his/her patients bringing his experience up to scratch. The Drs who have high comeback of mini periods should perhaps start questioning their surgical technique.
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Hi,

I had uterine fibroids, but my cervix looked healthy and removing it posed some significant risk to my bladder. So, just part of my cervix was left. Unfortunately, the cervix is actually part of the uterus and what is affecting your uterus, can affect your cervix in the future.

I now have fibroids growing on what is left of my cervix. Since fibroids are estrogen fed, I have to keep my estrogen levels low in order to control them.

Kay
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Kay, there is so much the doctors don't tell you... heal time 6-12 mos and now keeping part of my cervix which are able to get fibroids again with HRT. Thank you for your response, there are so many questions not enough truthful answers. I guess we really are so individual there is no right answer for anyone.
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM

No women doctors don't have different classes than men but in my opinion men don't understand what we have to suffer - even the doctors.
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:29 PM

After my Dr gave me the info to go home and think about it,I was given the option to keep or remove, I elected to remove my cervix, however my friend who had the same Dr elected to keep hers and ended up with partial cervix. She kept hers for sexual pleasure.
I was happy for mine to go as there was no way I wanted anymore bleeding .
Good luck with your decision and have no regrets whichever way you go!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register