Psyllium husk? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Psyllium husk? Psyllium husk?

Unread 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Psyllium husk?

Just curious, has anyone tried psyllium husk supplements? I am almost 4wks post-op (TAH,bladder sling,TT) and starting to experience constipation again....Decided to pick some up last night during my Trader Joe's run.. I am hoping to get some relief SOON!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Re: Psyllium husk?

i've used psyllium husks for years. take it in the evening with A LOT of water/fluid. don't take with vitamins, because you won't absorb them.

the next day you'll be "cleaned out"...but not like a laxative, it's more subtle.

i started to notice constipation at week 3, even though i'm eating the same diet as before....i'm planning to have psyllium at bedtime tonight
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:53 PM

thanks makana!
I am trying to to get frustrated, but I hadn't really had any problems with constipation until this week, and I also have not changed any of my eating habits! I noticed our procedures were only one day apart. I also had TAH, wondering if constipation is worse with abdom surgery rather than lap...
wish me luck with my psyllium tonight!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2010, 05:23 PM

I use PH whenever I need a good cleansing. Definitely drink lots of water with it because it will have the opposite affect if you don't.
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:07 PM

I take fiber advance.My visiting nurse told me to try it and se if it helps...So far so good!
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:18 PM

nini7...i have also used a stool softener every 2 or 3 days the last week and 1/2. actually didn't need it after 2nd week, then everything got clogged up again !! i think this is natural for our TAH procedures.

i feel like psyllium is more natural...that's why i'm converting to that tonight.

like ltbrown said though...if you don't include a lot of water with it, it can clog you up...so don't forget that part

best of healing to you.

p.s. i don't know about you...but i am amazed at how long it takes to heal from this !!! beforehand i just thought about the incision...but there are so many involved areas...(like the colon)
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
p.s. i don't know about you...but i am amazed at how long it takes to heal from this !!! beforehand i just thought about the incision...but there are so many involved areas...(like the colon)
tell me about it! even though the incision site looks good, I seem to get ahead of myself and try and get back to normal, then I get my butt kicked and realize, its going to be a long haul getting to a full recovery..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register