5 weeks post hysterectomy tomorrow ..still struggling! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy tomorrow ..still struggling! 5 weeks post hysterectomy tomorrow ..still struggling!

Unread 03-28-2016, 03:00 PM
5 weeks post hysterectomy tomorrow ..still struggling!

5 weeks post op.tom and still struggling...just going out a few hours makes me tired and sore..I have to go back to work in a week too..so feeling little.stressed..I am almost off my pain meds...so maybe that is some of this..idk but beyond frustrated..anyone else had this experience??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Re: 5 weeks post op tom..still struggling!

Hi Mary6381. You are not alone! I was definitely still struggling at 5 weeks. I was lucky that my GYN didn't clear me for work until I was 8 weeks, so I had additional time at home. I arranged it with my employer to start work gradually. I worked Mon, Wed, Fri my first week. My second week I worked each day but only 5 hours. Each week I increased my hours until I was back at full time. Even with all this, I was very sore, swollen and fatigued. I came home each day and did nothing... just rested. I felt empathy for my body, which was trying hard to get better. Do everything you can for yourself... lots of rest, water, walks, and good nutrition. If you feel returning to work in a week is too much, call your doctor and ask for more time off. If you have a job that is stressful, requires physical exertion, or being on your feet all day let your doctor know this as well, as this makes a difference.

Give yourself TLC and I hope you feel better soon!

Unread 03-28-2016, 04:19 PM

Hello,

I had a TAH and still have the swelly belly starting my seventh week but my tenderness has went down significantly in the 4-6 week period. I feel much improved now than from two weeks ago. I return to work tomorrow for 2 days a week only since I have a physically demanding job. I am lucky that my doctor and management are letting me return on this part time basis for four weeks. It does get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Week 5 was the transitional week for me. That's when I started to feel like I could function mentally and a bit more physically. I went back to work at 6 weeks, but it was a little early, and I was able to take one more week off. The real improvements came at weeks 7-8, although I was still really tired most of the time. Hang in there. You're still in your initial recovery period and you have a bit more of the same ahead of you, but you'll get there. Every week from here on in should show some major improvement.
Unread 03-28-2016, 04:50 PM

You guys that get to have more time or can come back slowly are lucky..I don't have that option as I have no more sick leave left and my sub is now over( I work as a Speech therapists in elem school). I did get permission to work modified schedule so I will leave as needed early first 2 weeks back..I just wish that the drs had been more realistic with me and told.me this originally so that I could have arranged for maybe more.time somehow think they downplay this recovery a lot....it is what it is..I suppose it is gonna be rough no matter when I go back..I just was hoping by now I would be much more back to normal then I am..I am trying to still take it easy this last week and rest when i can and praying I will.be ok..😕
Unread 03-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary6381 View Post
You guys that get to have more time or can come back slowly are lucky..I don't have that option as I have no more sick leave left and my sub is now over( I work as a Speech therapists in elem school). I did get permission to work modified schedule so I will leave as needed early first 2 weeks back..I just wish that the drs had been more realistic with me and told.me this originally so that I could have arranged for maybe more.time somehow think they downplay this recovery a lot....it is what it is..I suppose it is gonna be rough no matter when I go back..I just was hoping by now I would be much more back to normal then I am..I am trying to still take it easy this last week and rest when i can and praying I will.be ok..😕
The first week may be tiring, and it's good you have a modified schedule. By your 7th week, you'll start to feel much better. I also found that while I was at work, I was totally distracted from thoughts of the surgery, so pain-wise I felt much better. I just wasn't thinking about it 24/7 like I was when I was stuck at home.

You'll do fine!
Unread 03-28-2016, 04:57 PM

I go back in 2 weeks and can't even begin to imagine how I'll be able to work. I teach deaf and hard of hearing kids but I don't have to go to lunch with them. I've already gotten it in my head that I should just plan on going out to my car and laying back during the lunch period. I ran errands for 1.5 hours today (with my daughter driving), and I came back and slept for 1.5 hours. Lol. Just seems so crazy. I'm almost 3 weeks postop.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register