Vitamin C | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Vitamin C

Can anyone please tell me if I am allowed to take Vitamin C 10 days prior to my surgery? My Dr. is on a cruise this week and his nurse doesn't seem to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Vitamin C

Call the hospital and ask for the department that does pre-op or the anesthesia department. The anesthesiologist determines what you can take, not your gynecologist. His nurse should have instructed you to do this, or she could have done so on your behalf.

I'm not aware that Vitamin C is disallowed. I took a regular multi-vitamin with iron up to the day before surgery. Call to be sure.
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Vitamin C

I took Vitamin C up to the day before my surgery.

Doesn't your doc have a doc covering for him while he is away? Seems strange that there is no one to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Vitamin C

My (unqualified) opinion is that you should continue taking your vitamin C all the way through as it is very beneficial to healing.
Unread 03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Vitamin C

I take Vit C and Vit E. Along with my synthroid. I take my Vit. the night before and will take my synthroid in the morning before surgery. Just with a tiny sip of water. This is what they told me at my pre-op
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Vitamin C

My doctor specifically said to take my multivitamins right up to the day before the surgery - he's concerned about anemia in my case, as well as the infection I'm just getting over. The vitamins I'm taking right now don't have any herbal-type supplements included and have been approved by my doctor as appropriate.

The only thing I'm under orders to not take the last week before surgery would be ibuprofen/aspirin type products (Tylenol ok).

However, as many have already noted, you should take this up with whoever is covering for your doctor and your anesthesiologist, as there may be reasons why these instructions wouldn't be right for you.
Unread 03-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Vitamin C

I was told to discontinue all NSAID's and vitamins for 2 weeks prior to surgery. She worries about the extra vitamins causing problems with bleeding. (I megadose on B-complex and C during the winter)

Seems each doctor is different.
Unread 03-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Vitamin C

thanks for all the advice that I received, I will be going to my PC today and hopefully he can shed some light on the whole thing, as far as my doctor having a doctor on call, his practice is himself and his wife which they are both out of town, and yes I believe his nurse should be able to answer my questions. I will keep you all posted on what I was told, hopefully my illness doesnt cancel my surgery!
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Vitamin C

So sisters I just got back from my PC, and he said that I can drink and eat foods with Vitamin C but not to take the pills before surgery, he also set my mind at ease with telling me that I have a sinus infection and that it wont effect my surgery one bit! yeah!!!! so 9 days and counting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register