Depression............. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression............. Depression.............

Unread 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Depression.............

I have had 2 major surgeries in 4 months, a hysterectomy in April and in August (20th) major abdominal surgery caused by adhesions.I still have one remaining ovary. I just feel so depressed. I keep bursting in to tears all the time and feel just so miserable. My hubby has been fantastic, but even he doesn't know what more he can do other than hug me and comfort me. I'm really trying to get back into a routine. I hate being ill and a patient. I know some of this is only time.

Just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way and what you are doing about it.

Sammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Depression.............

Hi Sammy

I am really sorry that you have had 2 major surgeries in a short time but sweetie, please try not to feel so sad and depressed how are you feeling now physically? are you in any pain? you have a loving husband that loves you and is taking care of you, that is so sweet. I can understand how you feel, but really, this is only temporary. this will pass really soon and you will have your life back in no time.

take each day at a time, look at the good things that are around you, take deep breaths, listen to nice music, read you fav. books/magz., and put it all into a good recovery so you wont go thru this again.

praying for God to comfort you and give you a fresh, new strenght!
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Depression.............

I had two major surgeries in a two year span so it is a little different. I had a couple of blue days after each one. I think it comes from hormone changes and major changes in your life. Where the surgeries emergency? Sometimes that contributes to not being ready to accept it.
Just know that it's not all you because the hormone thing can make your reactions feel more extreme. If the blue days are not going away I definitely would talk to your doctor about it. Your dr will be able to prescribe something to help you! I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Depression.............

Hi Sammy!

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a low mood. From having a TAH/BSO in 2003, and a colon resection due to stage III colon cancer less than four years afterwards, I have come to the conclusion that major surgery (even if there is a positive outcome) of any kind is a shock to the body and just about anything can happen afterwards as a result.

What helped me was to be very frank with my family and friends about what I was experiencing, e.g., "I am feeling a little disjointed and messed up after my surgery, so bear with me if I seem a tad off." Just "putting it out there" was a major relief. People were understanding (or at least tolerant!) as a result.

Hang in there! You are right on target with the belief that "time will be your friend" in this journey.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Depression.............

Hi Sammy,
Take one day at a time and know that we're here to listen.
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Depression.............

I had a TAH/BSO a little over a week ago. I find myself to have bouts of crying and feelings of sadness mostly in the late afternoon till sundown. It has been getting better everyday. I am not to take any hormones because of my endo, and I really want to see if it gets better before I ask for antideppressants, till my six week checkup. I also think as I start to do more things and my life starts getting back to normal, the deppression starts wearing off more and more. But I just wanted you to know that you werent alone. Hang in there!
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Depression.............

I had a few days when I first got home that made me cry. I know my reasons, if they aren't reasonable. I'm crying because I hate the fact that I can't take care of my family. I hate watching my husband do the laundry or the cooking. I am bored (off work every summer) and hate not doing anything. I know I need to take it easy and let my family take care of me, but I truly hate it.

Just know that in time the depression will go away.
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Depression.............

Thank you for all you kind words. I'm still in some pain and taking a variety of analgesia and anti-inflamatoires. Both surgeries were "emergency/urgent" in nature and I haven't had an opportnity to come to terms with being a very independent hard working woman to being so reliant on everyone else.

I am going to speak to my GP for some anti-depressants.

To everyone out there, hang in, I'm sure I'll get over this the same way others have, (guess I'm feeling a little more possitive than when I first posted earlier today).

Thank you

Sammy
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Depression.............

Im sorry that you are feeling so depressed, I hope that you will start to perk up some. Im also feeling depressed off and on too, it seems like everything makes me sad now
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Depression.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMYBABIE
I have had 2 major surgeries in 4 months, a hysterectomy in April and in August (20th) major abdominal surgery caused by adhesions.I still have one remaining ovary. I just feel so depressed. I keep bursting in to tears all the time and feel just so miserable. My hubby has been fantastic, but even he doesn't know what more he can do other than hug me and comfort me. I'm really trying to get back into a routine. I hate being ill and a patient. I know some of this is only time.

Just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way and what you are doing about it.

Sammy
Sammy,
I totally understand your feelings. I had 2 surgeries 6 weeks apart. I was depressed after both of them and even dealt with depression the last few weeks. I am taking Remifemin now and just started it about 10 days ago. It says that it helps with moods and so far it has done that. I have been lazy on the weekends though. I spend one entire day sleeping in and recovering from a week of work. It is only 9 right now and I am about to go to bed because I am exhausted. I just sleep on my days off.
Try the Remifemin and see if it helps. ALso, exercise helps to improve our outlook on life.
I hope you get to feeling better soon, but know that some of the depression is due to the surgeries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register