8 weeks post LAVH and still not healed all the way | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 weeks post LAVH and still not healed all the way 8 weeks post LAVH and still not healed all the way

Unread 05-15-2010, 12:23 AM
8 weeks post LAVH and still not healed all the way

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a while but have a couple of questions. Is it normal to stitches remaining 8 weeks after LAVH? And when in the world and i going to feel "normal" again? I dont have any discomfort but do have good days and bad days! I have 4 small children..ages 10,5,3.5,&2.5 this is very trying to me because the dr says i still can not do my normal daily routine. all i want is to be there when my kids need mommy to pick them up and hold them and for goodness sakes i really would love to be able to clean my own home! the dr has informed me that doing any of this till with stitches i could do more harm then good....how long should i expect to have these? I try telling her that i feel great but she still will not allow me to do what i need to do as a mom and wife. this is so very fustrating to me. the good days and bad days are all based on my emotions nothing else. Pleas help me i feel like i am all over the place with no one to turn to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Re: 8 weeks post LAVH and still not healed all the way

Everyone heals differently, although 8 weeks seems like a long time, you just had your innerds removed so it really isn't that long, it took almost 12 weeks for my stitches to disolve and for me to heal, ask about silver nitrate to aid with the healing.

Remeber you only get one chance to heal correctly....you deserve to take that time to heal....instead of picking up the kids, when they need you, sit down let them crawl up on your lap....you both win that way!

Good luck...hugs to you!
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:00 AM

I am 11 weeks out from my LAVH and I still am not able to do 1/4 of the things that I was prior to surgery. If I pick up my 8 month old grandbaby or am walking around for more than 1/2 hour I have lots of pressure and pain in the vaginal & anal area. I need to head back to the dr to see if I have caused any damage. ! I returned to work 3 weeks ago and am in pain everyday when I get home.
I know it is frustrating but TAKE IT EASY! Like Mel said, you only get one chance to heal properly....and I think I screwed up big time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Breathe. I know it's frustrating but here's the part we all forget. Where the stitches are...that's just the entry point for your surgery. That's NOT your surgery. You had a major renovation of your insides which takes way longer than 8 weeks to heal. When you hear that women are being released from their surgeons at 6 or 8 weeks, it isn't because they are done healing. It's because the possible major (and immediate) surgical hurdles have been passed. Now it's *just* a matter of time for your body to heal. You only get one chance to heal properly from this...allow yourself that chance. It's worth it. I know. Today is my 4th Hysterversary.

I am doing great and just stopped by to see how things are on the site. Your post caught my eye. I know how frustrating it is to be 8 weeks out and be thinking..."I'm done...I just want to get back to my normal life." And with four kids, I'm sure the pressure (and desire) is even stronger. Try to remember that by taking the time to heal well, you ARE helping your family.

Here's the truth sisters, without any major complications, we are about 40% healed at six weeks, 80% at six months and it takes a full year for us to get back to 100%. That doesn't mean you can't do anything for that long, it just means you gotta cut yourself some slack.

Don't overdo it, drink loads of water, walk (don't lift) and do enough that you can recover your energy off a nap. Hard advice for a mom of four, I know but it will be worth it in the end.

I know it doesn't feel this way, right now, but it does get better.

*sending healing vibes to you all*
Unread 05-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Hi
I am 8 wks post LAVH/BSO and just had my ck up. My stitches inside were "wet" so i had to have the silver nitrate and going back in a week. That was a little stinging!
Anyway, what NYgal said makes a LOT of sense and we need to remember that!

hang in there, I imagine being so busy with your kids m akes it extra hard on you.

Sue
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM

HI,
My vaginal cuff stitches were not dissolved at 4 months. Went in because my DH could feel them poking him during sex (how romantic) and I was still cramping. The doc was not sure why they did not dissolve and tried to get them out but they were too short. They finally dissolved around 5 1/2 months post op.
The emotional stuff may be your hormones trying to level out along with your frustration of wanting to be "normal" again. I understand because I went through it as well.
I know it is VERY frustrating to not be able to do everything. Being a mother of 4 you are probably used to being superwoman. You are still a super woman....you just have to put your cape on a hanger in the closet a little longer.
Newyorkgal summed up the healing timeline like a true sister.
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi girls!

I know that is just like NYgal said,we have to be good to our self and the healing proses is longer than 6 or 8 weeks but some times is just frustrating.
I went to my 6 weeks post op and I was waiting for my doctor to said everything is good, but not, he found that I have a small yeast infection(it's not a big thing compare with all we been through)I think we just need the necessity of feeling good, healthy and to have our life back.
he told me to use monistat (not too bad) I have one more day to go hopefully that in my next visit everything is clear. by the way he was very careful checking my vaginal cuff but I really had a horrible night with pain and swelling but I was feeling better next day.
I'm very scare to have intercourse, I'm tire of pain.
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM

hi ladies thank you all so very much for the advice!! I just didnt realize what came along with the LAVH. My dr told me bits and pieces but said she didnt want to scare the heck out of me...but i think she shoud have so i could have better prepared myself and my family. I really just feel helpless with all things I have to do as a mom of 4 children so small. and like october1 said i am very used to being superwoman so this is very fustrating to me and the kids. I have soccer practice,tball practice,2 soccer games on Saturdays and a tball game. no one seems to understand why i am still not able to do these things and of course you cant bring everyone to the dr with you so no one believes what i am saying! she even wrote me and excusal note and they still didnt listen. I am just very afraid that I am going to need another surgery for not letting myslef heal correctly! I do appreciate all of your comments and advice it means alot to me. I go back to the dr next monday for another check up so we shall see how things go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register