i haven't heard/read this before | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i haven't heard/read this before i haven't heard/read this before

Unread 04-05-2011, 11:13 PM
i haven't heard/read this before

hi ladies -

so yesterday i went to my pre-op appointment with my doctor and she was explaining how she would be performing my procedure. To start off with, i'm also getting a tummy tuck so that being the case, i'm going to have my hysterectomy being cut open...and i'm becoming ok with that.

so here is what she told me...because i'm being cut open, she's going to give me twilight anesthesia and an epidural. being that i'm going to have an epidural, i will be unable to walk for 24 hours...and because i've had 2 epidurals for my c-sections, i know when it comes out of my system, i itch and itch...so if i tell the anesthesiologist, he'll give me something to help with that.

she also explained that because of the c-sections, i may have a lot of scar tissue which can cause issues with my bladder, as the bladder may have attached itself to the scar tissue...and it may end up tearing which means that i may have to wear a catheter for 10 days if that happens.

so has anyone had the surgery with an epidural? and what was your experience?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Re: i haven't heard/read this before

I had a general anesthetic and an epidural and it worked really well. They didn't put the epidural in until I was already 'under' so didn't feel them doing it. I woke up with no pain at all, i could move and wiggle my feet and had a catheter. Seemed as if the epidural was from my belly button to my thighs. They gradually reduced the strength of the epidural the following day, late afternoon and by the evening I was able to get out of bed and have a walk around. Think it helped my recovery to have complete rest that first 24 hours. Also because I elected to have the epidural rather than the morphine button I didn't feel all 'woozy' and drugged up.
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:22 AM

I had a TAH & a TT. I was givin no epidural, just general anesthesic, a pain pump & the morphine drip for the first day. I had 2 different surgeons, a gyn & a plastic surgeon. I am 6 weeks as of yesterday, I've healed pretty well, still have some lower swelling but all & all done pretty good. I think the pain pump was a god send. It dripped medication over my tummy for about 5 or 6 days. Maybe if you don't want the epidural this would be another alternative. Ask your dr about it. I had a "corset" done to my tummy with 5.5 lbs of skin removed & 2 liters of fat liposuctioned. Your gonna love your tummy! Mines flatter & better shaped that ever before! Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisabennett68 View Post
I had a general anesthetic and an epidural and it worked really well. They didn't put the epidural in until I was already 'under' so didn't feel them doing it. I woke up with no pain at all, i could move and wiggle my feet and had a catheter. Seemed as if the epidural was from my belly button to my thighs. They gradually reduced the strength of the epidural the following day, late afternoon and by the evening I was able to get out of bed and have a walk around. Think it helped my recovery to have complete rest that first 24 hours. Also because I elected to have the epidural rather than the morphine button I didn't feel all 'woozy' and drugged up.
thank you for post...it was nice to hear someone else had it done this way...did you itch when the epidural wore off?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register