Looking for some insight from members who had large fibroids - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for some insight from members who had large fibroids Looking for some insight from members who had large fibroids

Unread 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Re: Looking for some insight from members who had large fibroids

I am 3 weeks to the day from my TAH. I dnt know how large in cm my fibroid was only that the Dr. said it was as large as a cantaloupe? I only found out about it back in Dec. I battled anemia and had to have a transfusion a year ago but have had frequent urination and constipation issues for a couple years also a clotting menstrual cycle for about a year or so along with PMS that I never had issue with before. I do not go to the doctor often so when I did go cause I was feeling under the weather we found that My iron levels were half what they should be. My doc was amazed that I drove myself in and was working a 40 HR work week. It was after my transfusion I found a lump in My abdomen but was battling such constipation I thought I was backed up due to the iron I was taking and the doc agreed told me to take Miralax and see how it goes. I went on with life family and work.A year later at work I bent down and had a bad pain in my abdomen.When I grabbed my abdomen I realized The lump I found a year earlier had grown much much larger. I went back to the Dr. And she scheduled me for a scan the next day. They found the fibroid and said I needed a hysterectomy. It was only after reading up on it that I realized all the other stuff going wrong with me was because of this thing. I am so glad to be on the other side of this and glad I had this surgery. Recovery is slower than I like cause I am so used to doing everything myself but I am getting back there. Will be glad to be free of all the complications of my past. Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2015, 09:55 PM

I had a similar experience as you. But I didn't have 1 fibroid. The ultrasound showed 7 each about the size of 7 cm. I actually ended up with 25 when I had the surgery. I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and for me it was worth it. I was so happy to be rid of the heavy periods but not only that. One fibroid was pressing against my bladder and another on my colon. Both were uncomfortable and caused issues. By the time of the surgery, which was abdominal, my
doctor found endometriosis, and my uterus had attached itself to my rectum. The Fallopian tubes were attached too and a fibroid attached itself to my cervix. I also had multiple cysts on both ovaries. Everything was removed except for my ovaries.

I'm grateful for the surgery because I had no clue all of that was happening and like you I said this is my "normal". After 3 opinions (2 weren't enough), I decided it was best. You have to make the correct choice for you. Whether it's a hysterectomy or some other treatment. But you have to be comfortable with the decision and trust the doctor that's doing the procedure.

PS, it wasn't as bad as I dreamt up in my own head. Considering the recovery, it was pretty much a breeze.
Unread 03-04-2015, 07:27 PM

WooHoo123, This was an a very encouraging post like you I am now going through the same thing and I have decided for the SAH and schedule for 04/06 like you I had to explore my options and recently went for a consultant for a UAE/UFE and comes to fine out after my MRI the experience IR found that I had also adenomyosis , 10 fibroids(again ) and one being 6.5 cm goes without saying there is a 50% chance this procedure would work. I had a myomectomy in 2010 were 10 fibroids were removed back then. I tried diet exercise and herbs like goldeseal , false unicorn , cramp bark black mosses , etc and still a "NO GO". The 1st Gyn I went to told me straight up that I am "Fibroid tree" so here I am making a big decision with my the support of my husband after talking with my previous GYN that had birth my 9.9lb son C-section 14 years ago who did a great job and was very honest though out my pregnancy. I am scared but I have my faith and yes , I ready tired of my trips being ruin from it coming whenever. Time to live and appreciation the quality of life.

Good luck Ladies on what you decide.
Unread 04-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Looking for some insight from members who had large fibroids

Krysluvslife ... How did your hyst turn out? I am undergoing similar scenario to you.

I am 45 and otherwise healthy. Long history of large multiple fibroids with heavy bleeding / anemia, bladder pressure etc. tried UFE in 2011 - worked for a bit then new fibroids grew. DaVinci Myomectomy in 2013. Great results. Also had Mirena since right after my myomectomy. Loved it. Next to zero periods. Then this week out of the blue had a giant gusher with about a 2"x6" clot. Scared me so I went to gyn who discovered another large fibroid and apparently also expelled (or swallowed up!) the Mirena.

I'm going to "watch and wait" but dreading the idea of hyst. I would like to hear how you fared when you're up to posting again. Thanks for sharing!!
Unread 04-11-2015, 04:39 PM

Hey Playacalor, Wow it's amazing how we have so much in common I actually rescheduled the surgery I decided that I'm going to get a Tummy tuck the same time as my partial hysterectomy. So goes without saying I'm actually going to be going back on Friday to see my GYN he's going to give me a reference for a plastic surgeon and then I'm going to work on a seeing about getting a consult and possibly coordinating date they can work together for both surgeries for the most part what I am doing is just working out continue to take my vitamins I've actually lost 8 pounds in the last two weeks and then we'll see what happens. Keep you posted!
Unread 04-13-2015, 06:10 PM

krysluvslife - Thanks for the response and good idea to focus on your fitness and incorporate the tummy tuck - might as well while they have you under general anesthesia!.

No matter what you end up doing, surgery will have you out of sorts for a while so getting ahead on your fitness is the best thing you can do! I'm doing the same right now - just trying to ensure I'm in the best shape I can be in case I end up having surgery again.

Best of luck on your surgery! Let us know how it goes.
Unread 04-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Hey Playacolor ,

Thanks for the response. Now for me the partial hysterectomy is the best option only because I have this adenomyosis and new fibroids which tend to love me. I got rule out by 2 IRs for the UFE procedure. They told me the chances is very slim with the procedure being effective and fibroids are too big and too many to pass where there could be possible infection.

Already had 10 remove from my abdominal myomectomy in 2010 and now I have 10 more big ones I look 5 months pregnant. The rest of my body is fine . My monthly menstrual are brutal always good for ruin trips & events. Don't let me talk about the accidents.

Do pretty panties and white pants exist ???? LOL
I will keep taking the Iron , stool softener, Vitamin C and prune juice that help me with the my anemic condition and avoid constipation issues.

I wish you the best with your health , fitness and decision.

Unread 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM

Oh wow, adeno in addition to the fibroids! Sounds like hyst is the only real "resolution" for you. Hang in there and best of luck on a FAST and easy recovery!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register