Upcoming hysterectomy: Questions for Pre-op this week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Questions for Pre-op this week Upcoming hysterectomy: Questions for Pre-op this week

Unread 07-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Questions for Pre-op this week

I have my pre-op appointment on Thursday. I have started to make a list of questions to take. So far I have:

How long do you expect the surgery to last?
Can I not be put on the maternity floor?
Will I have limitations or restrictions? How long
What pain medication will I receive?
Can I get the script before my surgery to have ready when I get home?
What other vitamins or supplements should I take?
When will I have my follow up?
What can I do to manage menopause symptoms?

What a I missing? I understand the actual surgery so I don't have questions about that part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Re: Questions for Pre-op this week

Hi ((aetco08)).

Here's a link that may have some additional questions you may want to ask.

Pre-op Appointment Questions

Unread 07-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Re: Questions for Pre-op this week

How long will hospital stay be, how long will pain meds likely be needed. Also if you need to know if any specific things will be restricted, be sure to ask. For example if you know you have stairs, need to drive etc. Also how the surgery might impact any other medical conditions you might have. For example, my life would have been easier if I had been aware that an asthma flare could be a likely consequence of anesthesia, I would have gotten some extra asthma meds ahead of time. Also what activity levels would be acceptable post surgery. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Questions for Pre-op this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetco08 View Post
I have my pre-op appointment on Thursday. I have started to make a list of questions to take. So far I have:

How long do you expect the surgery to last?
Can I not be put on the maternity floor?
Will I have limitations or restrictions? How long
What pain medication will I receive?
Can I get the script before my surgery to have ready when I get home?
What other vitamins or supplements should I take?
When will I have my follow up?
What can I do to manage menopause symptoms?
What a I missing? I understand the actual surgery so I don't have questions about that part.

Those are all good questions.
What I also asked was
How is the risk of bladder injury (I had adhesions) and what would you do in that case?
I am severe nausea after surgery and with pain medications - how are you managing that?
When can my husband see me after surgery?
Do you have private rooms ?

Since I went to a huge teaching hospital that does this surgery frequently I was pretty sure that everything was standard, and in fact the actual process went smoothly.
I can not imagine that they would have you go to a maternity ward after this surgery - that would be insensitive but it does not hurt to ask...
Unread 07-14-2015, 06:28 PM

That is a great idea about a private room. Thank you. In the hospital where I am having the surgery I believe all of the maternity rooms are private. I think the main rooms are semi. I wouldn't be able to handle a neighbor.
Unread 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM

ask about bowel prep
Unread 07-17-2015, 06:59 PM

I had my appointment yesterday. The doctor was able to answer everything and I felt great after the appointment. Much more at ease. I signed all of my releases and set my pre-admission appointment. That's on the 28th. the Dr told me he doesn't do much of a bowel prep, thank goodness. I did one yesterday for a colonoscopy today. It was awful!

He won't put me on the maternity wing, which is nice, but I need to request a private room during my pre-admission testing. I won't do well with a neighbor so I hope I get what I want.

He did remind me that if he goes in the daVinci and it's more complicated, he will do a TAH.
Unread 07-17-2015, 10:23 PM

I was put on the maternity floor and surprisingly it did not bother me. In fact, I didn't know I was until around 1am when I heard a baby cry. Never heard it after that. Was never pregnant so that will be my one and only time to be a patient on the maternity floor. The nurses were great. Because I was not a maternity patient, I don't think they really knew what to do so they just gave me my pain meds on schedule, checked/changed the IV and let me sleep. They did make sure I ordered snacks from the kitchen before it closed in case I got hungry. I had a small frig in my room where I kept them. The cold fruit and pudding tasted good and soothed my throat which is probably why it never bothered me.
Unread 07-18-2015, 05:04 AM

I saw doc for first time on 7/6, surgery scheduled for 7/24. no "pre-adm" appt. I already had minor surger on 7/12 and some test results. I only had to do an additional blood test, get ekg and clearance ltr. from my cardiologist.

at 7/6 visit I got a whole packet of printedd info. NO APPT Prior to surgery to discuss. I've gotten more info on this Board and on Hysterecomy sisterectomy" on facebook.

I was having questions asked by phone/email with doc's office, but I've been trying since Thur. AM to get in touch with them, but despite numerous attempt via email and their website, no one is getting back to me. MY surgery is now less than a week away.

BOth hospital and dr.s office WERE quick enough to call me about my Co-Pay. No surprise there

And my MAJOR Q is about the bowel prep. I know what the 4 liters of awful tasting liquid is SUPPOSED to do. I take it starting noon the day before (I will already be on liquid diet). What happens if this doesn't work - will surgery be postponed? What if it only works partially? Who do I can at 6pm the night before when doc's office is closed.

I would THINK this is important enough for them to get back to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register