TaH sept 3rd idk what happened | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TaH sept 3rd idk what happened TaH sept 3rd idk what happened

Unread 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
TaH sept 3rd idk what happened

Friday August 27,2010 I had my rpeop and asked my questions where the nurse assured me that they would take my cervix but not my tubes and ovaries unless they were really bad. I told her that I had been taking pain meds a long time and we worked out that I would have Dilaudid in my pain pump and Percoset and tramadol when I went home.
I was very much afraid of being in horrible pain.

I went in Friday Sept 3rd,2010. I didnt have anyone to stay with me. I was dropped off at 630 am and was put into a room where I was given a gown and got naked lol.
A few minutes later a guy tried to start an IV and failed so another woman came in and she ot it . A man came in and told me what to expect of my nurses and such , then my anestisologist said he would give me anxiety meds when we went back.

So they took me back n put my blue hat on and took me to the or room, gave me the anxiety meds abd that is all I remember.

I woke up in excruciating pain and they kept giving me morphine...god it hurt so very bad I begged them to put me back to sleep. they Finally got someting stronger after about an Hour of that horrible horrible pain.
They took me to my room and hooked up my pain pump but it wasnt working very well at all and my catherder wouldnt drain unless I stood up, so a nurse came in and started pushing on and and omg i wanted to die, I cant have catherders in for more than a couple hours or my body will start to bleed and seep trying to reject them.
but they didnt believe me so they kept pushing and prodding till i was screaming. and I told them if they didnt take it out I would leave. So they paged the Doc and I got it out. I still couldnt pee so a few hours later they had to straight cath me. which was just as painful as before. it feels so horrible like rape when you are hurt inside of your female parts. women just should not have to go thru that violation of their body.

It had been hours now and I was still in so much pain I cried and cried and cried. I looked at my pump and it had morphine in it! so I told the nurse and she was mad but she switched it and to get even she put it at the lowest possible does at the max time apart so I spent 2 days in the room in the worst horrible pain.
and then I just had them take it out and give me percs and ultram by mouth and the doc wrote lortatb for in betwen, just in case. I cant have motrin and I have a low pain toleance and most pain meds dont work well, but the ultram and percs worked ok,

I wasnt anywhere near comfortable but i wasnt screaming anymore. I didnt sleep after I woke up from recovery, I couldnt I was in to much pain. and late the second night I called the nurse for my pain meds and she brought me a loratab. so i guesses it wasnt time for my percs yet so I took it and waited an hour, it barely helped. So I called the nurse agian and she told me she wouldnt give me my percs for 4 hours after the loratab!!! and I told her that the loratab was just for short periods of time before I could have my pers. but she refused me!

I started crying I hurt so bad and I couldnt sleep. my back hurt and my incision. I really really wanted to dia t this point. ai called my mom crying and she called the head nurse who immeadiately brought me my percs and apologized for the other nurse. aabut because that nurse was mad at me she came in my room every hour and made a bunch of noise and slammed my doors. but since i didnt sleep amyways, it didnt matter. So it was dischage day and my doc finally came in and told me that the surgery went well he took out everything including my overaies!!!!!!! and i was like what was wrong with them and he said nothing, but he always takes them whem ppl have endo!!!!!

omg so now i have to go thru menopause at 28 because its his standard procedure, and his nurse told me 5 times that he would not ake them unless they were bad!!!

I finally got discharges but the doc gave me loratabs for at home, no ultram. good thing i have some at home or I would still be in horrible pain. It is sunday night. I had my surgery done friday morning and didnt have a single comfortable moment untill i got home, and only because I already had pain med here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Re: TaH sept 3rd idk what happened

BTW I hadnt even passed gas when I left but I could pee on my own, ans still cannot move my bowels. still in a whole lot of pain but I can handle it better at home
Unread 09-05-2010, 09:54 PM

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. Sounds like nothing went right. I hope things go better from here and you have a smooth recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:21 AM

when you are a little better, you should put every little detail in writing and make an official complaint at the hospital!
Just try to relax now that it is over. Maybe you can get your postop appointments with another doctor?
I do hope your recovery will be smooth.
annelies
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:08 AM

Oh you poor poor girl, I can see you're still really hurt and upset and I'm not surprised after all you've been through. You need lots of hugs so here is one from me

I had a similar experience of being in lots of pain when I woke up from the anaesthetic and it was horrific. I described it as being tortured in a horror movie. I am so sorry you had the same thing.

My suggestion would be that you get yourself into bed and stay there! Have all you need right beside you (TV remote, phone, laptop if you have one, dvd, books, jug of water, bowl of fruit etc). Get up for the bathroom and for a short walk (I just walked in my back garden for the first 3 1/2 weeks so I didn't have to get dressed) each afternoon but apart from that, just rest, sleep, read, doze, rest some more...it's time to take it easy and let your body heal really gently.

I'm now 4 1/2 weeks and I've been out a couple of times at the weekend but I have decided today is a bed day. So it's now 2pm and I have had a shower, folded laundry, made coffee and lunch, but inbetween I am resting and I am still in pyjamas and based in bed. I can highly recommend it!

Do try and be kind to yourself,

Lots of love
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM

I have been trying to rest but the best I can do is a couple hours here and there. The pain meds don't work and I told the doctor that before I went in and after when he told me what he wrote, I told him that it will not work, he told me "I already wrote the prescription" and walked out the door.
I get very stiff If I lay down more than 2 hours so I have walked and sat most of the day. Not really doing anything but moving around almost constantly. When I lay down my mind runs and runs like a radio I can't turn off.
My 2 yr old twins cry for me every time they see me. It is so hard not to hold them but when I get around them they find a way to kick or head butt me right where it hurts the most.
I hate to sound like such a whiner and feeling sorry for myself like this....sigh Im sorry about all the complaints. I have a great family. I live with my sis n mom and I could stay in bed all day if I could just get rid of this anxiety.
The doc messed everything up and since everything went bad I am so afraid that he was incompetent at the surgery as well, what if he messed up my insides? I just wish I could stop being so jittery and relax!!
Again I am sorry for the pity party I am just really down.

Thank you all for your support. You have given me a smile on this bad day and I appreciate it very much. I am going to call the doc tomorrow and see if he will switch my meds. And I am 100% sure I have an infection. Just not sure if its yeast or bacteria.

Pray for me to have the first BM lol. Im scared he might have broke something. I know things will get better thanks to you ladies. I really appreciate the replies!!!
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM

So sorry you have had such a horrible experience. Since they took your ovaries, some of the anxiety and things you could be experiencing is from the major hormonal changes and you might need to probably start researching hormone replacement. Perhaps other sisters who are going through hormonal changes could weigh in on this and give you some suggestions....I am afraid I don't know much about it. I have heard that some anxiety can go along with this though.

I can't believe that a dr. would do that without fully consulting you. How awful!! Good luck to you!
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Shisha
Almost every word of what you have written here I could say I had almost the same experience except I was not even close to being as nice to the hospital staff as you sound like you were. My pre-op threads say about the same as what you did before your surgery as for easing my mind, about being sure I'd not be in pain because I also have a bad back and have been on narcotic pain meds for several months, I goto a pain doctor. My gyno agreed to let him continue my pain meds for what I was already being treated and for my surgery if he would agree. My pain doc said it was fine. My gyno seemed to think the surgery pain would be nothing if I was already accustomed to dealing with pain that required me to already been on oxycodone already. Even though I knew this was wrong I was lucky I had my pain doctor, but had two days before I could see him after being discharged.
My gyno assured me that my pain would be controled in the hospital. Also as for my ovaries same story you got, which is understandable. Well after going home and thinking about it a week or so I decided when I was admitted to put it in writing they did not have permission to take them. Also before surgery my doc came in of course and I told him, unless it was going to kill me this week to leave them and I would deal with it later. I did not want to go thru it. He also seen the paper with my note on it. It stated total hysterectomy and a possible salpingo thing. I wrote it right there not permitted. It turned out my doctor said they didn't look bad but I wonder if I hadn't wrote that note. The distrust is horrifying. But I think it is, for me, my brain working overtime. Especially because like you I awoke in horrid pain. They had me on morephine, I was crying too. The nurse came in touching me had her hands in my face with the oxygen, and I was in such pain I think I might've actually slapped her hand away, told her to get out, get the doctor or anesthetist or director, I wanted some relief. I was absolutely awful i think. The anesthetist got there shortly and gave me hydro-morephine(dilaudid).
I was still in alot of pain, they refused to increase it, even the next day my doctor's assistant came into talk to me. Well I was in no mood for him either in so much discomfort and he actually looked like he smirked/half-laugh at me because I was crying. Told me his wife had a hysterectomy last week and she's doing fine, I should be feeling better. (I was like I should feel better after one day huh?) I asked about my ovaries and he said they looked good, then told him if he was going to continue to mock me and not give me something to make my stay more comforting then get the *ell out of my room. I did apologize to the first nurse, she turned out to be the best one there. After the PA left I was so mad(initially just for the fact my own doctor couldn't take the time to see me himself) I asked who I could talk to over him, finally I figured it out on my own and mentioned the director of the hospital and having family member call for me. The nurses acted like I just had to sit there and take it. Before I even called which I was going to the nurse called for me and the director of surgery was in my room ready to remedy the situation. I wound up sticking with what i had and a shot of toradol, which I was also already getting. The point is that doctor thought he just could laugh at me and get away with it, tell me how I feel. Well there are things you can do. Make a formal complaint. If you have a pain doctor for your back ask him if he will call your gyno, or just explain the whole situation to him and he might help you. You can not get medicine from both but he could give you something stronger than what you were on for a while.
I wound up getting into another tiff with a nurse the morning I left, I did actually tell her to get the *ell out of my room get my papers I'm leaving today.
My doctor was more than happy to write the percs for ev 4hrs as needed and let me go home.
My 2wk appt he didn't mention any of this. He also gave me some zanax to relax. You sometimes have to show a little fire to get things done. You do not have to lay there in pain and take it.
I was a nurse assistant years ago, people in pain are sometimes hard to deal with, its why they are there. You have a good reason to be grumpy. They do not have to like you or viceversa don't worry about that. Do what it takes to get thru this, apologize later if you think you need to. But for now the medical professionals should make you comfortable without hurt feelings. We are the one's who are sick and had major surgery.
Sorry if I got carried away here but I was very upset with my own experience especially when I thought I had everything explained and I would be tended to respectfully. But I wasn't. I trusted them and was let down. In spite of all my fears its been almost 4wks and I am doing ok. I pray you will be too. But if you are like me, you do have some options, don't lay there in pain without calling around to see if you can make another arrangement.
best of luck,
thelvey
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:16 AM

I agree , you need to sit and write a completely detailed letter of complaint and give it to the hospital administrator , That was COMPLETELY uncalled for and unprofessional!!!! Now if you are in pain , Go to your PCP and see if you can get something to help , I have went to mine for treatment of a UTI and my Gyno was fine with it...As for the BM , Get some Mira lax , You get it over the counter and it works like a CHARM It's a powder that you mix in with drinks , I prefer coffee because it dissolved completely with no taste ! trust me sister , I was right there with ya and tried everything! Also Eat high fiber everything for a while! Drink LOTS of water to keep things moving..Pain meds are a culprit for constipation , the Mira Lax with help , Then take a stool softener like Colace everyday until things get better with you..I am sending you big hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery as you have been through enough!!!
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:19 AM

OH YEAH! I also got glycerin suppositories and that really helped as well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register