Should I stop taking painkillers before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I stop taking painkillers before surgery Should I stop taking painkillers before surgery

Unread 05-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Should I stop taking painkillers before surgery

I have severe endometriosis and take painkillers everyday. I am wondering if anybody was told to stop taking them before they went for their hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2005, 05:52 AM

Hi-

Better discuss it with your doc. Two anicins delayed my surgery for two weeks.
Unread 05-03-2005, 06:16 AM

I think that talking to your dr about it is your best bet. I was given a list of what I could and could not take before my hyst. As worrywart2 said, your surgery could be postponed if you take something that you shouldn't. On the other hand, hurting because you take nothing doesn't sound good either. So, call and ask

best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2005, 07:58 AM

I know I couldn't take anything that contained aspirin for two weeks prior to my surgery.
Unread 05-03-2005, 08:40 AM

I had to stop taking ibuprofen 1 week before surgery, but was allowed to take tylenol .

What I found ironic was that I wasn't supposed to take the ibuprofen because it acts as a blood thinner, but 30 minutes before surgery they gave me a shot of heparin TO THIN THE BLOOD! I had a shot every 12 hours after that (in my stomach) until my discharge.

You should check with your doctor. Every doc seems to have his/her own guidelines for this.

HollyK
Unread 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM

I've been taking narcotic pain killers for the past few months, off and on, only as needed along with Motrin. My doc hasn't told me to change anything, in fact, he just refilled my prescription of Vicodin. Of course, he alreadly knows that I don't take either more than twice a day, maybe that has something to with it...give them a call! I'm sure they would give you good advice and put you mind at ease.
Unread 05-03-2005, 12:35 PM

Motrin is one of the painkillers that, if taken before surgery, can cause excess bleeding.

Quote:
If you are taking aspirin, aspirin-containing products, or aspirin-like products such as Indocin, Naprosyn, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Nuprin, or if you are on anticoagulants such as Coumadin, PLEASE INFORM THE DOCTOR OR THE SECRETARY. THE DOCTOR MAY GIVE YOU SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS.

Aspirin and similar drugs interfere with blood clotting and may lead to excessive bleeding during and after surgery. Tylenol (acetaminophen), may be taken as a replacement for aspirin, if needed. If you have any questions concerning discontinuation of such medicines, please contact your family physician and then contact your eye doctor.
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/wilmer/patients/
Unread 05-03-2005, 01:00 PM

I meant to add, that because of my own research on the subject, I've decided to skip to Motrin for the next couple of weeks. I've had surgery before, and took Motin all the way up to it with no problems, but I want to make sure this recovery goes is smoothly and quickly as possible.
Unread 05-03-2005, 01:46 PM

I was told no aspirin and to keep a list of all OTC meds I've taken two weeks prior to surgery. In order to keep things simple, I've opted not to take anything in that time period (I did take two 500 mg of tylenol at the onset of my period..tween my back and my head). Yigh! I never realized how much I medicate myself and how much lower back pain and pelvic pain I actually had. I tend to pop advil like M&M candies. Just makes me look more forward to tomorrow.

Since I'm assuming your doctor knows you take painkillers, I'd suggest discussing it with him/her.

Lori
Unread 05-04-2005, 11:51 AM

I needed narcotics about 1 week/month for endo. The hospital nurse who called on the phone told me to take the med with a tiny sip of water if I was in pain the am of surgery. She said they don't like patients to go into surgery in pain. Made sense to me, but I was so scared that the surgery would be cancelled that I didn't take any. I suggest asking your DR and also asking the nurse who calls (if your castle does this.) If you get two different answers, I'd follow DR's orders. Better safe than sorry! Good luck to you!

MB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register