still no hyst date...now hysteroscopy & D&C..why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still no hyst date...now hysteroscopy & D&C..why? still no hyst date...now hysteroscopy & D&C..why?

Unread 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
still no hyst date...now hysteroscopy & D&C..why?

Just had my second appointment with the surgeon. Saw her in January for the first time and she agreed with my symptoms (heavy bleeding, pain, clots, etc..) and previous trials with other options put hysterectomy on the table. Asked about cancer and she said not likely, likely fibroids. Had an ultrasound and they found lots of fibroids, the biggest one around 5 cm (as I posted earlier, disspointed with that, expected them to be bigger!). In january she said hysterectomy was going to be May...now based on some stuff she saw regarding my endometrium she wants to do a hysteroscopy and D&C to sample the lining..and postpone surgery until she knows the results... Suddenly cancer seems on the table again and I am scared. Is this a normal thing for them to do? She says that it will help her know if she will need to take my ovaries...I thought everything was fine and straightforward! Scared about going under for another procedure. Any feedback welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Re: still no hyst date...now hysteroscopy & D&C..why?

I wish I could answer that for you. Perhaps they need some information that they could not get otherwise. This sounds like they need to find out the type of tissues they are dealing with. I don't know if that means they are looking for cancer or not. Has your doc said that?

Please take a deep breath. I hope some other women with experience in this will see this post and respond.

(((Hugs))) to you.
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM

Would an endometrial biopsy not do? But yes the d&c is the gold standard if she suspects cancer. If they find cancer or precancer it would be a potentially different surgery, and you should really consider a GYN oncologist if that's the case (if you live where that's possible). I'd say better 2 procedures than 2 surgeries because they found a surprise cancer, or not having staging done. It seems pretty common for them to do but this stuff is always scary. Remember they are just being sure you have the right surgery and doesn't mean you do have cancer or precancer. Good luck, I hope the results are all benign. The waiting really is the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM

I just had a D & C on Tues. The GYN who will do my surgery (not my regular GYN) said he recommends a D & C or endometrial biopsy before he does laproscopic surgery b\c if there are cancer cells he could inadvertantly spread it--or something like that. i was surprised to hear about the D & c as it was unexpected, so i wasn't really comprehending what he was telling me. since i haven't had kids, the biopsy would be too painful for me. from what i read on this forum, the D & C or biopsy seems the norm. Fortunately, i got the good news that everything is benign. Hopefully, this helps and everything works out for you!
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:08 AM

My hysterectomy is tomorrow. My DR. told me a year ago I'd probably need a hysterectomy, but she needed to do other tests first. She told me she felt it was " bad doctoring" to just jump in and remove organs if she didn't do other tests first. An ultrasound and trans vaginal ultrasound were done and concerned her enough to finally prescribe pain meds for me. ( previously I had been told to take Aleve and Ibuprofin for pain.) After the ultrasound she scheduled a laparoscopy surgery with hysteroscopy and D& C. ONly after that did she tell em hysterectomy was my best option. I feel safe knowing she didn't just jump into it, even though the result is the same. Gave me peace of mind knowing I am doing the right thing. She is also letting me keep my ovaries based on the fact that 7 weeks ago during the laparoscopy she actually was able to examine them closely. I am grateful for that alone, as I would be more afraid going into my hysterectomy surgery not knowing if they may need removed.
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoriolis View Post
Just had my second appointment with the surgeon. Saw her in January for the first time and she agreed with my symptoms (heavy bleeding, pain, clots, etc..) and previous trials with other options put hysterectomy on the table. Asked about cancer and she said not likely, likely fibroids. Had an ultrasound and they found lots of fibroids, the biggest one around 5 cm (as I posted earlier, disspointed with that, expected them to be bigger!). In january she said hysterectomy was going to be May...now based on some stuff she saw regarding my endometrium she wants to do a hysteroscopy and D&C to sample the lining..and postpone surgery until she knows the results... Suddenly cancer seems on the table again and I am scared. Is this a normal thing for them to do? She says that it will help her know if she will need to take my ovaries...I thought everything was fine and straightforward! Scared about going under for another procedure. Any feedback welcome!
Hello dcoriolis,
I had a similar experience. My Dr wanted an endometrial biopsy but could not get a decent sample in the office, so he ordered a D&C. At first I was upset by this but later I was glad. I agree, it's pretty standard, and I think it's an important diagnostic tool. Although I was very nervous about it, it went great and was benign. I was out, so no pain, and don't remember a thing. Much better than that attempted offcie biopsy - my cervix was not agreeable (ouch!).
For me the D&C had the added bebefit of no period for 2 months and the next one was very light! That was a nice side effect since I had been suffering with painful, floods every month. In the end I was very glad my Dr. did this extra step, it kind of prepared my mind for the hyst too.
Also- you mentioned small fibroids. I had many small ones in the wall of uterus, (intramural). My cramping was intense and lasted all month long, so size has nothing to do with pain. My doctor explained the type and location have more to do with pain. Some ladies with larger fibroids may be asymptomatic, and never know they have them 'til they show up on ultrasound.

Keep us posted on your progress as your date at the Castle draws near!
Sending
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM

I had a hysteroscopy and D&C, well lots of them actually, before my surgery. The biopsy can not give an accurate picture of what is going on in the entire uterus, just the sample they take. (That is what I was told) My doctor also wanted to make sure all her "bases were covered" so to speak before she just went in and took the uterus. I had switched doctors a year ago, so she was not familiar with all my issues. I appreciated her thoroughness.
Sorry you are worried. Hugs!
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:02 AM

Thanks all of you. what you saying makes sense and although it is frustrating to have yet another procedure, you are right, I do want the surgeon to have as much information before she does the surgery. If there is cancer I want them to take (or leave) whatever they need to keep me healthy. If a D&C can also decrease the bleeding that would be awesome since this is day 18....I hadn't heard about the location and position of fibroids influencing the amount of pain and bleeding so thanks so much for that. I will ask if she can show me the ultrasound or a least describe where they are to me at the next appointment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register