First day home, 4 days post op worse pain so far | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First day home, 4 days post op worse pain so far First day home, 4 days post op worse pain so far

Unread 08-06-2005, 02:05 AM
First day home, 4 days post op worse pain so far

I had some complications that kept me in the hospital from Monday morning surgery time until Friday afternoon. I felt great upon arriving home but now I'm having my worst pain yet. My belly is still swelling and my bowels are not functioning "normally" yet. Is it normal to have more pain after leaving the hospital? My stomach is not hot or red, just a lot of pain in one part of incision. I did choke on a drink earlier and put a huge strain on my incision. There is also a lot of bruising around incision. I took a long hot shower and both pain meds and am feeling a bit better. Anyone else in the same boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2005, 02:40 AM

The first week and a half was the WORST for me...I LIVED for the time I could take my painmeds and veg out on the couch..if it wasn't the gas pains..bm pains..it was just my belly hurting from having surgery. But believe me when I say that it get's better! Just make sure you take your pain meds on time..stay on top of that! Drink lots of fluids, and get plenty of rest.
Are you taking anything for the BM's like stool softners? I tried to go without taking them, and that hurt worse than the surgery..stool softners also helped me with the gas too...
I hope you feel better soon! It does get better with time!
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-06-2005, 02:53 AM

Conner,

I am sorry your pain is bad, but congratulations, your complaints are all normal! Yes, it's normal to be hurting more, because in the hospital you probably had a PCA pump and the pain meds you received thru it are different than what you take at home.

Your belly will probably swell for a long time due to the organs and muscles being moved around for your operation. On here, we call it "swelly belly." Most women say their belly gets larger as the day goes on. When you start going back to normal clothes, don't wear pants that are too tight, because that will make your belly even bigger. The bruising is normal too, because you've been cut open, your muscles were moved to the sides, and clamps were applied to keep you open while the surgeon worked.

As for your bowels, constipation is a common problem caused by narcotic pain medications. Colace or DOSS stool softener helps, drinking lots of water, and Citrucel. With me, the gas pains were the worst part of the ordeal.

Stay ahead of the pain, because if your body is concentrating on battling the pain, it cannot concentrate on healing. But, get off of the pain meds as soon as you can because they will keep your bowels messed up.

I know that choking on the drink was terribly difficult. Just beware of that first SNEEZE. I had mine within the first week because my mom was still here with me. Even she groaned with me!

Oh, and one more thing... Congratulations on your crown!

Best wishes on a speedy recovery,
Rene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm so glad to know that this is normal. I was terrified I was going to end up back in the OR. I finally fell asleep around 7 a.m. this morning. I couldn't believe my pain level. I am dreading the first sneeze! I am a germophobe right now (more than usual). I will do anything to keep from getting a cold.
The day of my surgery my IV infiltrated and I kept complaining to my nurse but she didn't take it seriously so I spent close to the first 24 hours getting a very minimal amount of my pain/ anti naseau meds. I was vomiting with dry heaves and thought my stomach was going to burst, it was horrible. Fortunately the worst from that was added tenderness and pain with very minor bleeding, my Dr. was concerned that I may have lost some of the sutures and could hemorrhage but thank goodness that wasn't the case.
All in all it was extremely traumatic and I know it is going to take me a very long time to get through it but at least I have a start and with all of you guys I know I'm going to be fine!
Hugs
Unread 08-06-2005, 12:20 PM

Yes, Conner-girl, it's totally normal. My suggestions is to have a method of keeping track of your pain meds. Write it down, keep them in a pill box or whatever.

Take them on a schedule because it truly aids in your recovery. You'll feel so much better if you are pain-free and in control.

Drink lot's o' water, prune juice (ewww, but helpful), and maybe some dried fruit(Do you like trail mixes?)

I know your appetite is probably suckin' (pardon me) right about now, so choose wisely what will help ya.

Best wishes, and keep on the meds 'til you deem it's time to let them go.
Robin M.
Unread 08-06-2005, 01:56 PM

I felt the very same way when I first came home. The pain was so bad that I lived for the pain medication and could hardly wait until I could take it again. I hope the pain you are having lessens soon. It finally did for me and I know it well for you too. Don't get me wrong, I still have pain but instead of it being intorlerable it is tolerable. That's promising huh!
Debbie
Unread 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM

Try taking the Gas-X. I found a lot of the pain was from the bowels rewaking up and the large amount of gas. I never had a problem with gas pains before. If it hadn't been for all the dear sisters here, I wouldn't have recognized the pains.

That along with taking the pain pills on time really helps.

Heal well!
Unread 08-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Are you taking Ibuprofren? I am still on 600mg every 4 hours - I swear it helps the most. It relieves the swelling inside. I can tell when I am late taking them.
Unread 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM

I have 800 mg. Motrin that I am suppose to use to supplement the pain but I had been hesitant to take it because I have had stomach ulcers in the past. It seems that at this point though the benefits could obviously outweigh the risks. My Dr. didn't think it would cause any issues so I will try the Ibuprofren today.
I am also taking Gas X as of today and I think that's definitely where some of the discomfort was coming from. I am so thankful that I have a place where I can get these answers and advice without having to bother my Dr.
Also, on my pain meds, it was for only a 3 day supply. I came home on Friday and will be out tomorrow.... If I call her will she give me more? I cannot even imagine what my level would be without it. I also ordered the "Smooth Move" tea that I heard about on this site. I had not used it until last night and it definitely works! It also has a nice flavor, I did not even need to sweeten. It's as effective as any non herbal remedy. I am also taking Cranberry capsules, Vitamins B Complex and C. I am very susceptible to UTI's and really thought I would get one after having a cath but surprisingly I had no problems what so ever! Luckily my MIL has a Vitamin supplier and is very into homeopathic remedies for anything. This is the first time some of her suggestions have actually peaked my interest and I'm glad it did. Thanks sisters! I'm sure I will be here again in the middle of the night tonight, it seems to be turning into a habit. Is insomnia common also? I'm already on the Climara patch so my menopause symptoms haven't been bad at all but this seems to be starting.
Hugs!
Unread 08-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Hi =
tomorrow (Monday) will be my first week since release from the hospital. I feel your pain! For me I think a lot of it is gas. I've been munching on Mylanta gas pills which sort of help. And yes, definitely keep up on the pain meds. Boy Howdy do I feel it if I forget and go a little longer. I'm still on the Darvocets but only have about 5 days' supply left and then I have to go to the "weaker" stuff. Hopefully that'll be okay by then (*wince*).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register