Hoping to ski... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hoping to ski... Hoping to ski...

Unread 10-17-2001, 01:36 PM
Hoping to ski...

TVH Oct. 24 and hoping to ski this season - Does anyone know when it will be comfortable to ski?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2001, 06:32 PM
Hoping to ski...

I am not a skiier but..............do NOT go skiing without the permission of YOUR doctor. You have hundreds of stitches inside that will need to heal. Again, your doctor should give you the clearance before you attempt to ski.
Unread 10-17-2001, 07:36 PM
Luckily, you're in CA

Where we have a long season. Skiing at Tahoe lasts until, what -- April, at least most years? So, you'll probably be able to get some skiing in this season. Maybe not early on, but certainly in the spring. I'm at a bit over 5 mos post op, and was a downhill skier from the age of 8 until I injured my knee one too many times about 4 years ago (I still ski crosscountry occasionally, and am itching to try snowshoeing again). If I weren't not skiing for other reasons, (and but for the fact that it was the middle of summer), I'd have been ready to ski again at about the middle of August -- 3 months out. That would be about MLK weekend for you if you're going in 10/24. (and a three day weekend might be a better bet than, say, a week for your first trip, just so you can pace yourself) At 3 months, I wouldn't have been my kamakaze self, but I would certainly have been up for, at the very least least, "ballroom" skiing down mogul-less runs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2001, 07:57 PM
Hoping to ski...

Yikes. I have been skiing since I was 6 years old...we have a house in Vermont right on the mountain. I had my TAH/BSO in March. I'm not sure I'm up to it for this season, even at seven months post-op!!

PLEASE heed the advise here and DO NOT consider skiing until you have specific clearance from your doctor. The idea of a fall or even moguls....too scary. I can't speak for anyone else, but at 12 weeks I was going for walks and feeling proud of myself.

We have our whole lives to ski. The normal timeframe for beginning to resume normal activities is 8 weeks, but I really would not consider something as challenging and potentially dangerous as downhill skiing. JMHO of course, but the idea gives me the willies!!!

Best of luck on the 24th!!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register