Cervix: Keep or lose? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix: Keep or lose? Cervix: Keep or lose?

Unread 10-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Cervix: Keep or lose?

Hello fabulous ladies,

I am scheduled for a Hyst in early January. I am looking forward to having no more periods and no more near-constant pain from adenomyosis! I am keeping my ovaries... I am 46, no children, and no signs of menopause yet.

My doctor has given me the choice of keeping my cervix or having it removed. She really didn't seem to have an opinion as to which would be better... said either would be okay for me, from a medical standpoint. I have tried to research it but I haven't found a lot of info about this choice! Can any of you tell me about your experience in regard to this?

Thanks,
Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM

Hi Diana,
I just had my LSH for adeno and they also found a bucketload of fibroids. I kept my cervix for many reasons. The thing with adeno is it can be in the cervix and if it is it can cause mini-periods. This can be helped by cauterizing the cervix if it happens. I just didn't feel I wanted to have anything else out and there are many good reasons to keep the cervix if you can. One is it supports everything in there so it doesn't prolapse, two it helps with orgasm and there are many other reasons as well, but I can't think of them off hand. "A gynecologists second opinion," is a very good book to read about more of this and there should be lots of places on this site to search for more answers. My doc said it looked great when he went in there and that may be another way to go. Ask the doc to check it first before you chuck it. Wishing you well in this new chapter.

Tara
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:52 PM

My surgery is scheduled for next week. As of now, I'm keeping my cervix, but they are taking everything else. If the uterus and fibroids end up being too large to remove through the lap and he has to go in through the abdom., then he will remove the cervix. I guess I'll know when I wake up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2006, 01:04 PM

I had no choice, it was already heading down anyway. It's gone, but I kept my ovaries and they seem to be sleeping!
Unread 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Here's a previous thread on this subject. In my post, I included links to previous discussions

Cervix
Unread 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Hi Diana,

I too was 46 at the time of my hyst. I kept my cervix and I am still very happy with my decision. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. Both have been very true for me.

Here is Hyster Sisters article on the *cervix* for your research:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96911.htm

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 10-16-2006, 02:49 PM

Hi Diana!

I was 46 at the time of my TAH/BSO and, without a cervix, I don't notice any difference with sex or pelvic support, or does my husband notice any change. Everything is still holding up and is where it should be at 4+ years after surgery.

That said, if you are a candidate to keep your cervix, by all means elect to keep it.

s
Unread 10-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Had mine taken out with everything else except for the one ovary. My doc said there was no sense in leaving this opening to no where and he does a pelvic floor tightening while he is in there so no worries about dropping or anything and no worries about cervical cancer! Yeah!
Unread 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM

Hi Diana!

A very recent scientific study shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=18073

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!
Unread 10-16-2006, 04:19 PM

Bizet Woman - thank you so much for the thread. I think it will help all of us "pre-princesses" with our questions. PattyAnne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register