Horrible smell with discharge - 1 1/2 wks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horrible smell with discharge - 1 1/2 wks post op Horrible smell with discharge - 1 1/2 wks post op

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Horrible smell with discharge - 1 1/2 wks post op

Ok, So I'll first apologize for the nasty title, but there's no other way to say it. I'm a week and a half post op. Feeling pretty good but still pains at times and very tired. My discharge goes from dark pink to light pink to brown at any given time, and it smells like something died. It's horrible! Is this normal? Or maybe a sign of infection? I go for my two week checkup on Wednesday but was hoping to get some encouraging words before then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Re: Horrible smell with discharge - 1 1/2 wks post op

I think it sounds normal..it may be your sticthes dissolving. If you get to concerned...call your dr.
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM

Some odor is normal. A nasty odor should be brought to the attention of your doctor as it could be a sign of an infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM

My discharge really smelt ugg . It eventually went away. I read somewhere on here it could be the stitches dissolving . I did have the smell for a couple of weeks though . xx
Unread 11-12-2012, 12:27 AM

I had that smelly discharge too! Finally, just a few days shy of four weeks post-op, the discharge and the smell are gone! THANK GOD!!! UGH!!! I was told it was from the vaginal stitches healing.
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM

im having a brown discharge, last couple days was a lil more, now its gotten a lil better..not as much... 2wk out is on friday for me
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM

I smelt a little odd most of the time after coming out of hospital - it went off eventually but was a bit unpleasant. Just didn't smell like me! I had an internal exam at week 7 and smelt funny after that too, thought maybe it was all the gloop he used going off inside me.
Anyway, all normal now but yep, there are some odd smells for a while.

I guess I would have worried if I could smell it through my clothes, or other people could smell it standing near me, that would suggest something more nasty going on perhaps.

Hope you're okay x
Unread 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM

I had the same issue and it was the sutures. My MD said this is normal. Good thing I am single because I was embarrassed smelling the dead animal between my legs and I live alone. At week 7 my sutures stared to fall out. Sounds gross... But I manually removed the removed the suture pieces inside my vagina and 3 days later the odor and discharge have completely resolved. That's the part of the surgery nobody talks about... Not even the doctor. It freaked me out until he told me it was not uncommon
Unread 11-13-2012, 02:57 AM

Good job we do get signed off for sex for a few months, that smell would be enough squash any amorous feelings! ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register