after surgery when I wake up | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

after surgery when I wake up after surgery when I wake up

Unread 11-24-2003, 11:30 AM
after surgery when I wake up

Hi all my surgery is scheduled for 12/3 TAH not sure about ovaries yet, I have read many posts about stockings etc., what can I expect when I wake up besides some pain etc., I am overweight and I am curious should I buy some special medical stockings that will fit me? I am having my pre-op with my general practicitioner to make it easier for everyone so I will not see the gyn until my surgery date thanks again, I will also be buying large size underwear and nightgowns

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Stockings

I had my surgery 9/26 and when I went in they had a machine that had two "stocking" like air pillows that fit over each leg and it circulated air throughout them. It wasn't very uncomfortable. Some hospitals will give you stockings that go all the way up to your upper thigh, which are made out of spandex type material. They will tell you everything you will have when you get there for pre-op prep! Good Luck to you!
Unread 11-24-2003, 12:04 PM

Ask the doc, but I would think if you need special stockings , the hospital would provide them. I didn't buy nightgowns for the hospital- I just wore what they provided because sometimes you bleed after surgery (I did). To go home I wore what I wore in: one of those loose fitting dresses/jumpers such as from Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Cold Water Creek ,etc. That's what I wore during the early stages of recovery too- I already had some because of gigantic fibroids that made me look pregnant for years. Now that it's all over, I regret the years of feeling like I was in labor and looking pregnant for so long! I can now wear any style of clothes and feel great.

Besides pain (don't worry about this- they will do all they can to control it) you'll be groggy . From what I understand from others if you have an epidural you'll get really great pain relief.

Don't worry about healing when overweight. Lots of gals do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 12:48 PM

I didn't have to purchase any special stockings, they put those air leg thingies on me, which drove me nuts, made me feel trapped. They bothered me more after the myomectomy though than after the hyst, I guess I was too drugged up after the hyst to notice anything. LOL

If they expect you to supply anything like surgical stockings they'll tell you at your pre-op. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm overweight and I had no problems with the things they supplied me at the hospital, including medical gowns.

Best of luck!

Mary Ellen
Unread 11-24-2003, 01:33 PM

hi--I too am overweight--as far as stockings--they usually put tight stockings on your legs so you dont get a blood clot. I had like these blow-up ones that deflated and inflated every few seconds. As far as pain--you really shouldnt have to much if you have an iv pump. You can push that if you have pain. Dont worry, they will take good care of you. I wish you the best of luck--Blessings Cathy
Unread 11-24-2003, 02:28 PM

I had the blow up ones and it was the best part of the castle visit. All I wanted to go with it was somebody to give me a pedicure and paint my toes. I am overweight and have large legs and they fit around my legs with no problem. I wore the jammies given to me at the hospital and my own jammies home. After several days in my jammie pants, I started wearing big shorts.

I am sure they will tell you what to bring. I forgot small shampoo and conditioner. Once I discovered how great the shower felt afterwards, I didn't want to get out. I just would have loved clean hair.
Unread 11-25-2003, 06:52 AM
thanks

thanks for all your great posts I appreciate it, and yes showering before you go home that is great, I was thinking that maybe I would not be able to shower for a while because of the stiches/staples etc. Thanks again

Terry
Unread 11-25-2003, 09:14 AM

They'll tell you you can take a shower the next day and have you up and about! I had thigh-high stockings provided in the hospital PLUS the pressure cuffs on my lower legs (I have had a blood clot in my leg before from Transatlantic flight, so wanted to be careful!) I didn't mind either of the items at all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register