2 days left | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:54 PM
2 days left

Anyone else having everything removed? I am still freaking out about the removal of my cervix. The thought of those stitches popping open freaks me out. Does that happen a lot? Also I keep reading about the binder to help with bloating and abdominal pain. Is that something I need to get before Monday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Re: 2 days left

Hi Maggie77 -

You must be referring to the vaginal cuff, and the stitches that close that area. As long as you follow your doctors instructions and let yourself heal, the vaginal cuff tearing is quite unusual.

I also lost everything and have not had a problem at all in that area.

A binder is a personal choice. I never got one and did not think I needed one. Some women swear by them.

You will most likely have a swelly belly - it is fairly typical with this surgery. I just wore lots of loose fitting clothing and did just fine.

Unread 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM

I'm having everything except my left ovary (hopefully) taken out; I'm worried about that and busting my incision back open. My dr is going back in through my csection scar and I busted it open after I had my daughter, she was a NICU baby and I pushed myself way too hard after having her, I'm definitely worried I'll do the same thing again. Good luck on Monday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM

I had everything removed except ovaries - TAH - 6" bikini cut - surgery was dec 12 so I. A bit over 4 weeks. I've had an excellent recovery so far. Listen to your doctor and instructions and to your body. I've had no bleeding, no issues with incision - pretty boring really. I certainly was very sore and slept lots at the beginning. Just take each day as a new day. Some are better then others. It's a long recovery but if we don't do it right - it will be much longer. So - listen to your body and flow doc " rules "
I did not get a binder either. I can't say whether or not it would hdve helped. Loose clothes and pillows were my helpful friends. Still are but I am starting to wear some of my pre op clothes now.
Good luck. Take care.
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:59 PM

I am 5 days post op of total vag hyst. I was very nervous as well about the taking of the cervix, stitches, closing the area up and all that goes with it.. I am healing very well, and already up and around at probably 50% my daily routine.. I think i may be very luck to have had all go well.. Good luck to you and try not to worry.. The more questions you ask, the more at ease you will feel.
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:31 PM

I'm 4th day post-op and incisions/stitches are healing well - I had laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy - took out uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes. No pain today and sometimes a little sore. The bigger recovery is getting your energy back. There's internal healing too.

I was pretty anxious the night before surgery - didn't sleep much. Everything went fine and everyday, I felt better. The pain meds helped a lot the first few days.

Good luck with your surgery. Your doctor and the nurses at the hospital will give plenty of instructions to ensure you have a good recovery.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie77 View Post
...Also I keep reading about the binder to help with bloating and abdominal pain. Is that something I need to get before Monday?
I did okay with using a pillow held against my stomach when I was doing something that I felt I needed some support (like getting into bed, turning from one side to another in bed). If I was walking around sometimes I would hold my stomach with both hands to feel a little more supported.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words and input. I hope that you all contine to heal and get better everyday.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:06 PM

I asked about the binder at pro-op and was told if my doc thinks I need one, they will provide one (for "free").

So ask your doc before you leave the hospital. I think maybe its used less often for da vinci patients perhaps since the incision is different.

The vaginal cuff freaks me out too! But obviously it is nothing new or unusual! Good luck to you!
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
2 days left

Hi Maggie, PLEASE let us know how you do as soon as you can after surgery. You and I both seem to be majorly freaked out about the vaginal cuff. Feeling a little better reading some of these posts but still having alot of anxiety :-(( Good luck to you! Praying everything will go smooth for you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register