Is it completely closed ?( vaginal cuff ) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it completely closed ?( vaginal cuff ) Is it completely closed ?( vaginal cuff )

Unread 03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Is it completely closed ?( vaginal cuff )

I read on a post that the vaginal cuff is closed over the top of the vagina. My silly questions is, if it is completely closed will we ever have any discharge of fluid's or if we have an infection (ovaries) for example will it drain, will there be any sign's other than pain? Is our vagina's just a closed hole (sorry) used for only one purpose now. I love this site so I can ask all these questions and ya'll can't see my face. You would have to ware sunglasses to look at me LOL..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 08:08 AM

I went for my 4 week check up yesterday. I too had a tah and have a vaginal cuff. My dr told me explictly that I could not treat myself should I have any type of discharge. I would not be able to use over the counter medicines for yeast infections or anything else like that. I have to go to her office for her to check it out. It sounds terrible for it to be used for one function but I try not to think about it. I personally like the function so I am glad to have it. This is just what I found out yesterday. Seems like I learn something new everyday.
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:54 AM

I wonder the same thing. I'm actually freaked out about it. My husband hasn't had a vasectomy and I'm terrified, litteraly terrified that his sperm will seep thru and fertilize an egg. We have not had intercourse yet because of my fear. My doctor has tried to reassure me, but I'm still terrified and am not planning on intercourse until he gets the big V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 09:26 AM

I have an internal infection and I do have discharge (yuck!)which is how my doctor figured out I had it, because I thought the pain was swelling and gas (really bad swelling and gas! LOL) She said that my body had created a hole in order to drain the infection and that it would heal after the infection was gone. sigh, almost four weeks of this. In any case, I don't know what would happen if you got an infection after you were healed, but I imagine after you are completely healed you would not easily get an internal infection. If your doctor says you can have sex, that probably means that everything is completely healed up.
As a side note, CJL,I believe that it would be impossible for a sperm and egg to even meet without the guidance of the uterus, and in any case, fertilization could not happen in any other environment. I really don't think there are any worries if your doctor has given you the go ahead.
Unread 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM

This is a stupid question, but what is a vaginal cuff? I had a TAH and only my uterus removed. If I kept my cervix, does that mean I have a vaginal cuff?
Unread 03-01-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerilyn
This is a stupid question, but what is a vaginal cuff? I had a TAH and only my uterus removed. If I kept my cervix, does that mean I have a vaginal cuff?
No, you shouldn't. My understanding is that a vaginal cuff is when they remove the cervix, they pull over tissue to close off the area where the cervix was. My doctor told me my vaginal cuff had intermittent stitches but it should heal. I had some discharge yesterday, but now it is back pink again (I have such terrible bowel problems I keep getting pink discharge from teh pressure).
Unread 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM

There is 100% chance that you will not get pregnant.. Again, there is NO way you can get pregnant.. Enjoy this new time in your life and have some fun with your husband.. I attack him all the time now. TMI
take care
Unread 03-01-2006, 01:55 PM

Hi there

Yes the cuff area will be completely closed when all is healed. There would be no drainage from your abdomen through your vagina, nor the ability of sperm to get into your abdomen.

Best wishes and s..........Wendy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register