Perms and surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Perms and surgery Perms and surgery

Unread 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Perms and surgery

Has anyone had a perm a few weeks before their surgery and it became straighted after the surgery? My hairdresser told me this and I have never heard of such a thing. Let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Perms and surgery

Anesthesia can cause a perm to loosen up or fall out. It would be best if you could perm your hair atleast a month prior to surgery; Or else wait a month after surgery to do it.

good luck
diana
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Perms and surgery

My hairdresser advised me to wait for awhile after my tah/bso before I did anything to my hair ( except for trims etc ). She said that hormonal changes could make the results iffy

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Perms and surgery

I'M still trying to figure out if my excess hair shedding is hormonol related. Anyone experience hair loss that was traced back to hormones?
Unread 05-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Perms and surgery

I had a low thyroid condition which caused my hair to thin out. High testosterone can do the same. (which I also had). Why not talk to your Dr about it and ask for some tests. You can also visit an endocrinologist who would be able to help you determine if it is hormonal problem.

About perms, I had a perm one time 3 weeks before a surgery, and it did fall completely out. It usually takes at least a couple of months for my hair to get back to normal

Kay
Unread 05-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Perms and surgery

I think it is best to wait. The anethesia and meds can have an effect on your hair. I attempted a perm when I was about 2 months post op and it didn't take. I've been getting perms for years and never had a problem. I had to wait another few months before I was able to get a perm.
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Perms and surgery

Hi there I did have a perm about 2 weeks before my surgery and about a week maybe 2 weeks after surgery my hair was pretty straight......
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Perms and surgery

My hairdresser does not do any type of chemical treatments on hair if she knows you are going to have surgery or just had surgery. She suggests atleast a month after surgery before having chemical treatments done.

Stillyoung,

As for hair shedding because of hormones, I personally believe so. About once a month I shed worse than a dog. I have not had it traced to hormones, but truely believe that is the cause. Since having a TAH, I shed all the time.
Unread 05-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Perms and surgery

I heard this as well; I have been wanting to re-color my hair as the gray seems to be coming in twice as fast and the color seems to have gotten a lot more 'coppery' looking (a bad sign of a chemical reaction) since the surgery, but I'm going to wait at least until I go back to work in a couple weeks. There's a thread on the post-op board called "I want my hair back" which addresses the hair thinning issues that you might want to check out as well. Good luck!

Unread 05-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Perms and surgery

My sister is a cosmetologist and we just did my hair last week. I have strawberry blonde hair, and I get hi-lights. My hair had gotten really red since before my surgery and so we went ahead and hi-lighted when I felt up to going to her salon. It looks great and took great. My sis didnt say anything about having any problems after someone having surgery. I actually had 12 inches cut off as well and donated to Locks of Love.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register