Please Help! Accidentally lifted something! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please Help! Accidentally lifted something! Please Help! Accidentally lifted something!

Unread 05-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Please Help! Accidentally lifted something!

Hi Ladies,

Hope someone can help me!!! I am @ 3 1/2 weeks post op from a TAH--everything gone. I was out with my family last night & I totally forgot I even had surgery because I felt so great. My DD went to try to get up in a friends truck & I lifted her up out of habit (she weighs 34 lbs!) I immediately remembered & was horrified that I would forget since I have been so very cautious this whole time. I had no pain last night but as soon as I got home I went to bed & put ice on my tummy.

I had no trouble sleeping but have been a little tender today, uncomfortable & have had a few sharp pains. Naturally I am freaked out about this & am home staying down & resting this weekend.

Just wondered if anyone else has had some similar slipup where you forgot & picked up something heavy. Did it do any damage? I have had no bleeding at all so I feel relieved about that! Thanks for any advice.

So mad at myself!

tum-e-trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 02:39 PM

At 4 weeks post op from an SAH, my surgeon released me for any lifting, with the only restriction being to stop doing something if it caused pain at the time. So, for my surgeon anyway, what you did by mistake would not have been a big deal, but of course I can't speak for your surgeon. To me, it sounds as if you overdid it but didn't do damage, since you're not in pain, just tender. Your plan of taking it easy for the next couple days sounds good. If you're hurting Monday morning, call your doctor's office and check (or if you get real pain over the weekend, definately call).
Unread 05-06-2006, 02:44 PM

Old habits are hard to break

I was standing next to my dh's truck while he was loading an air compressor and saw that it was slipping and reached for it Since it weighs more then I even know, I called the doctor and he had me come in. No damage but it scared us both pretty bad.

I'm glad you're today. Keep listening to your body and if you have any spotting or pain, call your doctor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 04:50 PM

I am close to you as far as post op and I have lifted my DS with no problems except tenderness and pain twinges the next day. My DS weighs 42 pounds. As long as you're not bleeding or having alot of pain, I think you're OK. If any symptoms arise, I'd call your doctor's office, someone has to be on call over the weekend. In the meantime take it easy and no more lifting. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Unread 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM

when i was 3 weeks post-op,i lifeted up a set of shower doors,very heavy and very ignorant of me cause i knew what i was doing..within 2 weeks,i developed a huge seroma which they told me was from doing to much..anyway,the seroma became infected,in turn,i have now tested positive for mrsa-staph infection and have had to have 2 additional surgeries int he last month ..my incision is now left opened and im having to be packed 2 times a day..im not saying this will happen to you,as i also lifted up my children,and nohting like that happend,i think we have all beent here with lifting the kids,or animals or what have you,what i did was completley foolish..hang in there..the ice does work wonders..just try to rest as muc as possible this weekend,and you should start feeling better.....sonie
Unread 05-06-2006, 07:21 PM

Thanks ladies!

You have helped me calm down & feel better. DH took us out for pizza & I felt fine--a little comfort food helps a great deal! I am off to bed with my icepack.

Thanks for you'r quick responses! HUGS!

tum-e-trouble

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register