Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 22,2012 - Page 31 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 22,2012 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 22,2012

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 22,2012

Ok just talked to dr. Seems I have to go in for a culture tomorrow morning. Dreading telling my boss that my 2nd day back at work I'll need to come in late. Ugh! And all the sudden I'm tearing up. I'm really scared of not healing right and messing my body up. Feeling prickly and just out of sorts. I hope I don't have an infection. I'm out of sick days and vacation time and can't really afford to take too much time off . I kept trying to remind myself that my body healing is #1 priority.

The thought of sex again, yikes!! Not rushing that at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM

definitely...the anesthesia is still in our bodies for some time after we get home, so it does not hit until later. just rest alot and take it easy and drink lots of water. poor baby!;(
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Oh boy just went to the bathroom, red blood! Panic just ran right thru me.... Sure glad I have an appt tomorrow am. I keep trying to think if I did anything wrong the last 2 weeks? I really don't think so... First surgery of my life, the last I hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM

gf410, if I were you I would call the doctor just to make sure it's normal. That way you won't lose any sleep tonight.

As for me, I'm nearly 2 weeks post op and still feel great, with just a little heavy feeling in my abdomen. I almost feel bad for saying that given the discomfort I'm reading about here. I've always been a quick healer though, and I hope my fellow sisters feel as well as I do soon.
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM

I am 11 days post op and had first spot of light red blood on my pad today. Feeling a little sore today and also have uti. Started antibiotic yesterday. Scars not healing nicely .
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM

In my 2nd week after DVH ...having bleeding and last night vomiting seeing dtr on Friday for follow up. Still having problems ...anyone having issues in 2nd week.
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

I'm 12 days post op for a partial hysterectomy (kept my ovaries); surgery was robotic assisted (DaVinci) and a one night hospital stay.

I have to say that my experience has been very good overall. My thoughts and well wishes to those I read here that are having a hard time in their recovery.

My surgery took about 3 hours, I was in my hospital room around 4pm and walking the halls by 7pm. I was completely bored in my room, so I did a LOT of walking, to the point that the nurses said it would be "OK" if I rested in my room.

Once home I've only had 2 bad days out of 12. The first was when one of my mini-doxies decided that a romp across my belly was the best way to get off the bed. Took a couple of days to feel better. And the second bad day was when I took out the trash and over-estimated the weight of the trash bag. Took a day to feel better, but all is well now.

I used my pain meds for the first week and haven't needed anything since. Which I'm glad for, since the constipation side effect was definitely not pleasant.

It took until day 5 before everything was 'moving' and my first bowel movement was a mixture of painful anticipation and the hallelujah chorus. But each day got a little easier and (without the pain meds) I'm now back to my regular schedule.

My 4 portal incisions are healing nicely, though I'm still a little tender. And, thankfully, I am feeling pretty darn good for someone who had surgery to remove a monster-size 258 gram 'alien' uterus (50 grams is 'average') with over 2 dozen tennis ball and golf ball sized fibroids. The 'alien' reference was a direct quote from my super cool doctor - "Lots of Mickey Mouse ears - It HAD to go!"

I saw my doc today for my post-op and we are both pretty pleased. She even asked if I would be part of a video testimonial that she is having done for her practice. I'll see her in 4 more weeks. I have the green light for all my normal activity except sex, which is to be expected.

I'm pretty happy with the whole experience so far!

A couple of things that I've learned that might help a little for someone reading the posts here:

1. Your health and comfort deserves to come first. Don't let someone else set your schedule for when you should be 'better' - this is a process that is uniquely yours alone.

2. Don't be afraid to ask for help - give yourself a break and take your time; if possible, let someone dote on you!

3. If you have a concern or question, say something! Call your doctor, talk to a nurse - sometimes just a little reassurance can help - the reality is that your state of mind is just as important as your physical state.

4. I recommend using a stool softener as soon as possible after surgery. I needed to move on to a laxative as well. I can't image how things would have felt if I had not!

5. If something makes you feel better, then do it! Be it hot tea, a heating pad, a bowl of ice cream, lasagna, or endless re-runs of Big Bang Theory. Treat yourself (within reason) - there is no sense in suffering - if you need a little more to feel better, then go for it!

Best wishes everyone - hope your next day is better then today!
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie1969 View Post
In my 2nd week after DVH ...having bleeding and last night vomiting seeing dtr on Friday for follow up. Still having problems ...anyone having issues in 2nd week.
Oh yeah. Day 12. After being in the emergency room on day 11, with what was finally diagnosed a stomach virus, not a serious effect of surgery, I developed a widespread horrible case of hives all over arms, legs, hands and feet. Called my surgeon's nurse and got a prescription for prednisone and also Benedryl. Have been taking meds this pm but my fever spiked over 100 this afternoon. Crossing my fingers nothing more goes wrong tonight. On a curious note, I found a number of reports online of people getting hives about ten days to two weeks after surgery, and they think it's related to the dissolvable stitches starting to dissolve and causing an allergy reaction. There are even some reports like that on this site in other threads.
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 22,2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnygole View Post
Oh yeah. Day 12. After being in the emergency room on day 11, with what was finally diagnosed a stomach virus, not a serious effect of surgery, I developed a widespread horrible case of hives all over arms, legs, hands and feet. Called my surgeon's nurse and got a prescription for prednisone and also Benedryl. Have been taking meds this pm but my fever spiked over 100 this afternoon. Crossing my fingers nothing more goes wrong tonight. On a curious note, I found a number of reports online of people getting hives about ten days to two weeks after surgery, and they think it's related to the dissolvable stitches starting to dissolve and causing an allergy reaction. There are even some reports like that on this site in other threads.
I was highly allergic to the ibruphrophen prescribed to me - took a few days for it to affect me but when it did I scratched for days on end and fingers became very swollen - some people develop allergic reactions to ibuprofen when it's given in higher doses. Feel five and itch free now!
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM

YES!!!!! I had NO bleeding at all after surgery. Started a brownish discharge @ day 8-9 and it has become a little heavier with some bright red spotting mixed in now on day 12. Doctors office has informed me that it is perfectly normal. The internal stitches are dissolving and I will have a discharge which may be slightly bloody. Emergency room for anything heavier than spotting.
I have the heaviness in my abdomen as well, especially on my right side. It was the right ovary that was removed, so, probably more internal trauma on that side. And, I do get that "everything is gonna fall out" feeling too as well as a stabbing pain straight up the who ha.
Pain has decreased significantly, I no longer need any pain meds and just take ibuprophen if I do need something. I'm just tired and sleep a lot. I don't feel bad, but I don't feel great. I have to keep reminding myself, and we all probably should, that the internal healing takes much more time than the external.
Something funny.... I went this past Monday, the 30th, to have my staples removed and was told my activity level may now include cooking. I can't lift pots or pans or heavy dishes, but I can cook. So pretty much, I can watch food cook and use a spatula. UGH!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register