Bowels? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Bowels?

4 days post-TVH: So, I've been walkin', drinkin' water, and eatin' apples...I have plenty of gas moving through, but nothing solid yet. When should I become concerned? Is it time to send out for prunes???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Re: Bowels?

It seems most doctors recommend Colace twice daily. Colace won't make you go -- it just makes it softer so it doesn't hurt. Only time, water and walking will make you go.

If that doesn't work (and it didn't for me), your doctor might recommend something like Miralax. I used Miralax the entire time I was taking pain meds and OTC advil. I tried stopping a little too soon and regretted it.

I hope you can find relief soon -- and don't hesitate to call your doctors office. They are very helpful with tried and true recommendations.

Good luck!
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks education123,

Whoa! I have never had such issues & discomfort with my bowels. If I had known my body would respond this way, I would have started the softeners the day I came home. After reading your response I sent my husband to the pharmacy, your message reminded "us" the doc said softeners might be a good idea (hubby was supposed to remember all those instructions given while I was still under the influence of morphine).

Things are definitely moving now, though I am still uncomfortable, exhausted, and worried about what is going on inside me! I think I need a nap...

Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM

I'm glad it's helping. I couldn't believe the discomfort either. I was really surprised. Fortunately, it doesn't last forever.

I had to laugh at the hubby "remember" comment. I must have asked my husband three different times to tell me what the doctor said. I could never quite remember what he told me (those pain drugs and coming off anesthesia sent the memory flying out the window).

Anyhow, I hope you are feeling better and have a quick recovery.
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks Sister! and thank God for softeners. total relief at last, whew! (Sorry if that is TMI...) Have a good day!
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM

I took a probiotic pill regularly when I got home and it helped. You can get these at the health food store. Maybe Activia yogurt will help.

I'd also suggest you try acupuncture and limit your intake of meat. Drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water per day will definitely help.

I'm at week #4 and experiencing some sluggishness but I think its b/c I'm not exercising like I was. I've been eating prunes daily and that seems to help. Will get acupuncture this weekend to help with the overall healing and to get my bowels b ack in order!

Good luck!
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Just had TAH last Thursday. I had a BM after a suppository in the hospital but nothing since. I have been taking stool softeners 3x daily since I got home. Asked the doc yesterday. He told me to get a bottle of Magnesium Citrate (about $2 at CVS), drink just over half the bottle (like drinking liquid cough drops - I got the cherry flavor). Within hours it worked and I feel tons better. Give your doc a call.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register