surgery scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery scheduled surgery scheduled

Unread 04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
surgery scheduled

Hi Ladies,
I just posted on the intro board but thought I would post here also since surgery is only a short time away.
I'm scheduled for a tvh on April 29th.
to make a long story short I'm 48 yrs old and have had very heavy periods for over 8 yrs now. I'm the one who started talking hysterectomy with my doctor.
Tried other options but either they didn't work or I had side effects. Soo here I am on this board hoping to find some answers. Although I'm looking forward to having my heavy bleeding gone I'm still a little afraid of surgery. They are talking a spinal block so that I would not have to be put under for the surgery. I have a very busy next couple of months planned and this seemed like the best time to schedule (if there is such a thing as a best time!!)
My son graduates from HS at the end of May so I have that to prepare for. (party) and then I'm also scheduled to take a bus trip with my other son's 8th grade class to NY in mid June!! Since my hysterectomy is planned to be done vaginally I'm hoping that recovery time will be a little easier. How long before you are really feeling better??
How long will I not be able to drive??
I have my pre-op opt next week so I can always ask my doctor but want answers now! Also is there anything I should ask my doctor that I may not have thought of?? Thanks Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2005, 11:46 AM
surgery scheduled

Hi Karen and welcome. I can't share experiences with you about a vaginal hyst as I had an abdominal. I was allowed to drive after about 2 weeks, it could be sooner for you - as you said, your dr should be able to answer that for you ( & they do seem to all have their own preferences ). I have heard from others that the vaginal hyst do often have a shorter initial recovery period.

You do seem to have a lot to do shortly after your sugery. Just remember to follow your dr's orders, take it slow and easy and listen to your body. If you get tired - rest, if it hurts - stop!

You can get a good list of pre op questions if you click here .

Best wishes, please feel free to ask any questions that you may have - the ladies are great with sharing.

s
Unread 04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
surgery scheduled

Welcome sister! I am going for a tah on the 29th, so we will be in the castle together.
I was also only know what is expected for abdominal, but I do know things go quicker for vaginal.
Wish you all the best!
Sassafrass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2005, 10:17 PM
surgery scheduled

Hi kmb4 and sassafras. I'm also scheduled for April 29th. My uterus is too big for a vaginal so I'll be having a SAH (I hope). You will most likely be up and about before sassafras and me.

I'm also 48 and and brought up hysterectomy to my DR six months ago. I have had horrible periods all my life and they just kept getting worse. In the last 6 months as my fibroids have caused my uterus to grow to a 16 week size. No wonder I hardly have any clothes that fit anymore.

Read through the forums and the checkpoints. It will give you an idea of what to expect. The ladies who came before us also have great tips of what to buy to make our lives easier while we recover. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register