How long does the gas last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does the gas last? How long does the gas last?

Unread 09-30-2001, 11:59 AM
How long does the gas last?

I had TAH on 9/25 have cried, been scared and am now kind of angry. I'm not a good patient. Biggest problem is gas. I have taken Phazyme and it helps alot. Had vomiting problem in hospital and vomited again last night. I think all this gas is the problem. Threw pain meds in drawer and went to Extra strength Tylenol...now I can think straight. I get up and walk around. My stomach is just having fits. Last night I ate applesauce and toast. This am had cream of wheat and toast. Finally had three bm's this am and not fun but was really glad to see everything working again. How long will this last? I know I have set a new Guiness world record for belching!
Would appreciate any encouraging words.
Just realised posted on pre-op instead of post-op....just the way things are going :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2001, 01:08 PM
Hang in there!!

My LAVH was on 9/10 and I am still gassy at times. Mine seems to come out the other end though!!

I too vomited profusely and gave up the pain meds in just 2 days out of the hospital. They don't seem to do my body much good.

I just wanted to give you a and let you know it will get better soon. Everyday is easier, but don't overdo. I did and now I am bleeding (not too bad though). Just be careful.

I am a Maltomeal and cream of wheat girl still!! HA
Unread 09-30-2001, 01:20 PM
GAS PRODUCING FOODS

Ouch! You made me remember my gas pains! I don't know how long it will take you to be comfortable because each of us is a little different. I don't even remember how long it took me -- how's that for a brain fog? I guess it is a gradual thing. I am almost 5 weeks post op, and I just took a Gas-X after I ate a chicken sandwich. But, my gas isn't painful anymore. Just have to watch carefully, and NEVER run out of Gas-X.

Gas pains and tummy distention are really awful. So, stay on your bland diet. Don't do what I did!! At 2 weeks I thought I would increase my fruits and vegetables so I could get more vitamins in me and be less tired. I ate both canteloupe and watermelon one afternoon, and I thought I was going to die the rest of that day and all the next day. I can honestly say that was the most painful part of the whole surgery experience.

GAS PRODUCING FOODS (got this list from a hyster sister)

Don't eat cabbage, broccoli, beans, raw apples, brusdsel sprouts, cauliflower, chives, corn, cucumber, leeks, onions, green and red peppers, radishes, sauerkraut, turnips, carbonated drinks, melons of any kind. Don't drink through a straw and don't chew gum. I also had trouble with fried and rich foods. I even had trouble with ice cream (gas and diarrhea.)

Hope this helps. Gas is no fun!! Take care and stay in touch.

Happy Healing!

Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2001, 01:28 PM

I think that your diet really does affect how long the gas lasts. The list above is great. Especially the carbonated beverages...

Try to walk as much as you can...just around the dining room table at first. I aimed for one little stroll each hour. It really helps move the gas through and out.

It will pass, (no pun intended) although it seems it never will end. Hang in there...your body has been through a major trauma, your bowels were handled and pushed around, and they're responding.

Karen
Unread 09-30-2001, 02:04 PM

Thank you all for responding. I already feel better with your words of encouragement and advice. The list of foods is great. I need to develop some patience. This was my first major surgery and was really stressful for me. Thank God for God! Only thing that could give me peace. I think he's now teaching me some patience.

Had Chicken noodle soup and crackers for lunch...so far all OK.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register