Cervix - to keep or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix - to keep or not Cervix - to keep or not

Unread 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

Hi ladies! I just learned have to have a complete Hysterectomy, Uteres Tubes and Ovaries. The doctor asked me if I want to keep my cervex. Please share any thoughts or feelings or stories to help me make that decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

Hi LiveLaughLove08,

I kept my cervix with my LSH. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy so I decided to retain it. Also, my Dr. told me that cervical cancer occurs in 3% or less of women so that also helped me with my decision. I am 4 years post-op now and I am still happy I decided to keep my cervix.

In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Great Information

Thanks to all for the qreat information. I am feeling better already. I have some minor "strees leakage" of unine. Not alll the time but occasionally. I had heard that keeping the cervex will help the bladder stay in place.

I have also heard of having it removed and having the surgeion put in a hammock. Any comments?

I am so glad I found this site, with 30 days to go the support will be wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

Hi there. I am having a TAH soon as well and my doctor is removing everything - including my cervix. He is taking my cervix due to having precancerous cervical cells and abnormal paps and he truly doesn't want to leave any reason behind to have to go back in for surgery any time in the future, if at all. I have heard about bladder slings for support but that is not needed in all women. We are all unique in our ways and I guess we shall each see! Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

Losing mine.

This is the latest official opinion from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists on the issue:

Supracervical Hysterectomy Not Superior to Total Hysterectomy

Washington, DC -- Supracervical hysterectomy, a surgical technique that removes the uterus while leaving the cervix intact, does not have clear benefits over total hysterectomy in women with non-cancerous disease and should not be recommended as a superior technique, according to a new Committee Opinion released today by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Current research does not show significant improvements in postsurgical outcomes for supracervical hysterectomy when compared with hysterectomies that remove both the uterus and the cervix. Women who choose the supracervical procedure are also at an increased risk for future problems with the retained cervix and may require additional surgery.

Hysterectomy is the second most common major surgery among reproductive-aged women, after cesarean delivery. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, there were approximately 617,000 hysterectomies performed in 2004. Hysterectomy is most often done to treat uterine fibroids or abnormal uterine bleeding. It is also indicated for women with certain gynecologic cancers.

Techniques such as laparascopic vaginal and supracervical hysterectomy are often used as an alternative to total abdominal hysterectomy. In its new Committee Opinion, ACOG reviewed available research comparing supracervical, total abdominal, and laparascopic vaginal hysterectomies. "There has been renewed interest in supracervical hysterectomy as a way to reduce operative complications and reduce the effects of hysterectomy on urinary and sexual function. Unfortunately, these possible benefits are not supported by recent evidence," says Denise J. Jamieson, MD, chair of ACOG's Committee on Gynecologic Practice.

Research shows that the type of hysterectomy did not drastically affect urinary incontinence, urinary frequency, or bladder emptying, though one Danish study found that women with supracervical hysterectomy had higher rates of urinary incontinence than women who had total hysterectomy. Additionally, women gave similar postoperative ratings for measures of sexual function—such as frequency of sex, frequency and quality of orgasm, sexual desire, and body image whether they received supracervical or total abdominal hysterectomy. "Since laparoscopic hysterectomy techniques have not been carefully evaluated in randomized trials, it is unclear how preserving the cervix with laparoscopic techniques might compare in terms of risks and benefits," Dr. Jamieson adds.

Women with known or suspected gynecologic cancer, current or recent cervical dysplasia, or endometrial hyperplasia are not candidates for the supracervical technique because of the risk of future cervical cancer. Women should be carefully screened to exclude cervical and uterine cancer or cancer precursors before supracervical hysterectomy is performed. A recent normal Pap test is required, and testing for high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) may be considered.

Committee Opinion #388, "Supracervical Hysterectomy," is published in the November 2007 issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
Unread 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

I have my cervix removed and everything is fine without it. My vagina was not shortened and my DH can not tell the difference. Sex is as wonderful as ever and I don't have any problems with lubrication or the Big "O". I think ou have to do what is best for you. I was very afraid that is would be different without it but I can't even tell.

Good Luck!!
Unread 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

My doctor removed my cervix and I've had no problems at all = sex is as good if not better than before. My sister had hers removed and experienced the spotting that can come when the cervix is left intact.
I had no idea it would be removed until after surgery; but again, I don't miss it!
good luck.
Unread 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

Here's an argument for removing the cervix. Some women have mentioned in other posts that they enjoy their lovers' penises hitting their cervix. This can "injure" the cervix and can lead to abnormal pap smears. My doctor recommends removing the cervix to avoid a second surgery.

The cervix is a part of the uterus, composed of endometrial tissue. If you have endometriosis, it is best to remove it to reduce your chances of it recurring.

The cervix does not provide any support for the bladder or provide any pelvic support. There are ligaments attached to the organs that provide the support.

The cervix does not provide lubrication for the vagina. The vaginal walls produce lubrication when a woman is sexually stimulated.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Cervix - to keep or not

Thanks for all this great info -- I go in for LSH this Wednesday and plan to keep my cervix. My doctor gave the same reasons better stability and also possibly better sex but the chance of miniperiods. I'm definitely going to ask about the cauterization -- I want to be done with everything for good. Thanks for the wonderful networking!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register