constipation and constant urination had TAH/bso 4 days ago | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

constipation and constant urination had TAH/bso 4 days ago constipation and constant urination had TAH/bso 4 days ago

Unread 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
constipation and constant urination had TAH/bso 4 days ago

HI sisters.
Well its been 4 days post op had a TAH/BSO. Came home 2 days ago. I am having alot of constipation pain. What can I take for relief that won't cause stomach pains. I am eating fruit and veges, no milk products and I still am having problems. Also I am peeing alot more. Is this normal? No pain at all with urinating, but Im up at least twice in the night.
Any advice please????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Re: constipation and constant urination had TAH/bso 4 days ago

Welcome to the other side, it only gets better in time, and w/ some patience. I would be careful about what veggies you eat, I wouldn't eat any that are known to cause some gas, lord know, at your stage, theres plenty already. I have had great luck w/ gas x, only works on intestinal gas though. Stool softners have became a reg regumine for me as well. Mirlax works great also. The best thing you can do for gas that you are dealing w/ is moving around. Walk as much as you can, not over doing it though. If you have a rocking chair that also helps. I am sorry to say, the gas is one of the worse recovery whoas. It can be very very painful and take quite some time to get rid of. Constipation, I am I think 9 wks now, and still dealing w/ it, not meaning to be neg, but it just takes a bit. At your stage, the peeing is normal, I had never went so much in my life. The bladder is still having spasmps and that too will continue for a bit. However much annoying it is, it's normal. And on top of that, water is the best thing to drink, and that always makes us pee more as well, kinda a necessary evil. I hope things only get better each day for you. This site is great and a wealth of knowledge and loving sisters. Best wishes
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Hi - I have also had problems with consitipation ever since my TAH almost 6 weeks ago, and didn't go for almost 4 days, which hurt like hell when I finally did go!
It's been an ongoing challenge ever since, and if I don't keep on top of it by taking something (multiple things) I stil get backed up for a couple of days then it hurts again.
although I haven't quite mastered the balance of what to take or when, I would advise that you keep on top of it in advance by taking metamucil (or a lot of people I have read take miralax with success) before you go to bed at night, and also keep taking Colace stool softener daily, especially since I imagine you're still taking pain meds which are already really constipating.
the peeing is probably good (you probably still have water in you from the i.v.) but keep drinking as much water as you possibly can tolerate, my doctor said that and eating olive oil is best maintenance/prevention from getting consipated going forward.
big hug to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM

Consider that you had to empty your bowel pre-op. After anesthesia, the bowel is the last thing to return...and narcotics slow the bowel. The gas for me is the worst....hang in there. You just had major surgery, it takes time to get yourself back.

Hugs,
Senia
TVH, 1-22-2010
kept ovaries

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register