Scheduled TAH questions for those of you suffering from fibroids - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions for those of you suffering from fibroids questions for those of you suffering from fibroids

Unread 05-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Re: questions for those of you suffering from fibroids

I can identify with your feelings. My story was very similar to our sister hysterinjune's. When my gyno suggested the TAH, I spent two more painful years in denial making appointments with almost every recommended gyno in the area to get a second opinion. I finally had the surgery on 4.12.10. Aside from the large fibrods on my ovaries and in my uterus, they found one that hadn't shown up on the tests connected to my cervix and pressing into my lower back that measured a foot across. They were so amazed that they took pictures of it and it's removal to show me after the surgery. I'd had such awful back pain for years that I'd been getting pain management injections in my back and have nerve damage in my left leg from acute sciatica.
Today, aside from getting used to hot flashes, I feel better than I have in 15 years! I was able to return to work after 4 weeks and I've lost 25 lbs because I changed my eating and exercise habits to naturally lessen the effects of menopause. I'm 40 years old and prior to surgery, my Wii gave me a Wii fit age of 44. After my BMI and exercise assessment this morning, it gave a Wii fit age of 28! I put this surgery off for 4 years terrified by others horror stories and it feels like the best thing I've ever done for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone for sharing all your experiences with me.
For me to go get a 2nd opinion, it would be at least a 4 month wait then a wait for surgery. I got in so quickly with my doctor because she is new to the area and not in demand yet. So is it worth the wait which could end up being a year to try and find someone who will do lapro for me or do I just get it over with the end of June and be done for good?
I am not emotionally attached to my uterus. I have 4 children who range in age from 13-21. I am very lucky to not have to deal with that as well. I feel for those of you who are dealing with that as well. I was shocked at the idea of surgery and so quick. Thanks to all of you, I am getting my head wrapped around the idea but am still very nervous!
Unread 05-22-2010, 09:53 AM

I had both internal and external ultrasound and they found two rather large fibroids and 'several' smaller ones. My doctor said due to the size of my fibroids and uterus she would not attempt laparoscopy. My husband and I both trusted her and I did not get a second opinion and did not fight the abdominal incision. I am 19 days out and am doing really well. The 'several' smaller fiboids turned out to be 17 total! I definitely don't regret having the surgery and don't see a whole lot of difference between my recovery and those that had laparoscopy. You really have to go with your gut feelings and do what you believe is right for you.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Hey y'all,
Amazing how many of our stories are so similar. My journey started 8 years ago with and abdominal ultrasound for gallstones(should have been a limited study but ended up as a complete) and the tech said, "Did you know your uterus is enlarged?" I "watchfully waited" and tolerated the pain, urinary frequency, constipation, heavy periods, and horrible back and hip pain the whole time waiting for menopause and trying to avoid the dreaded hysterectomy. Over the last year all of te symptoms have gotten worse and my uterus is huge-I am apparently very talented at making fibroids-they are very large and too numerous to count, then in March I ended up in the ED in severe pain. I found a great GYN to do surgery and I am looking forward to a better quality of life post op. Still worried about surgery and the initial post-op period but life on the other side of hysterectomy has to be, no, IT WILL BE BETTER! I'm so glad I found this sight and my other sisters. All of the positive stories I have seen are giving me courage and strength. I hope I can return the favor for others
Unread 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Wow, reading everyone symptoms has me so hopeful!! I have hip pain, back pain etc etc, always thought it was just the joys of turning 40!! I am looking forward to recovering and hopefully being free of a lot of the aches and pains down the road!
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:55 PM

I can tell you that I have been diagnosed with fibroids and am scheduled for my TAH as well.
Since about October 2009 I have had a constant pressure in my vagina.
Unread 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Hello,

I have two kids and I was ready as well. I had mine last week today!! I feel much better today, still pain in the incisions. I cant wait to be somewhat normal. I used to bleed all the time. I tried to get the house ready before I went in. I bought all the easy things the kids like to eat and stocked up on the things I like.I cooked some food so I would have meals I like ready. I try to sit outside each day because the weather is so pretty. I had my tubes tied 11 years ago when I was 26 right after having my daughter and I thought I was going to be okay. I cried in the hospital, I am assuming from the loss. I was fine with the surgery even up until the day of. I felt lost several docs had a=said I had fibriods, this one didn't. she did alblation in february after I told her to take it all, and her Iwas scheduled for the TAH. I was frustrated because I felt she should have taken it the first time, even though I love her, but her I was faced with another surgery and more healing. I feel this was the right thing to do and look forward to recovery. I think the biggest shock was that it will take months to heal, but I am ready. I love this site!!! I just found it the other night and it has helped me sooooo much!! good luck to you. I kept one ovary, my doc wanted to leave both but I always seemes to have pain in the right one, and since I thought I should have had TAH the first time I went with my intuition I am pretty in tune with my body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony12 View Post
Hi sisters!
I'm new to this site. The doc told me 2 days back that I have to have a hysterectomy done. I didn't take a minute to decide whethere to have it now or delay for some time. I'm 41. I was married in 1989. I had my left ovary removed in 96. I suffered a LOT during that time . The doc susupected normal pain so gave over the counter drugs. I used to have pain from 2 days prior tohaving my periods and it used to continue till one week prior to my next cycle. I had a very regular 28days cycle... but the pain was simply unbearable. At times I felt like committing suicide to get relief from the pain. I used to have pain in my left side from my waiste to my toes as if one long vein has been shortened somehow. I couldn't sit for a long time ..always fidgety.one day my transport got bumped into something & after the jerk my pain started & when I went to the doc gave some tests and seeing the reports she said I have to go for the surgery if possible at that very moment. The cyst got larger & it was a chocolate cyst which get tangled with my colon or something. I had no idea abt the surgery but went for it . But sad that one ovary had to be removed. I was trying for a baby at that point of time. Life was good since then as I didn't have pain for a single day & later I had a an IVF baby. I am very conscious about health issues and try to address as soon as possible and don't prefer to sit back and suffer. I used to go for regular check up just to know I'm ok. But for the lat one year or more I'm having irregular periods & heavy bleeding and for a longer period say for 10 -12 days. Only then my Gyn told me that I have fybroids but as those are very small and usually harmless and as long as those don't disturb the function of any othere organ , its ok. she gave me meds to reduce the bleeding. recently one day during the check up she said my utereus seems larger. she gave me tests. I went for internal ultrta sound , pap smear etc. the USG doc told me that I have too many fybroids which cannot be removed and the only option is to remove the uterus. but I have time. no rush. but last month I had pain just like I used to have before my oavrian cycst surgery. I was worried. despite having the med I had HEAVY bleeding. lower back pain & lower abdominal pain. my gyn checked and said the fybroids got larger I have to go for the surgery. but still I don't have to rushe.
But to be very honest I don't want to suffer every month. i want to get rid of this. I have a high profile stressful job. I have a 9 years old daughter to take care. She said she'll keep my ovary which is good in condition. so that I don't have to go for HRT. I'm happy . I'll be having it done in June 1st or 2nd week. Do I need to take any measure before the surgery? Otherewise I'm ok with the whole thing . But at times feeling a bit lost. its not depression. but a strange feeling. do you all have the same?
Finally I'm really happy to found out this site & share & know abt hystero.
Greetings to all my sisters!
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:49 PM

I didn't realize my feelings of pressure on my bladder, stomach and bowels were from the fibroids (15-20) and an enlarged uterus until after my TAH/BSO. I didn't have pain but had gastric problems and incontience. My journey was short compared to some of these sisters. I have had heavy periods for years but didn't know anything was wrong until a well woman exam in 10/09. I had a sonogram later in Oct. showings some of the fibroids. I found out I was anemic so started taking iron. I had a biopsy in Dec. No cancer found. I was planning to wait until summer to have surgery. Meanwhile my periods started lasting 10-12 days. I found a OB/GYN in Jan. He did another biopsy and still no cancer. On 2/08/10 we scheduled the surgery for 3/18/10. I was out of school for 6 wks. and went back for 4 wks. It has already been such a blessing feeling so much better.
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM

hysterinjune, i don't think there is any need to suffer a long time in order to justify your decision! don't worry about that -- there are likely plenty of women on this site who wish they'd acted sooner, me included, and skipped the long-term suffering!

however, it is imperative to be 100 percent sure -- so do your homework, both on the procedure and on your doc. it will be worth the wait if you have any doubts now. it's okay to seek a second opinion or to find a doc with more experience in a broader range of procedures. painful, maybe, but worth it. this is major surgery -- be positive you're in good hands, and doing the type of surgery that's best for you.

over 2/3 of today's hysterectomies are abdominal, while vaginal and laparoscopic procedures have been shown to be effective and available to a wide degree of candidates. it takes specialty training. make sure your doc is recommending abdominal for a reason, not because she's not comfortable or trained in minimally invasive surgery.

my first doc (who recommended LAVH) downplayed my second opinion doc, who shared with me the possibility of single-incision laparoscopic hysterectomy. i was a good candidate for this new type of procedure (SILS hysterectomy), and chose to transfer my care to my second opinion doc. so glad i did, and everything has gone well. no regrets, not one. in fact, i went straight to this option instead of "trying everything," because i wanted it all taken care of -- did not want potential further problems if less invasive procedures did not fix things right. to me, it was worth all the risks. this is a personal choice, and you should be sure of what you want. best wishes with your homework and decisions!!
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM

HYSTERINJUNE,

I did not think I was attached to my uterus either as I had a tubal the day after I had my daughter 11yrs ago and have been happy with that. I have had two crying spells, one I am quite sure from the loss I felt, the other maybe tired and drained!!! I am looking forward to recovery and life after periods. I would suggest getting all the stuff you like to eat stocked in your fridge and cabinets, I am sorry I did not get my favorite ginger tea, that I really cant explain to any of the wonderful men I I have taking care of me!!! I do not want to frustrate them more that their Queen is down. My 14 year old son took it rough the second day!! Anyway good luck and my rpayers are with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysterinjune View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing all your experiences with me.
For me to go get a 2nd opinion, it would be at least a 4 month wait then a wait for surgery. I got in so quickly with my doctor because she is new to the area and not in demand yet. So is it worth the wait which could end up being a year to try and find someone who will do lapro for me or do I just get it over with the end of June and be done for good?
I am not emotionally attached to my uterus. I have 4 children who range in age from 13-21. I am very lucky to not have to deal with that as well. I feel for those of you who are dealing with that as well. I was shocked at the idea of surgery and so quick. Thanks to all of you, I am getting my head wrapped around the idea but am still very nervous!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register