Sexual Side Effects | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sexual Side Effects Sexual Side Effects

Unread 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Sexual Side Effects

Ok, I am going there! LOL! I am having a SAH to leave the cervix in.

I can achieve orgasm from clitoral as well as deep penetration, so my surgeon said she would leave me my cervix, just in case it helped.

I am afraid I am going to lose these great orgasms and I am really enjoying this part of my life right now. lol...

Anyone experiencing any issues with these areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Re: Sexual Side Effects

lucky you!! sounds good!

i was concerned, too, about loss and difference in sexual pleasure. only 42, and did NOT want to lose my Os. ultimately, i realized i could keep my terrific sex life -- best during the 10-12 days per month bleed-free! -- and live with all the horrid side-effects of my menstrual dysfunction. OR, i could take out my uterus, end my heavy periods, regain my energy and feel BETTER -- at the risk of impacting my ability to climax. obviously, i chose the surgery! (not a hard choice for me, really!) figured that if differences in sexual pleasure turned out to be the worst of my complications, i could live with that in exchange for improved quality of life overall. SO glad to now be on the post-op side.

remember that sexual pleasure is also a mindset, not just a physical sensation. whatever changes you experience, if any, can likely be compensated by discovering an alternative pleasure, with some dedicated focus and exploration.

i would like to have kept my cervix -- whatever role it plays isn't exactly known, but i figured why take it if not necessary? on the other hand, my fibroid location made this risky and ultimately -- once inside for surgery -- impossible. oh well, knew it might not stay. i had read enough good stories from others who lost their cervix to know that sexual pleasure might be different, but all will not be lost!

sex is a ways off right now...meanwhile, i love the relationship i have with dh, and will always have fun enjoying his body and giving him a good time! i expect it's this kind of mindset that will help me find ways to make myself happy in the process! best to you, and lots of wishes for a smooth recovery.
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm worried about the same thing but with the pain, bleeding and discomfort I have now, I feel this is a trade off. My DH says if I will be healthy we will work out anything else. Married for 28 years and lots of great O's so I hope the other side is just a good. Best wishes and good thoughts to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2010, 09:26 PM

I had the same concerns and was actually pretty panicked about it cause sex and my great orgasms have always been such a big part of my life. But i finally decided i could not put up with the pain anymore and with support from friends and my sisters here i went ahead with the surgery.

As i am just a week post op I can not give details to how my sex life is yet and I am just praying that the Lord will help me in this area.

Maybe we should start a prayer chain LOL

Best wishes to you and I will keep everyone informed.

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:19 PM

I will offer a ray of hope though we arent cleared for sex yet Im only 4 weeks out this week from a TVH with BSO so no cervix for me just a vaginal cuff. Dr. told me at my two weeks that I was allowed stimulation and orgasm whenever I was comfortable with it just nothing inside. I have now messed around with my buzzy friend twice since my 2 weeks mark and the O's are just as good different but good and almost better since Im not having endo pain etc. Just a ray of light for you ladies at the end of the tunnel. I hope that helps some
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM

I was incredibly concerned about this, too. My libido wasn't exactly great before my TAH/BSO, so I feared that it would be gone entirely. Even though I had my ovaries and cervix removed, I am excited (pardon the pun) to find that I actually have an increase in desire. I've read a lot about what I might expect and experience. I'm just two weeks post-op and am looking forward to being intimate again. Is it strange that in my mind, it's something I view as being "the first time all over again"?
I agree that a lot of it might be attitude and optimism, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I hope that we all continue to experience lots of pleasure!
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM

I am glad to see that we can talk about this too. lol... I do not want to lose this great sex drive. I can only imagine the thought of anytime anywhere is going to drive my dh wild. lol... no more hormones, no more pain, no more bleeding, no more of a lot.... YAYUS!
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:23 PM

this was one of my biggest fears before my hyst... last week i finally reached my 8 weeks and green light for sex... my O's are different, but still good... glad to know nothing was broken in the hyst and everything works perfectly... oh, and my husband is very happy!
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM

I agree with the other Marlee, they are different but still good
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM

My sex life pretty much sucks now. I used to really enjoy it, but haven't had an O from sex in several years now. I'm hoping for some relief from the pressure after my surgery and healing take place. I hope I remember how. :|

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register