Preop hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preop hysterectomy Preop hysterectomy

Unread 11-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Preop hysterectomy

I am new today....My doctor has scheduled me for a hysterectomy with possible TH, 11 Nov 02 (coming Mon). She went through the procedure for surgery so fast that I feel numb.

I have heavy bleeding, clots and cramping on a regular cycle. But I'm not sure it's enough pain and agony to lose my uterus organ for. Please someone, help me with this HUGE decision. I am 43 yrs old and she says I'm premenopausal.....I admit I am emotional these days, but I just got married 6 mths ago and am afraid of losing my sexuality because I feel like I just got it. There are many sites and my Dr. recommended this one, but the surgery is coming on too fast and I'm afraid I haven't given it enough thought.

Can someone help me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Preop hysterectomy

First.. to you!! I know that this is all very overwhelming and scary, esp in the begining. You have come to the right place for a lot of info and support, and I am thrilled that your doc suggested this site. That makes me feel you probably have a very understanding and sympathetic doc, which is GREAT!!

I think it is very common for us women to put up with a lot of pain, suffering, and inconvience b/c we always put everyone else's needs first, and minimize our own probs. You will see here that many of us suffered with symptoms very similar to yours, and one thing that helped me decide was that I almost always read or heard women say after their hyst that it was the best thing they ever did, why did they wait so long, and that their lives were HUGELY improved (especially in the sexual area too). They look better, feel better than they have in years, and that can only be a plus in your new marriage.

Yes, you will have to go thru a recovery period, and possibly some adjustments if you start HRT, but if you have a good support system (family, hub, friends, doc, etc and US!), you will find that in the long run it will be well worth it.

Obviously you need to know all the facts in your med history, research all your options, and then come up with a decison you can be comfortable with, but if you do go forward, please believe that you will still be the same person as before...only better!!

I am 44yr, 2 weeks post op, on bio-identical HRT, and have done great so far, and feel very good! (I even feel normal strong sexual desire, but am obviously not ready to act on it yet!)

We are here for you!
Unread 11-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Preop hysterectomy

I have to agree with everything Gret said. I am also two weeks post op and am feeling wonderful! I started bi-est 1.25 mg and progesterone 100 mg immediately after surgery for my HRT. I don't know if it is the progesterone or because I feel like such a different person but I am raring to go in the sex drive area...even though we have a while before I can act on it. I didn't have any...zero...zilch...nada in the sex drive area before surgery!

Big Big and take care!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Big Decision

Hi Dorey - This is a big decision. It took me several weeks to make the decision to have a SAH, which is scheduled for Dec.. 2. I spent several weeks reading, researching, crying and talking to other women. I asked my Dr. if it was a life or death thing - and said I really needed a couple of weeks to feel comfortable with my decision.

Is there a reason why your Dr. is scheduling you so soon? If this is not an emergency, then maybe several weeks will give you an opportunity to do some research. Most women do better with surgery if they are comfortable with their decision. Your Dr. should take the time to go over everthing with you and you have a right to ask questions until you are comfortable with this. This may be the best thing for you - but you need to understand why and what the reasons are. Please ask your Dr. to go over the procedure again and read through this site so you can get a list of questions together to ask. Keep us posted. This site is a great place to gather information or just plain support.
Unread 11-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Preop hysterectomy

Please follow Florida's advise! YOu need to have time to fully explore the realities and options if this isn't an emergency. You will feel better with the decision if you have all the information as possible.

In my case, I was bleeding too heavy so we DID have to do the surgery, but I wasn't rushed into it. I chose to proceed as soon as possible, and while the doctor was concerned, he would have given my a little more time if I'd asked for it, unless I had started hemorrhaging again.

Talk to your doctor, let her know your head is spinning and ask why this has to be and why it had to be so soon! Then spend lots of time here, reading all the pull down menu's, all the links and talking to all the ladies.

Know that we are here for you, to answer any questions(and there are no dumb ones...it's all okay!) that we can.

You are in my prayers
Unread 11-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Preop hysterectomy

Dorey this isn't going to be easy but you'll get through it with the support of your hubby and family and the friends you'll make here.

If I was to offer advise I would say DON'T allow the doctor to push you into anything you are not ready for. This is a life altering decision - you can't ever go back and undo what is done. Make another appointment to see your doctor and have her explain everything to you again. That is what I had to do - I heard the word hysterectomy and my head started spinning and I didn't hear another the word the DR. said beyond that! Once you understand why your doctor feels this is necessary for you, gather as much info as you can on the internet from all different sources and get a 2cd opinion. It is a very difficult decision to make. I still 2cd guess my choice - 32 years old and I'm looking at having the works removed and I have never really had any problems with my periods either so I can understand where your coming from.

Best of luck in your decision and remember - it's YOUR body!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register