A lady in waiting - Wednesday 3/19! My distractions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A lady in waiting - Wednesday 3/19!  My distractions! A lady in waiting - Wednesday 3/19! My distractions!

Unread 03-15-2003, 06:50 AM
A lady in waiting - Wednesday 3/19! My distractions!

I just had to write one last time before I am on the "other side" and no longer a LIW.

I'm surprised I am not more nervous that I am. Last night I was ready to hand a surgeon a pair of dull scissors in order to operate on me. I have had to stop taking Ibuprofen before my surgery (I lived off of Ibuprofen and have taken it in large doses for years, it helped cover some of the long-lasting pain.) Now I am kind of stuck in waiting and I think my period wants to make an appearance for one last hurrah.

I have filled my life with some nice distractions. I knew that because I have MS and I have some issues with leg spasticity that I have had to consider switching car transmissions: I was driving a Subaru Outback with a standard. I cannot even imagine how using a clutch would feel after abdominal surgery -- OUCH!! Anyway, this waiting period provided a good impetus to finally switch up to a car with an automatic transmission. Last weekend I found my car - and I am IN LOVE (yes, I am a computer geek and a motorhead ... LOL).

I ended up finding a beautiful black Saab 900SE Talladega convertible (Turbo, sport package, 41K, mint). This weekend, I have a couple of nice drives planned ... and if I can put the top down briefly -- I definitely will. This has been the perfect distraction for me - because I love cars ... and this convertible was one I always wanted. This time I was able to make my car choice happen -- keeping literally the same payments, etc. It was more like a swap for me. I LOVE this car ....

I guess the moral of the story is I have found some kind of distraction that is going to give me one more trajectory worth recovering for. I have been experiencing a lot of changes in my life over the past 8 months because of MS and this surgery was just "one more thing" on the plate for me. It might sound crazy, but having this car right now (instead of having waited until after surgery or whatever) gives me something to add to my dreams - like drives through the back roads of VT. with the top down and the sun shining.

What's your "thing" ?

I'm going to enjoy this weekend before I have to have my last day at work (for 8 weeks) on Monday and my "colon prep" on Tuesday. Live for the weekend

Question to the ladies: how long before we are allowed to drive - in most cases???

Take care -- thanks for letting me ramble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 07:04 AM

Hi Diana,

WOW!!! Did you ever find a distraction!! How neat!! You'll have to have someone take your picture and post it in your photo gallery.

To answer your question about when you'll be allowed to drive - I had a TVH and was given the OK at 2 weeks post-op, for short little trips around town. Since I also had some repair work done, I didn't feel up to sitting very long, and so it wasn't until about 3 1/2 weeks post that I actually drove any distance at all (a 2 1/2 hour drive).

I hope you have some nice weather this weekend and can enjoy your new car. Vermont is so beautiful!!

's

Karen
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:05 AM
A Lady in Waiting

What's your "thing" ?

I'm going to enjoy this weekend before I have to have my last day at work (for 8 weeks) on Monday and my "colon prep" on Tuesday. Live for the weekend

Hi there, we share the same date! So glad you have your new car, and it is something to look forward too! Wonderful!
I am just cleaning like mad...just to use energy up and keep distracted. I even cleaned all my drawers and re lined them with paper. Have to move some stuff to make things easier after....
I will be with you on Wed...and alot of other women, trying not to panic as there really isn't anything I can do about it! I will be glad to get the Hosp pre-testing done and have so many questions. I don't have any idea what room I am in etc...and how to let people contact me...not that the first day i will feel like taking much...
hang in there!
nan-c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 07:05 AM
I love cars too

For about a year I've had a 93 chevy blazer. I just put 900
worth of work into it when I got my income tax refund. but
still can't take it out of town. I have to have the front end
fixed (another 500). I've always wanted an suv.
Someday I hope I can get something newer. Even if
I do, I will try to keep the blazer and make it a
'hobby car' I plan on someday putting a lift kit under it
Maybe my Boys will have it someday.
I used to help one of my boyfriends work on 70-74 model
chevy Novas, we would fix them up like show cars
or something...lol It was fun.

I took Auto mechs in high school for 2 years. Was in
Band and a baton twirler at the same time.. my last class
was auto mech and I had to get the grease off of me
and put of my costume for pep rallies on Friday...

And I don't blame you for rambling at all! I got on here the
last two nights on chat just to 'talk' and get my mind off
of the pains.. It helped some. then I got booted, so
the ladies probably think I hastily left for no reason.. (sorry
Solaris and Lockdchoc and Connie).

If you ever want to talk about anything, even cars
you can email me or instant messege me if you like.
My surgery date is a couple of weeks away yet...
Let us know as soon as you can how you are doing
after yours..

s rebecca
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:16 AM

Hi Diana,
Oh what a nice new distraction to look forward to after you are cleared to drive! With the nice weather coming it will be so cool to drive on Vermont roads with the top down. I will be 3 weeks post op Monday for tah, bso with appendectomy and yesterday i had my 2and a half week post op and my doctor cleared me for driving, woo-hoo I dont like being carted around by others. I am feeling so much better everyday. The nurse started yelling at me yesterday because my stomach was so flat, she said hey thats not fair, i had a hyst. in December and mine is still huge, why is yours so flat, I said probably because they took ten pounds of swollen things outta me, they also found out i had appendicitis when they were in there, that would account for the severe stomach aches I have been having. I feel wonderful now. I too like you distracted myself before surgery, we have a brand new beautiful travel trailer, and we have it set up now at a permanent camp site, so on the weekends we have a place to have a quick get away, yet be close enough to home in case one of the kids or family memebers needs us. I started packing up things and getting them ready to go. Also we have had in Mass 101.5 inches of snow this winter, and it has been a long cold depressing winter, heck it just snowed again thursday, so i know this sounds corny but; when I was in the hospital I just kept thinking about how nice it will be when spring gets here and everything will be new again, and I will be feeling great and not bogged down with constant pain, and it just relaxed me so much thinking those thoughts. I am like the biggest surgery baby, but this one went off without a hitch. I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery, and just think soon you will be zipping around in your new car! Please keep us posted after your surgery!

tah bso with appendectomy
~keep the faith~
Unread 03-15-2003, 08:45 AM
What's Your "Thing"?

Mine is dancing.

I'm 6 weeks post op now. Before I went for my surgery, I needed to know I had something to look forward to when I was able to dance again! I dance at Renaissance Faires, but they don't begin until May.
So......I contacted a nearby local college that I knew was setting up evening classes for adults to begin in April. I offered to teach a belly dancing class ( It's great exercise, by the way! ). The class will run 6 weeks, 2 nights a week. They accepted the offer, put my course in their little brochure, and 33 women have already enrolled!! Maximum size of the class will be 50.

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it..making outlines of classes, buying new music !

It's fun to have something you love to look forward to.

I really enjoyed this post, MS_gkygrl !

HollyG
Unread 03-15-2003, 09:25 AM
"what's your thing?"

I forgot to mention in my previous post, "MY thing" to focus
on mainly is weight loss. I'm using the surgery as a
turning point in my life.
I used to keep a weight of 140, I'm 5'6", I gained
each time I was pg. I lost alot of weight one time but
when I was on the depo provera shots I gained alot
back. I stopped the shots and had a tubal. I now
weigh 215 and I hate it. People at work don't
think I look that heavy, I just look big boned. Not a poochy
tummy really. (except about 2 weeks out of the month)

so that and having more fun with the family is my focus.

rebecca
Unread 03-16-2003, 05:59 AM
I want to switch!!

No fair, my "thing" is cleaning, but your "thing" sounds so much nicer...

You are a strong strong woman, big to you for dealing with so much. I too have disabilities added onto this hyster I'm facing and you've got a great attitude.

"sigh" My floor swiffer just doesn't match up to that awesome car!!

LOLOL whatever works....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register