Gain weight lose weight - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gain weight lose weight Gain weight lose weight

Unread 06-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Bloating and swelling

Hi.
I had a question about bloating and swelling.
Since I'm diabetic, I watch my diet excessively, and noticed that I have steadily been gaining weight only in my abdomen. It is as hard as a rock at times, and extremely uncomfortable. I look more pregnant than I did when I really was! None of my clothes fit in the waist, but the arms and legs have shrunk. I thought I was losing my mind, with all of the low carbing and meat eating I was doing. Then my doctor told me I may have gastroparesis, a complication of diabetes that involves slow stomach emptying due to nerve damage of the vagus nerve. She mentioned the possibility of the fibroids causing some of this, too.

Anyway, is this bloatedness and swelling a result of large fibroids? The gyn says I have too many to count, but through a laparoscopy/hysteroscopy in March, she showed me the pictures of a horrid lumpy mass of golf balls, inside and out. Could enlarged fibroids interfere with bowel movements as well? I have been in discomfort from these problems for at least a year. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Gain weight lose weight

Hi Valjak44
Yes I had fibroids not only did I look pregnant I had trouble with both my bowels and my bladder..the fibroids were pressing on everything.They cause more discomfort and pain than you realise until you have them taken out. I hope I answerd your question and best of luck.
Unread 06-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Gain weight lose weight

fibroids can cause all types of "collateral damage". If you have one growing off the uterus as I did it can push on or twist around other organs. A friend of mine who was in good shape found her stomach getting bigger because she was full of fibroids. But since you also have diabetes I would stay in close contact with the dr and really monitor yourself. all the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Gain weight lose weight

I have gained weight in the last two months, I have two fibroids, one is big as a grapefruit and the other one is growing rapidly. I gained about 15 lbs. I am not eating anymore than usually, so me and my DH started walking around the track everyday for about an 1/2 hr., sometimes I can not walk due to the pressure and my back hurts. Hopefully after the surgery all of this will go away.

Unread 06-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Gain weight lose weight

valjac44
Fibroids can definitely cause bowel problems. I had tons of issues prior to my TAH and they have all since resolved. My uterus was very large and pressing on intestines etc... Also, my bladder was more active than I realized prior to surgery. I defintely go about half as frequently now.
Unread 06-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Gain weight lose weight

I've gained a good 10 lbs in the last 5 or 6 months, but I'm pretty sure it is not my fibroids, but because I don't feel up to normal activity. I think I feel better when I eat a little, but then I get the bloating.

I'm scheduled for a TAH on July 1 and am looking forward to the benefits. I know it may be a while before I feel like much exercise...

Sonograms show too many tumors to count - pretty much my whole abdomen is full. Ugh.

Have suffered lower back pain & migraines, which I'm now hopeful about losing!
Unread 06-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks

You all helped me feel much better about this stuff. You just never know what other women are going through sometimes. Now I'm wondering how many of the women I thought were pregnant were really "fibroidal".

Well, my sugars have been excellent for the last two weeks, so I know I will definitely have TAH on the 5th. I actually put on a pair of stretchy pants today and don't care about my tummy. Thanks again and good luck with everything.
Unread 06-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Gain weight lose weight

Valjac, I'm also having my operation on the 5th!

For years, I've had a big belly in proportion to the rest of my body. In the past few years, I've felt very uncomfortable in my lower bowel, bladder, ovaries, and uterus. I'm thinking that the doctor is going to see more than the ultrasound did when he cuts me open and gets a good look inside.

(Incidentally--around the time of my period, I usually have an irritable bowel AND I get interstitial cystitis that feels just like a bladder infection. I have always found it very curious that these conditions only happen around the time of month for my period.)
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Gain weight lose weight

I have lost almost 20 lbs, and my surgery is not until the 7th of July. I have not changed my eating habits, but also have not been able to exercise as much. I guess it could be a loss of muscle mass!? I hope that I gain a little after surgery, but I guess if I am not able to eat for a couple of days, I will only loose more. I wish you the best with your upcoming transformation and recovery. I will see you on the other side.

Hope

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register