Scheduled TAH The waiting is the worst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The waiting is the worst? The waiting is the worst?

Unread 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM
The waiting is the worst?

I've known about my surgery since mid-October. I had it scheduled in late October. I've spent the last two months worrying about it every day. I'm really wondering if the worrying is the worst part?

For anybody else that knew this was coming LONG before it happened, was the before worse than the after?

I'm at two weeks out now and I thought I was going through the stages of grief as I've done anger, sadness, and bargaining. But this week I've hit what I can only describe as "apathy"...I think I've worried and stressed so much that I've worn my emotions out. Or maybe this is acceptance but it isn't a beautiful peaceful acceptance and more of a "Meh" acceptance.

I've been trying to do this meditation thing that a friend gave me that's supposed to improve healing from surgery but instead of feeling calm I just feel like I'm in a vague stupor.

I think I'm just ready to be done with this....I'm so tired of being stressed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Re: The waiting is the worst?

I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO a week from today. My GYN wanted the surgery done in October, but I was unable to get an appointment with the revolving door of doctors medical group that is supposedly my "family doctor." I have high blood pressure, severe anemia, and kidney problems so I needed the clearance from my GP. After waiting 3 weeks to get in, and 2 hours in the exam room, a doctor cleared me without any more than shaking my hand. No questions, no tests, nothing. By then, the earliest surgery date was just before Thanksgiving, so I opted to wait until after the holidays. I, too, would also love to hear from someone who's been through this that this awful waiting, stressing out, etc., is the worst part. I've done the anger, sadness, etc., and this week it seems to have morphed into a sort of rage. I'm not liking me at all!
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM

The waiting is definitely the hard part! I scheduled mine about 3 months out just because the timing was best. It was 10 weeks ago now and I am pretty much back to normal, even getting back into my exercise routine. It seems kind of like a non-issue now, believe it or not! My incisions still itch some and every now and then I see a little blood (drop or two) but that is it. I feel so much better than before!

Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopysCoPilot View Post
I've known about my surgery since mid-October. I had it scheduled in late October. I've spent the last two months worrying about it every day. I'm really wondering if the worrying is the worst part?

For anybody else that knew this was coming LONG before it happened, was the before worse than the after?

I'm at two weeks out now and I thought I was going through the stages of grief as I've done anger, sadness, and bargaining. But this week I've hit what I can only describe as "apathy"...I think I've worried and stressed so much that I've worn my emotions out. Or maybe this is acceptance but it isn't a beautiful peaceful acceptance and more of a "Meh" acceptance.

I've been trying to do this meditation thing that a friend gave me that's supposed to improve healing from surgery but instead of feeling calm I just feel like I'm in a vague stupor.

I think I'm just ready to be done with this....I'm so tired of being stressed out.
Dear Snoopy,

I think our emotions can be our worst enemy. I understand were your coming from. Your emotions and the process is sooo normal. What held me together was the support of my DH and family. Relief will come after the surgery. There are sisters here to support you who've gone before you with their hyster experiences. You've come to the right place because Hyster is the best place to learn and share. All will be well with you. Hang in there.

Sandra
LAVH/BSO...endo/adenomyosis....living pain free and feeling great.
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM

For me, the before was much worse. I had about a month to freak myself out. :-) Right around two weeks before my surgery, I was able to keep myself busy with getting things done around the house, cooking extra meals, etc, so that really helped keep my mind off of all the what ifs. The biggest relief was when I woke up in the recovery room, with the nurse telling me everything was ok. At that point, I just concentrated on getting better. I had surgery 5 weeks ago today and I'm pretty much feeling like myself.
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:59 AM

I think waitting is one of the worst things, I was lucky I only had to wait 2 weeks, I think if I had to wait a long time like you are, I would have gone nuts, or cancled it. Try and get your house in order, Pre-make some meals so you can rest with out feeling guilty, clean the house good, get all the laundry done. Find some books are art project you can do the frist week home. And get ready to be board out of you mind when you get home. I like to say recover is like a roller coaster ride, you get a little scared waitting, then excited, then OH ****, its here and you don't know what to expect, just hang on, and try to enjoy the ride. When its all said and done and you are past the frist 8 to 12 weeks, you will look back and say I wish I would have done it sooner.
Good luck.

Denise
Unread 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM

I'm right there with ya!!!
Unread 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM

me too, (jan 10 TAH) i am super cranky, biting everyones head off and can hardly stand myself. i wanted to spend this week cleaning but instead i'm doing unfinished work to prepare for my time off. i am teary and my nerves are making me itchy. alot of posts indicate that the waiting really is the hardest part so i'm banking on that .
good luck all
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM

The waiting is terrible. The best ting you can do is try to keep yourself busy. The healing is not a great time but I would say the waiting is way worse. Best wishes to you.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:28 PM

tpood,

Stop and take a good breath, then understand that you are not super woman, you can only do so much. get someone to help get the house ready for you. I hate to say this but don't relie to much on your friends after surgery, dont get me wrong, some are great, but most just don't cut it. They mean well, but they forget about you after about 5 days. So get things done now, call in favors now, get them to make some dinners you can freeze, and don't forget about lunch for you, you need stuff you can warm up fast or make easy. get this all ready now so you will have it. And don't over do it when you get home from the hosp. REST, REST, and more REST or you will not heal fast.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register