Upcoming hysterectomy 2/7: tips on what to pack? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/7: tips on what to pack? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/7: tips on what to pack?

Unread 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/7: tips on what to pack?

Hi I'm booked in for a TAH on Feb 7th 2015. I'm expecting 3-4 nights in hospital. Does anyone have any tips on what to pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2015, 09:34 PM

Hi Shezzels, I'm expecting to stay 3to 4 nights also. Ive started my list
4 pairs oversized undies
2 jammie's probably be wearing hospital gown first couple of days.
Light dressing gown
Hand cream
Lip balm
Shampoo conditioner
Makeup remover wipes
Nappie wipes
Tooth brush/ paste
Hairbrush/ hairband
Tinted Moisturiser
Deodorant
Mints
iPad with books downloaded
I'm getting my eyebrows waxed and tinted also my eyelashes tinted and my hair regrowth done so I can look my best at my worst lol.
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the ideas KatVonDj.
Even though I've known for almost 3 months that I would be having a hysterectomy, it was only confirmed yesterday and this time next week it will be done - yay! But I'm feeling a little underprepared. Anyway tomorrow I'll concentrate on getting the kids ready to go back to school on Monday and then concentrate on me for the rest of the week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2015, 12:25 AM

Hi Shezzels, I'm doing the same next week try to relax and do a little pampering prob also go and get a massage and facial, and trying not to think to much about it ��
Unread 01-31-2015, 07:21 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/7: tips on what to pack?

I didn't use the nightshirts or underwear I brought to wear in the hospital - the hospital supplied clean gowns and mesh underwear daily. But the gowns were all short-sleeved, and my long skinny arms were cold, so I loved the long-sleeved lightweight bathrobe I found at a thrift shop! It was longer than the hospital gowns as well, and just the thing to wear when walking laps around the ward. :-)

For your feet, you want something with a non-slip sole. Also, be aware that your feet will swell from fluid, like a long airplane flight. I picked up a pair of Croc wanna-bes at Walmart, and those were perfect.

The chapstick and hand lotion my mother had advised were life savers. If you wear glasses, bring a case to part them in during surgery and at night. I brought a colourful cloth bag to hang off my bedrail for the things I want to keep close to hand. (Glasses case, chapstick, tissues, hard candies to sooth a scratchy throat and - please don't laugh - pet rock.)

I *didn't* bring a large container or bottle for water and wished I had. The nurses kept bringing me these tiny little cups that did absolutely nothing for my ravenous thirst. A visting friend finally went out to a convenience store and bought me four bottles of water. Ahhhhh!

*Bring entertainment*. The first day after surgery I was really out of it. The second and third days, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I brought different levels of reading material - a bulb catalog with pretty pictures, a couple of light story collections and, for meatier reading, a collection of geological essays. I blasted through all the lighter levels on the second day and got started on the essays, which also kept me entertained on the third day.

Bring a notebook and pen to jot questions down as they occur to you, stray bits of information you pick up, etc.

Wear loose, comfy clothing to the hospital so that you can wear the same things home. Also, bring a large menstrual pad to wear for the ride home in case the hospital doesn't give you a spare. They'll supply pads while you're in the hospital.

When choosing personal care items, be aware that some hospitals have a "no scents is good sense" policy. I never used the soap or body wash I brought. A nurse came by every day with a basin, wash clothes and soap and helped me with a sponge back from the waist up. (I was wearing compression stockings, so my legs weren't accessible.) But I was glad I brought: toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush and comb. Brushing and combing my hair made me feel more human. I didn't bother with deodorant while in the hospital but put some on for the ride home as a friend was driving me and I felt it would be courteous.
Unread 01-31-2015, 09:27 AM

I packed a bag but didn't use anything from it. The hospital provide the panties, couldn't change into pajamas because of the catheter, the IV, and the epidural line. But I didn't want to change into anything. The only things I needed were clothes to return home in, Chapstick, Lotion, toothbrush and paste, my phone and charger. I didn't use my iPad at all. I have dreads so I didn't need a comb or brush. I forgot the pillow to put between the seatbelt and myself but found I did okay without it. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM

Oh, yeah, the pillow! I forgot one too, but asked the friend who was driving me home to bring one, which she did. It was a two-hour drive and I was glad to have that pillow.

Re: bringing electronics: the room (a semi-private) I was in was notably lacking in free electrical outlets. What with the sockets needed for the beds, the IV pumps (I had two, not sure how many my roomie had), etc., there was already a lot of stuff plugged in. Also keep in mind that when you're asleep, there's no security for your belongings.
Unread 01-31-2015, 10:42 AM

My biggest thing for what I want for the hospital is my own pjs, a nice big robe for walking and slippers - I got almost a moccasin type slipper they're booties so I don't run the chance of falling out of them tripping etc. I also bought a nice fluffy blanket. Then I have a book in case im bored but I imagine we would be sleeping more than anything in the hospital. Also, phone charger. If you're attached to your phone like I am you'll want it with you. Also provides some entertainment! Best wishes for your surgery!!!
Unread 01-31-2015, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I have to drop off my forms at the hospital tomorrow and you've given me some more ideas of questions to ask about what they supply and what they suggest to bring with me.
I like the idea of having a bag to hang from the bed SurprisedInNB, to have a few things close by. The hospital bedside tables always seem so small.
We only live a 10min drive from the hospital and I hadn't thought about a pillow but the way hubby drives I might need one!
Also as we are so close I can send hubby home to get anything I forget
Unread 01-31-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezzles View Post
...I like the idea of having a bag to hang from the bed SurprisedInNB, to have a few things close by. The hospital bedside tables always seem so small...
Small, and sometimes the nurses move them out of the way and forget to put them back. Not so great when you've just had abdominal surgery so can't just stretch out and pull the table back. :-(

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register