Question on Migraines before and after surgery... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on Migraines before and after surgery... Question on Migraines before and after surgery...

Unread 02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Question on Migraines before and after surgery...

My surgery is scheduled next Tuesday, February 19 for a complete hysterectomy..ovaries, tubes and all. (sorry new here and not quite yet familiar with all the acronyms yet) My hysterectomy is to treat Endo and PCOS after many years of unsuccessful treatment like most of you here. I am very worried about how this will affect my migraines. Are any of you migraine sufferers that have gone through a complete hysterectomy? I would really like to hear what this has done to your migraines! Have they gotten better or worse? I would like to know what to expect them to do after surgery if at all possible...

Thank you for any and all help!
Sassyapp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi Sassyapp,

I do like you have horrible migraines however since my op they have not been as bad as they were i am starting to think now that the migraines were related to the pain i was in with the endo and pcos.

Hope this helps good luck for the 19th i will be thinking of you.

xxx
Unread 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Hi! I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy in June 2006. I kept my ovaries, but everything else went. I had horrible migraines before surgery, they think due to hormones and cysts. I have only had 2 major migraines since surgery!! I sure hope you will lose your migraines! I wish you all the best on the 19th and you have certainly come to the right place to get advice and comfort!! Take care!! michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 07:59 PM

Hello from a fellow migraine sufferer. I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) on May 18, 2007. While I still have an occasional migraine, they are very few and far between. I had them far more frequent prior to my hysterectomy and I personally believe that they were triggered by the monthly hormone fluctuations and the pain I was experiencing while I was still having a menstral cycle. I have only had two migraines post surgery that were severe enough to require a visit to my physician.

Hope all goes well for you on the 19th and that you hysterectomy takes care of those nasty migraines!
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:52 PM

My migraines are so much better - I would have had the surgery just for that. I'd say at least 95% better and I got them a lot ; every day was not unusual. I hope yours go away, too!
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:59 PM

I had migraines a lot before surgery and could almost guarantee I'd have one every month the day before my period. I think a lot of mine were triggered by hormonal fluctuations. I did have one on the second post-op day with vomiting (which is not fun with an abdominal incision!!). I kept one ovary but my GYN thinks it's in shock so is supplementing with Vivelle dot until such time as it starts working again. My headaches have been a LOT better since she started the HRT.

Best wishes for your surgery and hopefully your headaches will improve afterwards also!

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:57 AM

sassyapp

I'm sorry you're a migraine sufferer.

If your migraines are hormonal and your ovaries are being removed in addition to the hysterectomy then, hopefully, you may find a difference. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I kept my ovaries and my migraines are unchanged. Oh well!

Sending all good wishes for your surgery!

Unread 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM

I am a migraine sufferer, I actually had one the day of my surgery, went in to surgery with one, but I had a LSH a week ago and I have NOT had a single headache and I got a headache everyday, whether it was severe or minor, I am now beginning to think my headaches had a lot to do with my problems. I had fibroids causing me to bleed ALL THE TIME. SO far so good. Hopefully yours will go away too or ease up. Note, that only my uterus was removed kept ovaries.

Good luck with your surgery and HAPPY RECOVERY
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Thank you everyone for replying! The day is approaching quickly and I am getting more and more nervous (like many of you on your days)! At least maybe I won't have to be too concerned about my migraines! Sounds like everyone on here was either unchanged or better with their migraines...I can definately handle that! I was just afraid of them getting worse, but I know. No guarantess, of course, but at least there's hope!

Thank you all!
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM

I also am a migrane sufferer, and I had to have one ovary removed due to cysts. I had a TVH, It has only been a week and a day since my surgery, so I really don't know yet if the migranes will go.

I do want to wish you the best of luck and the disappearance of those migranes after.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register