Hitting the wall - falling asleep from sudden onset exhaustion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hitting the wall - falling asleep from sudden onset exhaustion Hitting the wall - falling asleep from sudden onset exhaustion

Unread 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Hitting the wall - falling asleep from sudden onset exhaustion

I am 7 weeks post TAH/BSO and have had a very slow recovery due to complications/extra surgery.

I have been doing a little more with each passing week but have taken my recovery very seriously and very slowly, like a good little princess!

But in the past fortnight, every 2 or 3 days I seem to hit a 'brick wall' of exhaustion and I swear I could fall asleep standing up.

All I've done today is potter at home doing light jobs, saw a friend at a restaurant for lunch then another friend at home for a chat and afternoon tea. I felt a little tired but nothing more.

Then, at 5pm I was sitting on my bed with my DD (age 11) and I was suddenly overwhelmed with exhaustion and just fell sound asleep - apparently as I was talking to her and my DH, who had just arrived home from work. I woke up about half an hour later, feeling quite refreshed, but have no recollection of seeing my DH before I fell asleep. He claims I had been talking to him with my eyes open! So odd!

It's not the first time I've had what I can only describe as 'rapid onset exhaustion', and all I can do is collapse in a heap and sleep. It's not as if I'm back at work yet or doing a lot so I'm a bit concerned.

Has anyone else had this? How long will it last?

I can't bear the thought of this continuing, especially when I'm back at work as I spend quite a lot of time in meetings, and my boss is quite a boring man (sort of drones on and on) - I could well imagine myself falling asleep as he's blithering on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Re: Hitting the wall - falling asleep from sudden onset exhaustion

I have not had that extreme - but I am now 5 weeks today and am still exhausted after very little exercise - I am getting better each week tho.

I would say that the first 4 weeks you are back at work let it be work, and llittle else, until you get your full energy back

Elaine
Unread 09-24-2010, 03:51 AM

I went back to work on Wed at 7wks after TAH kept ovaries on 8/4. I am so tired. I am also having trouble sleeping at night. I plan to take it easy this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2010, 05:03 AM

I don't have it that bad but there are times still, 3 months post, where I will just hit a wall and HAVE to sleep. Yesterday was one of those days. I handed the children off to my husband and went to sleep for like 2 hours. DH said he tried numerous times to wake me and I wouldn't wake up. Not like me at all!
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Hello, I am a few days shy of my 5 weeks. While I am not that extreme, I find that I am totally exhausted every few days and have to sleep for almost an entire day. I did go back to school and my DH is gone Monday thru Friday so the house and the kids are left to me, as well as I am a full time college student. So this explains why I am so tired. I do try to go to bed early most nights, and take a short nap in the afternoon. This seems to help some. You may be doing too much too soon and this is your body's way of telling you that you need to rest more while you are healing.

Best wishes for your continued recovery!!!

HUGS!!!
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Ripple, I get very tired and must sleep at times. But not as extreme as yours. Today I am 1 month post op. But if it contiunes I would suggest you call your doc. It maybe that you are anemic (sp) and need iron.
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Hi,
I am 8 weeks post-op, back at work and exhausted everyday. I can do nothing but, go to work and come home. In bed by 7pm each night.
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM

I am 8 weeks post op and working almost 30 hrs per week. This morning I woke up and have just felt groggy and fatigued for hours, now. I have a lunch date with friend, but I think I'm coming home and going to bed. Did some yard work this week with sister and I think that just did me in.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM

I had my TAH on July 21. The pain is finally getting better, but this past week, I have been just exhausted. I have never felt this way. I'm tired when I go to bed, tired when I wake up. I saw my hematologist a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not anemic, not that my hemoglobin is high, but it is just in the normal range.

I'm not a vitamin taker, but my doctor told me to start taking supplements. I think I've found some to try. I'm hoping that will help.
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Wow - I'm clearly not alone on this one. Although the past couple of days have been better, I was busy this morning and then went out for lunch with my in-laws and DH and have come back barely able to keep my eyes open.

The problem is I keep having insomnia and stay wide awake until 3/4am so today I am going to try to stay awake until later this evening in the hope that I sleep tonight.

I think I will try vitamins too. I know I am just under the normal range for haemaglobin, which does account for some of it, but at least I know now it's not just me.

You could leave me in the day room of an old people's home and I would blend right in!

I do wonder when this kind of tiredness passes?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register