I want a hysterectomy and need advice (Updated) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I want a hysterectomy and need advice (Updated) I want a hysterectomy and need advice (Updated)

Unread 05-31-2014, 12:11 AM
I want a hysterectomy and need advice (Updated)

Fill free to ask any questions. Please help me ladies.

I'm 25 years old. All my life I hAve had problems with my menstrual cycle. I have been on many forms of birth control and nothing has worked.
Let me tell you a bit about my story and the help I need.
November of 2013 I started a cycle, didn't think anything of it. But when two weeks went by I was getting a bit mad. Oh mind you at this time I had the merina IUD in for a year. My period continued. The current doctor I had wasnt helping me, so I went to another obgyn. The first appt which was in March 2014, he listened to what was going on and suggested a birth control. I tried it. Not even two weeks in the pain and bleeding increased. He had me try another one. Same thing happened. So, april 9 2014, I went in in tears and he said lets have surgery tomorrow.. A d&c ia what he suggested. I thought to myself " anything that will help ill try".
The surgery was the next morning 4/10/14, everything went great and I went home. Everything that had started in November is back.I went to the doctor today and told him that everything had come back. In my mind I wanted to tell him that I wanted a hysterectomy. But I didnt say anything. He told me that he wants to increase my birth control and start me on an injection that will put me through menopause.. I left.
As soon as I walk out of the hospital, I said no. I called and left a message and when the nurse called back I told her I was done with all the meds, thewe treatments and still being in the same situation. I told her I wanted it all over with. She informed me she would tell my doctor but I have to wait till my next appointment to talk with him. She asked me some questions and we ended the call. Since then ive had no pain relief the the bleeding is still out of control.
What should I do? Let him know what I feel and what I want? What I believe is best? I need help ladies.I have chronic/severe pain all the time, horrible bleeding, and endometriosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Re: Hysterectomy?? Please help!!

I wish I had some advice for you, but I can sympathize. I have had problems with my periods since they started when I was 11 years old, which is nearly 25 years ago now. I will be 35 in less than a month, at which point in time I can no longer take any form of birth control, according to my doctor--who is right now telling me that I can take birth control or do nothing. This coming after she told me a month ago that after all the things we've tried have not worked, she was going to schedule a hysterectomy. I ended up having an emergency surgery for an ovarian torsion, after which she informed me of the whole "birth control or nothing, hysterectomy is off the table " deal.

I pretty much did nothing about my period issues until I got really sick 2 years ago. I ended up on the ER, feeling like death. They told me my blood count was very low and they didn't know why (didn't really check much either, very helpful) but I knew why. I had surgery (D&C, hysteroscopy and polypectomy) 2 weeks later. That did not help, so the next month I had another D&C, ablation and a diagnostic lap. I am still having problems, and apparently not much recourse at this point. I do know that they have to try a lot of things for insurance purposes, and obviously a hysterectomy at a young age (or any age really) is not something to be taken lightly as it carries it's own risks. I hope that you can find relief soon. I'm so sorry you are going through this, best wishes to you!

Danielle
Unread 05-31-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReganCassidy View Post
I wish I had some advice for you, but I can sympathize. I have had problems with my periods since they started when I was 11 years old, which is nearly 25 years ago now. I will be 35 in less than a month, at which point in time I can no longer take any form of birth control, according to my doctor--who is right now telling me that I can take birth control or do nothing. This coming after she told me a month ago that after all the things we've tried have not worked, she was going to schedule a hysterectomy. I ended up having an emergency surgery for an ovarian torsion, after which she informed me of the whole "birth control or nothing, hysterectomy is off the table " deal.

I pretty much did nothing about my period issues until I got really sick 2 years ago. I ended up on the ER, feeling like death. They told me my blood count was very low and they didn't know why (didn't really check much either, very helpful) but I knew why. I had surgery (D&C, hysteroscopy and polypectomy) 2 weeks later. That did not help, so the next month I had another D&C, ablation and a diagnostic lap. I am still having problems, and apparently not much recourse at this point. I do know that they have to try a lot of things for insurance purposes, and obviously a hysterectomy at a young age (or any age really) is not something to be taken lightly as it carries it's own risks. I hope that you can find relief soon. I'm so sorry you are going through this, best wishes to you!

Danielle
Well ive had a d&c, many forms of birth control. I just cant do it anymore. Im still up right now at 240am cause I'm bleeding through my clothes. Im thinking about going to the ER tomorrow at help with the pain. Im not willing to keep doing things that won't work. I just cant do it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2014, 06:44 AM

I symphatize with you, you ladies are very young for a hysterectomy, don't if you can help it. Have you thought of stopping your birth control pills and IUDs , they only mask your issue not go to root cause of problem. Or they MAY be the cause of it since your uternine lining has been thinned so much by pills that you are bleeding, perhaps you have fibroids, a caring doctor can help you. Find one that works to preserve your fertility. Try to search for Pope John Paul Institute or Creighton Model they treat abnormal uterine bleeding.
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM

I cant take the pain nor all the blood ANYMORE. I hope they may help. I was walking my dog this morning and fell to my knees the pain was that severe.
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Wow...you are going through a lot. I started having abnormal periods with servere pain at 39 yrs of age. I couldn't leave the house because the bleeding was soo bad. However, I wasn't taking any birth control pills to control it. I did have a D&C which stopped my problem for all of 3 months. I was losing blood so much that even when I sat, the room would spin. When I would sleep for 30mins, my dream would spin. I live here in Chicago, IL and I decided that I wasn't taking it any more as well. Now, I do have 4 daughters and I have already decided that I don't want any more kids. So when I went to see the my doctor, I went in telling her that I don't want my uterus any more. She was shock but understanding and ordered tests. When she saw that I lost a lot of blood, had 3 tumors (one size of tennis ball, second size of grapefruit, third size of cantaloupe), she schedule me for a hysterectomy. I am still recovering but at least I know that I don't have to go through what I've been going through. My doctor told me that I should of went into the ER when this was going on so that they could "stablize" me. So the idea of going to the ER is a good one. Go! You are young, so having kids in your life have to be decided. Perhaps looking at other ways to have children, such as adoption may be your path in life.
Unread 05-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisI abrown View Post
Wow...you are going through a lot. I started having abnormal periods with servere pain at 39 yrs of age. I couldn't leave the house because the bleeding was soo bad. However, I wasn't taking any birth control pills to control it. I did have a D&C which stopped my problem for all of 3 months. I was losing blood so much that even when I sat, the room would spin. When I would sleep for 30mins, my dream would spin. I live here in Chicago, IL and I decided that I wasn't taking it any more as well. Now, I do have 4 daughters and I have already decided that I don't want any more kids. So when I went to see the my doctor, I went in telling her that I don't want my uterus any more. She was shock but understanding and ordered tests. When she saw that I lost a lot of blood, had 3 tumors (one size of tennis ball, second size of grapefruit, third size of cantaloupe), she schedule me for a hysterectomy. I am still recovering but at least I know that I don't have to go through what I've been going through. My doctor told me that I should of went into the ER when this was going on so that they could "stablize" me. So the idea of going to the ER is a good one. Go! You are young, so having kids in your life have to be decided. Perhaps looking at other ways to have children, such as adoption may be your path in life.
Even at 25 I dont want children. When I had experienced my four miscarriage I was done. I made my mind up then. My ER vist wasn't what I expected. My laps and urine came back good. They called my OBGYN and gave me a medication through my iv supposedly to stop the bleeding. My doctor tild the ER to telk me not to cancel my upcoming appointment with him.
So my thoughts, im telling him what I want and why. I dont want to live like this anymore. Im so tired.
Unread 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess21 View Post
I symphatize with you, you ladies are very young for a hysterectomy, don't if you can help it. Have you thought of stopping your birth control pills and IUDs , they only mask your issue not go to root cause of problem. Or they MAY be the cause of it since your uternine lining has been thinned so much by pills that you are bleeding, perhaps you have fibroids, a caring doctor can help you. Find one that works to preserve your fertility. Try to search for Pope John Paul Institute or Creighton Model they treat abnormal uterine bleeding.
Im no longer on my IUD. During my d&c my doctor removed it. He insists on me continuing to take the birth control. He also suggested putting me through menopause but I dont want that. I want it gone, to disappear forever. I cant do this anymore. I just dont know how to go about it.
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie2four View Post
Fill free to ask any questions. Please help me ladies.

I'm 25 years old. All my life I hAve had problems with my menstrual cycle. I have been on many forms of birth control and nothing has worked.
Let me tell you a bit about my story and the help I need.
November of 2013 I started a cycle, didn't think anything of it. But when two weeks went by I was getting a bit mad. Oh mind you at this time I had the merina IUD in for a year. My period continued. The current doctor I had wasnt helping me, so I went to another obgyn. The first appt which was in March 2014, he listened to what was going on and suggested a birth control. I tried it. Not even two weeks in the pain and bleeding increased. He had me try another one. Same thing happened. So, april 9 2014, I went in in tears and he said lets have surgery tomorrow.. A d&c ia what he suggested. I thought to myself " anything that will help ill try".
The surgery was the next morning 4/10/14, everything went great and I went home. Everything that had started in November is back.I went to the doctor today and told him that everything had come back. In my mind I wanted to tell him that I wanted a hysterectomy. But I didnt say anything. He told me that he wants to increase my birth control and start me on an injection that will put me through menopause.. I left.
As soon as I walk out of the hospital, I said no. I called and left a message and when the nurse called back I told her I was done with all the meds, thewe treatments and still being in the same situation. I told her I wanted it all over with. She informed me she would tell my doctor but I have to wait till my next appointment to talk with him. She asked me some questions and we ended the call. Since then ive had no pain relief the the bleeding is still out of control.
What should I do? Let him know what I feel and what I want? What I believe is best? I need help ladies.I have chronic/severe pain all the time, horrible bleeding, and endometriosis.
Sounds like you feel as though your hitting a wall at every turn.
It's definetly best to communicate to your Dr what your wishes are for relief from this situation. Hopefully he agrees with you and you can move forward. If he doesn't, ask why and what are your other options.
Take that step first. I hope you have peace of knowing that your words are heard. Sorry you are in pain ;(
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltsplace View Post
Sounds like you feel as though your hitting a wall at every turn.
It's definetly best to communicate to your Dr what your wishes are for relief from this situation. Hopefully he agrees with you and you can move forward. If he doesn't, ask why and what are your other options.
Take that step first. I hope you have peace of knowing that your words are heard. Sorry you are in pain ;(
Thank you. I just hope I cant last till Friday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register