TAH Gas & Nausea 3 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas & Nausea 3 weeks post hysterectomy Gas & Nausea 3 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 07-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Gas & Nausea 3 weeks post hysterectomy

Hello everyone,
Yesterday was my 3week post op mark. Sunday I ate some deer meat, white rice, cherries, & drank organic cranberry juice. A few hours later I was severely nauseated and vomiting. Today, I am not vomiting but I am still very nauseated.

I have had horrible gas, which I know comes with the territory, but I am wondering how long these gas pains lasted for others. Between the gas and the nausea I have been miserable the last two days.

Has anyone experienced the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2016, 04:13 AM
Re: Gas & Nausea 3 weeks post hysterectomy

Hey,
I'm three weeks post TVH and still in excruitiating gas pain and having trouble with BM.
I was told it was all part of it. They recommended a softener, plenty of water and GasX.
Feeling your your pain (literally) xxxxx
Unread 07-14-2016, 05:40 AM

I wonder if the food was just too rich for you or if perhaps the meat you had might've been slightly undercooked. I preferred bland - really bland - food for the first few weeks. The surgery has a way of upsetting our motility, things did get moved around, plus the anesthesia and meds may have their side effects.

Most women have their personal solution for bowel issues - but what works for one may not work for another. Some say warm prune juice, others are okay with cold, still others find warm water works. I never had any luck with stool softeners (used 'em twice in my life and both times they did...nothing), though some women that's all they need. Proper food choices go a long way, too. A diet with more fiber and magnesium (whole grains, veggies, dark leafy greens, fruits, nuts, seeds) and less processed foods have fewer additives for the body to digest, along with water-water-water. Getting out and walking also gets the system going, but do what your body allows. I took GasX for a short while, not sure it did much.

My go-to solution has been Fiber One original cereal, raisin bran, dried prunes (ick), prune juice (icky-ick, requires a chaser of something that tastes better) eaten throughout the day - yes, I've had cereal for lunch before - plus the additional fruits & veggies. Again, water-water-water, otherwise you're making rocks - and rocks don't flow smoothly. Ask me how I know ! Final tip, use a low footstool about 7-9" to get your knees above your hips. We're actually built to squat, not sit, and propping your feet aligns the body properly for emptying.

As far as how long it lasts... I thought I had it figured out with my go-to solution, yet I've still gone through occasional bouts through 7 weeks. Usually it's when my routine is interrupted with traveling or dining out more, like during July 4th. I'm finding as my routine is getting back to normal, so are my internals.

Best wishes for lubed tubes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Thanks. No one else became ill with the food, so we have deduced that it was just too heavy for my stomach or I may have had a virus because it lasted three days.

As far as the bowels go, this gas is NO joke. I have found that the best solutions for me were a laxative, a lot of WATER, & walking, & even then things didn't get to moving regularly until they wanted to move. I tried prune juice (cold & warm), suppositories, stool softeners, & fruit.

i guess I just want my body to get back to normal sooner than it wants to, so it's telling me to be patient and take care of myself.

I hope the pain eases for both you and I, very soon.

:
Unread 07-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Because cherries are botanically related to plums, they're high in poorly digested carbohydrates, which can cause nausea and gas, like prunes can. To resolve the gas, and to get your bowels moving, be sure you're taking regular walks, which will help more than anything else; also try peppermint tea. I would not recommend laxative or suppositories for this, because your bowel can become dependent on them, which could make the situation worse. In addition to the walking, try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. To directly treat the nausea, have some ginger tea or flat ginger ale, and avoid hard to digest foods, which are also major gas producers; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 07-14-2016, 08:43 AM

I'm at two weeks post op and still have attacks of nausea and gas though my bowels are working fine. Ginger tea really helps with the nausea and peppermint tea helps with the gas. I also found eating smaller meals, more frequently to help.
Unread 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Thanks so much everyone. Yeah...I learned the hard way about cucumbers. I had a HUGE bowl of them. I was crying and thought I would have to go back to the hospital & when my mom discovered I had eaten those, she just shook her head...lol. I didn't know; I thought I was being healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
Because cherries are botanically related to plums, they're high in poorly digested carbohydrates, which can cause nausea and gas, like prunes can. To resolve the gas, and to get your bowels moving, be sure you're taking regular walks, which will help more than anything else; also try peppermint tea. I would not recommend laxative or suppositories for this, because your bowel can become dependent on them, which could make the situation worse. In addition to the walking, try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. To directly treat the nausea, have some ginger tea or flat ginger ale, and avoid hard to digest foods, which are also major gas producers; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Best wishes for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register