Not Sure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-10-2001, 06:26 AM
Not Sure

Have been reading many posts regarding fibroids that have caused numerous health concerns.

I was informed after a pelvic exam 3 months ago that I had fibroid(s) and enlarged uterus. Approximately 12-14 months. Had an ultrasound, uterine biopsy and a CA-125 test. Ultrasound verified one at 6cm near top and one 3cm on right. Uterine biop came up "Simple" Hyperplasia. Ca-125 came back within normal range.

The last time I had an exam was 2 years previous to this,nothing out of the oridinary. He states that this size preseented in 2 years is a large, fast growing fibroid. That we could monitor it, but if it was someone in his family he would advise removal, as that type of growth may be the only indicator that the tumor being cancerous.
I have been on 20 mg per day of progestin for 2 1/2 months for the hyperplasia. I am also aware that simple hyperplasia is the mildest form and can be reversed.

With all of my concerns, I wanted a second opinion and he sent me to a gynecologic oncologist (80 years old) who I've heard is respected in our area. He also was the professor who trained my Dr.

I did schedule 09-11-01 for surgery. At the time I was having feeling of pressure or heaviness in my lower abdomen but that seems to have regressed within the last two weeks.

My Dr is recommending a SAV with BSO (won't fight me if I want my ovaries) but at age 50 think it might be best to not have to worry and have the BSO. His mentor suggests a TAH and BSO with Bladder suspension. My doctor still doesn't believe that the extra surgery is necessary.

Now here is my concern and question. Unlike so many of my other sisters out there, my periods have not been uncontrollable, minimal period pain and bleeding and small clot passing never gave me anemia. After hearing everything others have gone through before their surgery, I can't say I present with anything awful in symptoms. Perhaps if that were the case the decision would be more acceptable.

Is there anyone who has had fibroids grow that quickly, without major symptoms that still had them removed. It's getting closer and I am doubting my decision. My husband is supportiive but is leaving the decision up to me. He is aware of my concerns about surgery, recovery and dealing with the HRT thing, but he also doesn't want to loose me to anything that might present as cancer. The only way to find that out in a fibroid is to remove and run path. labs.

You ladies have impressed upon me that this is serious stuff that is why this is so difficult now.

Anyone similar out there. Would appreciate some comeback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Not Sure

Dear 2:

My fibroids were very similar to yours a few months ago. I'm 41, so I'm a little younger than you. They discovered my fibroids in January, and they were only causing a little trouble. Initially I only had 1 fibroid about 4.5 cm. I was just ignoring it, but when I had a CAT scan in June for some abdominal pain, the fibroid measured closer to 7.5 cm, and I had a new one about 3 cm. Come along July for another ultrasound and the big one was closer to 9 cm and the little one about 4 cm. I went to a new ob/gyn, and we scheduled a TVH. My uterus was at about 12-14 three weeks prior to surgery and about 15-17 weeks at surgery. It's been about a week and a half now since my surgery, and I'm loving life! ...well relatively speaking as I can't go anywhere and do anything! *L*

I would first see if you could find an ob/gyn who could go with a TVH instead of a TAH. TVH's are so much easier on your body, and if you have a good ob/gyn and only have fibroids, I'd suggest that route (but I am somewhat prejudiced in this regard).

The main difference between you and me is the hyperplasia--I had none, and anemia, which plagued me for a few years. Hopefully getting the TVH will cure the anemia!!!!!

Good luck with your decision!
Unread 08-13-2001, 09:52 AM
Not Sure

Hi 2Unsure Sorry for the late reply.

I had my surgery for fibroid and rectocele repair last December. While my symptoms were not as severe as some experienced by other sisters, I was plagued with heavy, frequent and irregular periods, to the point that I was borderline anemic pre-op and crossed that border during surgery. Combined with the rectocele, in my case, the surgery certainly was indicated.

What is different in your case is the hyperplasia that I didn't have to deal with and the rapidly growing fibroids. Here's what I would do, if I was in your shoes:

1) Ask your questions on the Cancer Concerns message board where you'll meet ladies with experience with cancer issues. That would be the best place to find answers to those questions.

2) Have a 3rd opinion: while I appreciate that both of the doctors you've consulted are very highly regarded and come highly recommended, one is of the older generation, a generation that might be a little more prompt to recommend TAH/BSO and the other is his student. Having yet another, objective, opinion might help shed a little on the issue.

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2001, 05:22 AM
Not Sure

I can give you my opinion, but you must remember that you have to make your own...this is your body and your decision will stay with you forever.
I was diagnosed with cervical cancer...no pain, no bad periods, nothing to make me feel like I needed a surgery. I knew what the future "could" hold for me, and I didn't want that. I had a doctor who was ready to perform surgery and I went for it. I understand that you stated fibroids, but your dr also told you that they were fast growing. I can't help but to think that if you are going to eventually need surgery, that it would be best to have it done while things are still in the beginning stages. Consider yourself a lucky woman to not have to go through the pain that many women do. I know that hrt is no treat, but menopause happens to every woman and we all need to deal with it at some time. I hope that I am not coming off too strong for you, but it sounds like you are asking for opinions, but finding it hard to get them. Just remember that you must do what you feel is right for you. I wish you the very best!!
Unread 08-14-2001, 07:19 AM
this sounds similar...

It sounds like we're in the same boat to a certain degree. I've also been told the only way to see if the uterus is cancer free is to take it out and have a good look-see. I'm 5l and like you have never had any problems apart from starting bleeding again after a 5-6 month lapse, which they figure made me in the post-menopause zone. I have 2 small fibroids and an enlarged uterus and marked thickening of th endometrila ehcocomplex. (gad! it honestly sounds like I know what I'm talking about...) My Gyno doesn't want to do a D & C as he figures it to be inconclusive and cancer screening tests he thinks do not give an accurate enough reading....

I'm looking at surgery on the 3lst and also, like you, am still doubtful whether this is the only option open to me. I'm going to try to get a third opinion within the next couple of weeks and like you've heard on this forum already, it certainly can't hurt. At the very least, it'll soothe the mind and maybe cast a different light onto the situation.

I agree with you, are we doing the right thing??? Lynieloo
Unread 08-14-2001, 07:43 AM
I had no real symptoms either

I just wanted to let you know that even though I had a fibroid the size of a honeydew melon, I had no real symptoms either. I only had bad cramping the first couple of days of my extremely regular period. My doctor informed me that this fibroid could put pressure on other organs causing some pretty nasty problems and he was quite surprised it hadn't done that yet.

I had a TAH on July 5th (kept my ovaries). My recovery has been uncomplicated and has gone very well. It will be 6 weeks on Thursday and I feel almost completely recovered.

I don't know if this is considered fast growing, but 2 years prior the fibroid was the size of a small orange. Just had my checkup and the doctor told me the pathology report showed no sign of cancer in the fibroid or my cervix.

I realize this is my experience, but I wanted to let you know you don't have to be miserable and in lots of pain and misery to require surgery. My opinion would be to get the fibroid out before it gets out of hand. You may still be able to have a TVH unless it gets too large.

Hope this helps you.
Connie
Unread 08-14-2001, 08:22 AM
Not Sure

I had a TAH in August 2000 for rapidly growing fibroids--When the subject of a hyst was first brought up in Dec. 99 my uterus was at about 12 weeks, the two largest tumors were 7cm and 9cm--(during my ultrasound the tech said she couldn't evaluate the ovaries because my uterus was full of tumors). I was just short of my 46th birthday and had minimal symptoms--pressure on my bladder and prolonged, heavier but not uncontrolled bleeding. The symptoms were an annoyance more than anything--no real pain. The ob-gyn who was my Dr. then had me come back in three months--my uterus was up to 14 weeks; and in three more months (June 2000) I was up to 16 weeks--still no real change in symptoms. He wanted to take everything due to my age--I wasn't sure I wanted to lose my ovaries, since no history of ovarian cancer and they seemed to be just fine. I went to my sister's ob-gyn for a second opinion in July 2000--by then my uterus was, in his opinion, a minimum of 18 weeks, maybe slightly larger and he felt the speed with which they were enlarging called for the hyst. He saw no reason to remove the ovaries if they were healthy (we left the option open for his call once he actually saw the state of them during surgery). I had a TAH 8/29/00, lost my uterus and cervix, kept my ovaries, had a bikini incision about 9 inches long. He said if we'd gone another month he'd have had to consider the vertical incision. My uterus (which should have weighed about 65 grams) weighed in just under 800 grams and had numerous tumors ranging in size from a pebble to an orange. Recovery was uneventful -- actually had little problem with gas and the swollen belly was smaller than it had been prior to surgery. In hindsight I realize now how often I had to go to the bathroom prior to surgery due to pressure on my other organs and I don't miss having a period. I DO NOT REGRET HAVING HAD THE SURGERY. My quality of life has improved, but also I was 100% OK with the surgery going in--and that's what is important--whatever you choose to do -- surgery or no surgery -- you need to be confident that it is the best decision for you, and you need to have confidence in the Dr. doing the surgery.

Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register