Had Pre Op appt. 5 days to go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had Pre Op appt. 5 days to go Had Pre Op appt. 5 days to go

Unread 01-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Had Pre Op appt. 5 days to go

Another thing behind me. The pre op appointment was only 30 minutes and she only took blood and, of course, the questions that I answer everytime I go in. No bowel prep
My pre op didn't sound anything like what has been described on here. I also got to see the room that I will recover in. Very nice, clean and private. Only 1 bed per room. I love it, as much as a person can love a hospital room lol.
The nurse really couldn't tell me a whole lot...she said I might not need a breathing tube. She doesn't think I will have a binder and didn't really look like she knew what one was.
But all in all a good day and I am ready to get this over with!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Re: Had Pre Op appt. 5 days to go

I didn't have to do any bowel prep before surgery. I only had to wash with a special cleanser beforehand. I couldn't eat after a certain point the day before, but other than that it was different than other peoples experiences. I only had a breathing tube and catheter during surgery so I didn't even know I had it. After I woke up and went to the bathroom I was discharged. My surgery was at 8 and I was home by 4. We stopped at a drive through for a milkshake. I kept up my pain meds and ibupropen every three hours and it has been pretty good so far. Good luck!
Unread 01-03-2014, 06:42 PM

My surgery is the 14th...they are telling me "one night in the hospital" I am having the ovaries out as well but is it just the dr. That decides if you have to stay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2014, 07:18 PM

It all depends on the dr for everything. I had to do bowel prep cause we knew my colon was involved. They didn't know how many days I'd be in the hospital because it just all depends. They had to work on my colon for 2 by itself. They removed everything except a small portion of my cervix. You could do a bowel prep just in case. I was on liquid diet for 48 hrs b4 surgery & 48 hrs after.
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Please, please, please ONLY do a bowel prep if you are asked to do one. If you are not instructed to do a bowel prep, DO NOT DO ONE. This is very, very important.

Doing a bowel prep is surgery dependent and doctor preference. They will let you know if you need to do one. I did one for my surgery, but other ladies did not do one.

Here are two articles on bowel preps:
Bowel Prep | No Instructions
Bowel Prep | Should I Do One?

Follow ALL of your doctors instructions to the letter, and do not deviate. These instructions are for your health.

Unread 01-03-2014, 08:04 PM

I agree with Marestail... Follow your Drs instructions that were set up for your surgery. This way they know what to expect. Some also plan your anesthesia and pain control based on your prep instructions. If you don't follow them, you also run the risk of being delayed for surgery as they might have to change plans. I had no bowel prep the day before, was glad of it! But..when I got there in the morning, they handed me to fleet enema's and sent me to the restroom to do them. Small price to pay! My Drs opinion is that the major bowel prep can sometimes cause dehydration so they only do it if there are other repairs being done that require it.

I too only had the breathing tube and catheter while I was in surgery - it they hadn't said I was going to have them, I would have never known except for a little sore throat for a day after. Hard candies helped that!

I also was only in overnight. Less than 21 hours from surgery end time. I was okay with it as I had a 2 hour ride to get home and truthfully, I was happy to be waited on and I was able to ask all the questions I could possibly think of through out the night, make sure I was good on my meds - tylenol and ibuprofen is all I needed and know I was all good when I went home.

Good Luck with everything and happy healing!
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM

I had my pre-op yesterday too for my January 7 TVH. I spoke to a nurse on the phone for about 30 min. and stopped by outpatient services to have my blood drawn after work. That was it for me. No ekg, no x-ray,no bowel prep, no special cleanser. I guess I lucked out. Now hopefully I won't be handed an enema when I get there!
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:53 PM

I am hoping that I don't either. I wondered about that but not going to worry about it. I also didn't get any instructions about washing with any certain soap beforehand. Any suggestions on any certain soap I should use?
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-stitcher5 View Post
I am hoping that I don't either. I wondered about that but not going to worry about it. I also didn't get any instructions about washing with any certain soap beforehand. Any suggestions on any certain soap I should use?
I was told to wash with dial soap the night before and the morning of my surgery (which is Monday), no bowel prep though
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM

I was given no special soap instructions - just shower as normal. All doctors and hospitals are different. Follow exactly the instructions they give you and do not wander from them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register