How sick have you been.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How sick have you been.... How sick have you been....

Unread 12-27-2005, 03:54 PM
How sick have you been....

How sick have you been since hyst?

I swear I think they removed half my immune system too!

I have had a cold, respitory infection and now an ear infection...all within the past 3 weeks!!! ARGH, I am so tired of being sick. This is causing my recovery to be rather slow!!! Not to mention it has broke the bank. Can you believe $300 worth of meds and still not better.

Called Dr today for ear infection and the earliest I can get in is FRIDAY....OOOWWWW my ear is killing me.

Who else has dealt with illness since hyst?
Can surgery actually weaken your immune system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2005, 04:12 PM

Please don't take my words as being critical, but I think part of the problem is that you haven't allowed yourself the time you need to rest and recover. In a post by you on December 13 you wrote:

Quote:
I have been out of surgery 1 week and already have been to WalMart 3 times, drove to Subway yesturday for lunch (2miles from house) and was taken to lunch today.
While you may have felt good at the time, going out so soon after your hysterectomy may have left you vulnerable and susceptible to colds and respiratory infections. It's very important to take the time to rest during recovery. Please take the time you need to get through your latest health problems. One thing I've read here at Hystersisters since I became a member is this, "You have only one chance to heal right, and this is it."
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:15 PM

I got the stomach flu 4 days out of surgery, that lasted about 4 days! Now I have a horrible sore throat and ear ache. Went back to the doctor today and they said it is going around (of course just a virus!) but put me antibiotics to keep it from developing into something worse! The nurse told me that my body is compromised right now and I am suseptable (sp)to all germs..........great. My kids bring a lot germs home from school as I haven't been out much. DD (10) and I had the stomach flu together as did half of her school that weekend! My DS (5)has the virus thing too. Other than that hyster wise I feel great. It is funny, we had our surgery the same day and I was going to ask this question too because I have caught every bug going around since then! I am sick and tired of being sick and tired! I am just glad I am not having any belly trouble!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2005, 04:21 PM

It could be that you picked up germs at the hospital or in the doctor's waiting room. These are both places where there are a lot of germs, people coughing, etc.
I can't remember the percentages but they are quite high of people who pick up a viral or bacterial germ in a medical setting.
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:48 PM

Catherine,

Maybe I have over done it but I dont see it the same way you do! My child came home from school with a cold, then gave it to my other son then gave it to me. I was born with Bronchitus in return makes me have Chronic Bronchitus...therefor any time I catch a cold I get a respitory infection!!!! Now as for the ear infection God only knows. Guess Sur-Gurl and I over did it together, as she is ill too.

I just know, I have chatted with several ladies (not on here) that have also said they have been sick as dogs. Funny thing is not everyone who was sick, did the things I have done. So I seriously doubt my illness is due to my outings at such an early stage of recovery. Its more like...the season and dang near everyone I know is sick with a cold....most of the time I catch whatever seems to be around me!

SAR-GURL,
I am sorry to hear you are also ill. Man it can certainly bring ya down huh! I sure hope you get to feeling well soon. I totaly understand the children having things then you catching them. We seem to always pass our illness' around. It's nice to share but not like this...LOL! My prayers will be with you as you recover!
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Could also be that we don't eat properly after surgery so our immune systems are weakened . I always get sick from the hospital. You know the saying " if your not sick going into the hospital, chances are you'll be sick comming out".
I hope you feel beter soon!!!
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi

I am actually out of surgery one week and caught a cold right when I got home. So my christmas weekend was spent coughing and sneezing. I also ended up back at the dr today for a lump over my incision. It was trapped fluids and that was no fun getting treated. But glad I went to the dr. Hang in there you will get better soon!

Melissa
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:56 PM

I've been blessed and haven't had any viruses. I usually catch everything that comes by way. I am hoping it's because I have not been out much, have had tons of rest, not much stress (because I don't have to do anything). I did have a really icky flu bug the first part of November and about a week before surgery my Dr. told me to get a flu shot. My DH and DS's have all had colds since surgery.
I hope I continue to be blessed for the rest of the school year because once I return to work from the hyst. I am out of sick leave!
Unread 12-28-2005, 02:56 AM

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to hear that you are sick. I truly believe that our body will be somehow weaken after the major op. You know the saying " if your not sick going into the hospital, chances are you'll be sick comming out".

Well I have been fortunate and have actually taken all the precaution to boost up my immune system prior to the surgery and after. Glad to say that physically I am healthy and my Dr is very proud of my health condition now. Wonder if you have heard of this product called "Transfer Factor"? I tanked up on it prior from entering the castle as it is so well know of the millions of viruses that you can catch from the castle. It strengthen my immune system and resulted in a very speedy recovery for me. I am still taking this product (and so is my family) as I want to protect ourselves from the harsh environment (virus, pollution, stress etc) that we are in. <Oops! Links to commercial websites not allowed.>
Take care.... get plenty of rest as we all deserve it!!!!!!
Unread 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM

hildalgo2005,
How are you doing? I am still fighting an ear/sinus infection. Got another antibiotic today......I am feeling really worn out from this! keri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register