travel, swimming and insurance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

travel, swimming and insurance travel, swimming and insurance

Unread 06-20-2005, 09:10 AM
travel, swimming and insurance

10 weeks out today and I am leaving with DH and DS on vacation at the end of this week. We are driving to TN from NY (about a 12 hour drive) and I'm hoping I won't be really sore after we get there since I have to take wedding pictures the next day.

Since it's probably going to be pretty warm and there is a swimming pool at the motel I'm wondering if it's a good idea yet to swim in a public pool? I'm just not sure about the bacteria and such in a public pool compared to a private pool. (I have been cleared by the doctor for everything).

I mentioned in another post how my insurance company refused to pay any of the bills for my PRE-APPROVED surgery but I finally got notice today they did pay over half of them, now to see if they pay the rest!

Elle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2005, 09:20 AM

I think the driving will be more trouble than the swimming! If you are able to get out and stretch every now and then it would be good. As far as swimming I was told once the bleeding stopped and the incisions healed that it would be fine to swim because everything is closed back up. the physical activity part of it is good because you are semi weightless in the water, but not to do anything that hurts. enjoy your trip!!!

age 22 LAVH Mar 30/05
Unread 06-20-2005, 09:22 AM
recovery

First, on you feeling good enough to undertake a long trip! Just try and get out and walk around every few hours-sitting was the hardest for me.

If you were cleared for everything, I would think swimming would be fine. I was cleared for swimming in the public pool at 4 weeks post op. And I did, and I was fine.

The insurance was a worry for me-at first they only paid about 2% of the bill, saying all the other charges were not necessary. The hospital and doctor office kept resubmitting the bills with more detail and codes, and then the insurance would pay a little more. Finally after several months, the rest of the bills were "adjusted". My DH and I just tried not to worry about it until we were sure they were done with all their "adjusting"
It was pretty scary at first though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks! It should be a fun trip!

I've already told DH we have to stop more often than we usually do because I get very stiff after sitting too long. I'm also going to take tylenol or aleve before we leave just to get a head start on the backache I know I will have.

Quote:
The hospital and doctor office kept resubmitting the bills with more detail and codes, and then the insurance would pay a little more
I kept getting codes for "coordination of benefits". I must have called five times to tell them I have no other insurance but they never changed it. I also changed our address and the papers I got today STILL have our old address.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register