? about rectocole - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about rectocole ? about rectocole

Unread 03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
? about rectocole

Hi again

I didn't really have much pain from the hysterectomy itself after the first few days. I had trouble from the bladder repairs and had to have a catheter at home for a week --- that was not nearly as big a deal as it sounds, but I did have bladder pain for a few weeks because of it. I had discomfort in the perineum area from the posterior repair stitches for several weeks. Sitting on a donut pillow definitely helped. So did rinsing off the area with a squirt bottle full of warm water every time I used the bathroom, because those stitches can start to itch after a while. Still it wasn't horrible.

It's hard for me to comment on the recovery time because I had complications -- I got diverticulitis at around four weeks post op. If it helps, I did feel pretty good there until that happened. I do think the estimate of 6 weeks for recovery that most DRs give us is pretty accurate.

I have kids, too. They were 12 and 8 at the time of my hysterectomy. They went to stay with their dad for a couple of weeks -- I don't know if I could have coped very well if I'd had to take care of them by myself, when I couldn't even really take care of myself very well. I definitely had lifting restrictions -- nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for the first few weeks, and a lifetime restriction of 25 pounds (I'm pretty careful about that - once in a while I lift more, but not for long - I'm not taking chances!).

I would definitely arrange for help to watch (and drive) your children for a while. You won't be able to do laundry, go grocery shopping or drive for a couple of weeks. Reaching up to a high cabinet or down to a low one will be a no-no. Picking up a small child could be a devastating mistake during the first week or two. Do you have any family who could come stay with you? My mom stayed a couple of days; then a few friends plus DBF would come by days and help me some, and I was alone at nights, and managed OK.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
? about rectocole

Hi Linda,

Thank you for all the imput.It really does help.

I have surgery on a wednesday and I will probably come home from hospital thursday or friday.My mom was going to take frday and monday off work to help me.I guess after those few days of getting help I could stay home by myself.Maybe I will try to find someone to stay with me alttle longer.I just hate asking.

No lifting nothing heavy then a gallon of milk.Does that mean I can't pick kids toys up.lol I can live without doing laundry and going shopping,but not driving will kill me.I asked my husband the other night if I should show him how to turn the vaccuum on now or later.We both started to laugh,sometimes you just have to make a joke.

I do have 1 more question.After your hesterectomy did you gain weight?I really hate the thought of gaining weight.I'm sure I will have tons more questions before long.Nice to know people are willing to help.Take care my friend
Tread
Unread 03-01-2006, 04:25 PM
? about rectocole

Hi Well, I have to be honest... I did gain weight. Lots of it. But I don't think it is related to the hysterectomy. You see, I had complications, and developed diverticulitis, which required a major surgery and long recovery, and then breast cancer, another surgery and recovery... so I was sitting around recovering for a couple of years there. It's taken me the better part of 2 years to get back into shape after all that, but I'm finally back close to my pre hyst weight.

Having a hysterectomy in and of itself doesn't cause weight gain. Menopause, though, can... because of the hormone imbalance. It's very important, now more than ever, for us to get into some sort of regular exercise program and watch what we eat, once our initial recovery period has passed and the DR has given us the A-OK.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-01-2006, 05:09 PM
? about rectocole

I had a LAVH with anterior repair for bladder prolapse 11 weeks ago. I have, in fact, lost weight. I was not heavy to begin with and have lost 12 lbs total since surgery....down to 98 lbs. I was not hungry for the first few weeks after my surgery and now I don't really think about food. I do not have the same cravings I had prior to surgery. It's weird!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register