Shaving? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Shaving?

Any LAVH ladies out there - did you need to shave 'down below' for an LAVH? I know the top inch goes if you're having abdo surgery but not sure about the for the vaginal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Shaving?

hello,

had tvh/bso on 12/26/02. Was so excited after taking the catheter out and going to the bathroom that they hadn't shaved me. I was soo happy. I was worried about not feeling like a woman after surgery, of which I did somewhat for a while, but that helped knowing they hadn't shaved me.

tammie
Unread 02-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi,

Sometimes the decision to shave or not to shave is as individual to the doctor as the decision to give a bowel prep or not.

The important thing is not to take it on yourself to do the shave, unless the doctor directs you to do so. I've known of surgeries that were cancelled due to the patient shaving themselves. (Increases the risk of knicks in the skin and infection.)

Check with your doctor at your pre-op appointment about the shave. And if they do it in the hospital, it's usually after you're already "out".

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Shaving?

I had an LAVH Jan 30th. I kinda shaved a little and trimmed it up - but didn't do a complete shave. They didn't shave me at all. Hope that helps.
Unread 02-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Shaving?

Hi, I too have heard of surgeries postponed because of someone shaving themselves. Please let your dr do whatever is required at the time of surgery. If you don't want surprises, feel free to ask what to expect before your surgery.
Best wishes!
S
Unread 02-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Shaving?

Thanks everyone - I guess I'll ask when I go for my bloods - I just hope if they do it while I'm 'out' that they are as careful about nicks and cuts as I would be myself The 'grow back' period is horrible don't you find!! lol I think I might *cough* tidy a little .... you know what I mean girls......
Unread 02-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Shaving?

It's up to the dr. I was told I would probably be clipped with an electric trimmer. When I went in for my surgery the nurse in the holding area told me I was going to get trimmed and then after awhile she said I wasn't going to have it done afterall. I was happy and actually found out from reading this site that there are a lot of women that had a vaginal hysterectomy and didn't get shaved or trimmed.
Unread 02-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Shaving?

Hi Chris!
I too, um....'tidied up' before surgery. My doc said there was no reason to shave me. My incision was VERY low (love my doc)...and I actually have a few hairs that grow right from my incision line! I was very surprised to see them poking out the first time I saw my incision I can't imagine the discomfort of them growing back through the cut if I had shaved...YIKES!

Lynn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register