5 Weeks - Big Changes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 Weeks - Big Changes 5 Weeks - Big Changes

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
5 Weeks - Big Changes

Hi, it's my first post. and it's a long one...

A friend of a friend told me about HysterSisters. She had a similar situation as mine and she found this site while she was recovering.

I had a complete hysterectomy on March 16, 5 weeks ago yesterday. I had an "enormous" (my doctor's word) fibroid on my uterus that was discovered in January.

I spent 5 days in hospital. I have some pretty interesting stories about that, maybe I'll post on a different thread.

I developed an infection in my incision in week 2, and took antibiotics for 10 days. There was alot of drainage from the incision around my navel when the staples came out, that was on day 5 - I think it may have been too soon. It could have been the way my navel had been put back together. regardless, it was not good. The drainage finally stopped last week. That whole episode with the infection wore me down, and I didn't have much strength as it was. The antibiotics were very hard on my already nearly non-existant bowel functions. I was a mess. I was weepy, cranky, and very scared. My family doctor reassured me that it wasn't as bad as I thought, and that I'm not the only patient that this had happened to, and that I would recover. She was right.

As follow-up after surgery, I had been seeing a public health nurse 3 times a week until 2 weeks ago, then I'd go 2 times a week. The drainage stopped about a week ago, so my last appointment was today apparently. They tell me my incision is all healed, and I don't need to come back unless I have another issue. I'm still wearing a slight bandage over the incision (vertical) because the skin around the healed infection seems so fragile and dry. It's so itchy and I think all the nerve endings are coming back to life all at once. So I'm a bit nervous about uncovering it and having my clothing rubbing against it. It's been covered since the surgery and I only really looked at it last night. It's quite the long cut, about 6.5 inches, but it looks neat and tidy.

So after all of that, I'm finally beginning to feel well. Like really well. I started walking outside last weekend, not very far but I felt like doing it. I hadn't felt like much of anything up till then. I drove my car to my appointment today, first time for driving since my surgery. I came home, had lunch and went to bed for 3 hours. I might go shopping on Saturday for an hour, but I'll probably come home and go to bed again. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my interest in something other than recovery is returning and I want to do something out there. I don't have much stamina yet, but at least I want to go. Up till now I could care less and hadn't thought of anything out there.

This has been a big week for me, walking, driving, cooking, and the biggest change of all is that my bodily functions are finally working the way they used to. Yippee!!

Now that I feel well, I'm beginning to realize that I hadn't been feeling well in a long time. I think as the fibroid grew, it was slowly wearing me down. Little changes in my wellbeing over time really weren't noticeable. By the time February rolled around, I would come home from work and go to bed. I'd pretty much stay there till the next work day. I had issues with my lower back, bladder and bowels because the fibroid was putting pressure on them. I had very little interest in work, home or anything really. I was exhausted all the time and believed the fibroid was literally draining me. I named it "the alien".

So now I'm heading into week 6 with 2 more weeks to go before I return to work. I haven't accomplished anything on my "easy-things-to-do-while-I-recover-list", because I didn't feel well enough to look at the list, nevermind actually do something. But now that I feel healthy, engergized, and hopeful I'm going to get the list out and attempt to do one thing each day. I'll be back to work before I know it, and I'd like to have crossed at least one thing off that list.

So, I think the next 2 weeks are going to be more challenging than any of the other weeks. Why? Simply because I haven't felt this good in a very long time and I really feel like I could take on the world, or at least start the spring cleaning. So to prevent me from actually plotting world domination, or scrubbing walls I will make this promise to myself. I promise to pace myself and take it easy, because I'm still healing. I promise not to lift anything over 5 lbs, because all of the "do and do not" rules still apply, and I can easily injure myself. I will go when I feel like going, because I need to build up some stamina. And most importantly, I will nap when I've had enough, because I still need to rest and get even better than I feel now.

A L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Re: 5 Weeks - Big Changes

Well, bless your heart sweetie. Keep taking one step at a time. The only help I can give is...as far as the wound area is an old nurse adage about wounds..."if it is wet, make it dry. If it is dry, make it wet. Slap some vit E oil or neosporin on thar dry fragile site!
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:50 PM

Welcome! We had our surgery on the same date. I'm 5 weeks also.
Check out the Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 14-Mar 20,2011
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=435116

You can see how others are doing that had surgery the same week as you. I did not have as rough of a time as you. But for the most part I too am feeling better and doing more. It's like I go and do for a few days then I have what I call "crash" day. And today was my crash day I didn't do much of anything.
Glad you found the website.
Happy healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Well, bless your heart sweetie. Keep taking one step at a time. The only help I can give is...as far as the wound area is an old nurse adage about wounds..."if it is wet, make it dry. If it is dry, make it wet. Slap some vit E oil or neosporin on thar dry fragile site!
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:12 AM

I'm glad you found this site, too! Welcome!!

I had a dVH/RAVH on March 15, so I'm approaching week 6, too! This week was my first week back at work and I know EXACTLY how you feel...we never realized just how yucky we felt and now that the bad stuff is gone we feel FABULOUS!!!! Listen to your body...it will tell you when to simmer down and take it easy.

Hugs to you,
Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register