Do we have hot flashes forever | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do we have hot flashes forever Do we have hot flashes forever

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Do we have hot flashes forever

Does anyone know how long hot flashes last. I am 53 and had my ovaries out. Do yhey fo away or last forever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:41 AM
Re: 6 week post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejahthoris78 View Post
Does anyone know how long hot flashes last. I am 53 and had my ovaries out. Do yhey fo away or last forever?
Hey princess!!!!!

Unfortunately they seem to have a mind of their own and last for as long as they want to and it varies from woman to woman...as unique as we are. I've heard of women who have them for years but I have also heard of women who have not even had one!

I am 54 and I my periods had stopped at 50. One month I had a period and the next month I didn't and not a single drop afterwards. I had hot flushes occasionally a couple of month leading up to it and now, 5 months post-op, I still have, 'power surges' and sometimes feel like I could keep an entire suburb toasty and warm.

So, I think there's no black and white answer to your question princess. Perhaps asking your doctor may shed some light on it for you. I do hope yours will last for just as long as YOU want them to!

Take care princess and wishing you a continued smooth and cool recovery.

Hugs galore, xoxo.
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:56 AM

I never remember to ask my doc anything either. My mind goes blank there. I need to write it down i gueas, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I never remember to ask my doc anything either. My mind goes blank there. I need to write it down i gueas, lol
Yep, my mind is a 'blank canvas' for most of the time....(like to put a 'creative' take on it)...and I'm a great list writer!!!!! ...too bad I forget the list at home sometimes!!!!! is there a list for a list???????

Hugs galore, xoxo,
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:28 AM

Oh me too! I am a mad list maker! I have spiral notebooks full of lists, of menu ideas, shopping lists,long and short term to do lists, bills, and honey do lists!
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Oh me too! I am a mad list maker! I have spiral notebooks full of lists, of menu ideas, shopping lists,long and short term to do lists, bills, and honey do lists!
A 'Honey Do' list....oooooohhh, never thought of that one!!!!! One to add to my next list!!!!!!

Hugs galore, xoxo.
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:26 AM
Re: Do we have hot flashes forever

For me, I've only had a few hot flashes. I'm 34, and had everything removed. Luckily I haven't had, and hope to not get, any night sweats. My issue is bone throbbing chills. Are you on any HRT? My GYN/ONC said we can put me on something for the hot flashes/night sweats when I saw her at 3 weeks post op (I can't be placed on HRT because of my ovary path), but at that time I hadn't needed anything, and still don't. I see her next Tuesday for 6 week post op and will discuss the chills I have.
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBean22602 View Post
For me, I've only had a few hot flashes. I'm 34, and had everything removed. Luckily I haven't had, and hope to not get, any night sweats. My issue is bone throbbing chills. Are you on any HRT? My GYN/ONC said we can put me on something for the hot flashes/night sweats when I saw her at 3 weeks post op (I can't be placed on HRT because of my ovary path), but at that time I hadn't needed anything, and still don't. I see her next Tuesday for 6 week post op and will discuss the chills I have.
Hey there CoffeeBean!!!!!! (very cute name)

I'm ALWAYS feeling the cold and never thought to ask my doctor about it. I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on this amazing site(?)) to have our Thyroids checked if we feel chills all the time, so maybe you can take that into consideration when you see your doc next post-op. I'll be doing the same when I next see my G.P. Thanks for reminding me!

Great to hear that you do not have too many 'power surges'...there have been a few times where it takes me a 'little longer' to decide what I need to get out of the fridge! I can't have any HRT of any kind because of my previous medical history (had an endocrine pancreatic tumour/ surgery 4 years ago) so, the fridge it is!!!!

Anyhoo..... Glad to see you on the other side beautiful girl and wishing you continued happy healings.

Good luck at your 6 week post-op and keep up the great work!

Hugs galore, xoxo.
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Do we have hot flashes forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selias View Post
Hey there CoffeeBean!!!!!! (very cute name)

I'm ALWAYS feeling the cold and never thought to ask my doctor about it. I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe on this amazing site(?)) to have our Thyroids checked if we feel chills all the time, so maybe you can take that into consideration when you see your doc next post-op. I'll be doing the same when I next see my G.P. Thanks for reminding me!

Great to hear that you do not have too many 'power surges'...there have been a few times where it takes me a 'little longer' to decide what I need to get out of the fridge! I can't have any HRT of any kind because of my previous medical history (had an endocrine pancreatic tumour/ surgery 4 years ago) so, the fridge it is!!!!

Anyhoo..... Glad to see you on the other side beautiful girl and wishing you continued happy healings.

Good luck at your 6 week post-op and keep up the great work!

Hugs galore, xoxo.
Ooh, I never thought about having my thyroid checked. Not post op anyways. I know it's been checked before and all was fine. Thank you for the heads up, cause I will definitely ask her next week. My chills are getting better (maybe because I'm more mobile?) and not as bone throbbing, but they are still here, just not as often or bad. Hehe, just going through Walmart grocery section near the cold stuff makes me chatter. Lol. Hubby pulls most of our stuff out of the freezer, and I walk around in 100* weather with socks and blankets on. Haha. Well, not while I'm outside.
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBean22602 View Post
Ooh, I never thought about having my thyroid checked. Not post op anyways. I know it's been checked before and all was fine. Thank you for the heads up, cause I will definitely ask her next week. My chills are getting better (maybe because I'm more mobile?) and not as bone throbbing, but they are still here, just not as often or bad. Hehe, just going through Walmart grocery section near the cold stuff makes me chatter. Lol. Hubby pulls most of our stuff out of the freezer, and I walk around in 100* weather with socks and blankets on. Haha. Well, not while I'm outside.
Know that feeling too CoffeeBean! There are many times when I walk around in my dressing gown, gloves and slippers (always have a cardigan handy) while the rest of the family are in short sleeves and I'm forever taking things on and off!.. mind you, I had to seriously talk myself out of driving my daughter to school in my dressing gown one extremely cold day. Only thing that saved me was having visions of being stopped by a policeman for something and me having to get out of my car in it!!!! It's winter here (well almost end now) and I've been feeling so cold, so if I need to weigh myself, or need a change of clothing, or my shower in the mornings, I wait till I'm having a hot flash to pluck up the courage to take my clothes off! Just using 'renewable energy' wisely.....

Glad to hear that you are feeling a little bit better and hubby's are great aren't they? I'm what I like to call, 'vertically challenged' and my hubby is always having to reach things for me, especially in supermarkets!

Take care now beautiful girl and keep warm!

Hugs galore, xoxo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register