panties | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-17-2004, 08:20 AM
panties

I am scheduled to have a TAH/BSO on April 27th. I have learned a lot of information, but I have a question on panties. There appear to be two major opinions here. One take really loose panties, the other get ones to support the abdomemum.

My DR says I will most likely get a vertical incision. He will try horizontal, but due to the size and position of my uterus w/large fibroid tumor it may not be possible.
Which type of panties do I need to get for this type of surgery?
Will I need to take pads?

Thanks in advance for your help
CubicSize
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2004, 08:52 AM
panties

i normally wear size 7. i got 13.
Unread 04-17-2004, 09:20 AM
panties

I've read that pads are needed for the drainage/bleeding. Large panties seem to be the way to go. I've also heard of a tummy binder. I believe that is a separate piece of clothing. Some have chosen to use a girdle but I don't think they had a vertical incision. I believe there will be padding over the incision to help with the drainage then you put the tummy binder on and finally the panties over it all. When you are laying down and resting, you can pull the panties down, un-do the tummy binder, and airout the incision with your tummy exposed. Hopefully before getting up to do anything at all, you should be able to put the binder back on to help keep your insides from moving around too much. That is what I have read from posts and I am planning to do that for my recovery. If I am wrong--someone PLEASE let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2004, 09:53 AM
panties

I normally wear a 7 panty, but bought some 9's for the hospital. They were the right size. I had some drainage the first day and a half in the hospital, nothing since then. From reading some of the posts, it seems that the LAVH folks may have more drainage than us TAH people. ???

I had a vertical incision, (no choice on my part), but if I were to do it again, I would choose a vertical over a horizontal. I have no "overhang" that some of the horizontal folks seem to have. Actually I do have a very very teensy overhang, but only at night when I lie on my side Weird...

This website has helped me tremendously. Great tips and information!

Good Luck and HUGS!
Unread 04-17-2004, 09:56 AM
panties

I bought some granny panties one size larger than I normally wear. I took them and some spare pads to the hospital, but didn't need them-the hospital provided the mesh panties and they were far more comfortable, and also pads for drainage. I have some swelling, but not a lot. I wore the belly binder on my horizontal incision for the first day and it helped, but after the second day, I found that the belly pillow was more comfortable for support than the binder. We're all different. I'm glad I spent the time getting prepared and buying things I thought I might need. It kept me occupied and helped prepare me emotionally, but I'm finding I don't need half of what I thought I would. I already feel better than I have in a long time, even though I'm sore! Good luck!
Unread 04-17-2004, 10:38 AM
panties

i suggest the no panty route, i tried to wear larger ones but they were just too dang uncomfortable. i made it a coule hours before ditching them! i have had no drainage or bleeding si nce surgery so no need for pads either, i am not sure what i would have done had i needed them, the panties were awful!
Unread 04-17-2004, 11:04 AM
panties

i agree with not wearing panties in general--- i have not worn any except yesterday when i had to go for a doctor visit. no one here believed that the giant panties would fit me but they did/do. and also i lost 10 pounds in the hospital and another five since i got home--i will be 2 weeks post surgery on monday. i am wearing abdominal binders though .
Unread 04-17-2004, 11:39 AM
panties

I vote for no panties unless you begin to spot. I didn't wear any in the hospital at all (had emergency surgery and therefore didn't have any with me anyway.) At home I went pantiless until about two weeks into recovery when I began to spot a little. Then I only wore old, baggy, loose panties--I didn't like having anything squeezing me around the middle (I also had a vertical incision--39 staples worth length) I stayed in my nightgown until about the fourth week--nice and loose. Only in the last few days have I begun to get dressed and wear blue jeans. (When people see you dressed, they think you are then well. I plan to take it very easy for the entire six weeks, and my dh us a sweetie and has taken very, very good care of me. I am lucky and have had no complication from a full abdomical hysterectomy and ruptured appendix on 3/14/04) I still am picking my old baggie panties out of the drawer each morning since they are comfy even though I lost about 25 pounds during my illness and then the operation.

Good luck to you!

Annie
Unread 04-18-2004, 08:05 PM
panties

I'm just going to use the hospital-provided mesh panties, and I was surprised that they provide the binder too, so I can travel light to the hospital. I'm just planning on taking baggy sweatpants to come home in.
Unread 04-18-2004, 09:08 PM
panties

i did not get these panties everyone is talking about.....should i be jealous? actually ia m starting to enjoy this commando thing, espically today, it was HOT!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register